New, doing well, and have about 180 lbs to lose

Options
Hi everyone!

Let's see, I just started using MFP a couple of weeks ago but am only now starting to get into the community boards. I started my weight loss adventure at 330lbs on November 26, 2011. My BFF and I watched a marathon of Biggest Loser over the Thanksgiving holiday and decided we were done sitting around not doing anything with ourselves. We packed ourselves up and headed to the gym I'd been a member of for a long time (but clearly hadn't been using.) Then we went the next day. And the next. We weighed in, we took pictures and measurements and it all sort of fell in place from there. We've just started week nine and I've lost a total of 15 lbs as of this morning's weigh in!

November 26th was my highest weight ever - 330 and I knew that I'd let it go on too long. I'm 32 years old and I can't do any of the things I want to do because my size limits where I can fit, how long I can walk - and I'm just tired of saying "I can't."

I work out 5 days a week, 3 days of which I lift weights and do some cardio and the other two days I do all cardio. I still can't run much, but I'm working in one minute jogs every couple of minutes of walking. I intend to tackle the C25K once I have my endurance up a little more. I'm currently planning to walk/jog/run in my first 5k April 22nd, with a 10K in September and another 5K in October. I absolutely can not wait to be a runner!

While I've seen a nice weight loss of 15 pounds in 8 weeks, I've had some of the best non scale victories! For the last few years I've had a pain in my right knee when I sat down, stood up, or climbed stairs. After 3 weeks of strength training and cardio, the pain in my knee was gone and hasn't been back since. This was incredible! I take the stairs at work now and 2 or 3 flights don't really even wind me anymore. I can do 30-35 squats with weights when I couldn't so much squat and stand two or three times when I started, forget adding weights. My physical shape has changed! I have a waist! And hips! Who knew I had those?

15 lbs and 8 weeks and I feel like I can do just about anything I decide I want to do. Never in my history of weight loss (and gain) have I felt this way about what I am physically capable of and I'm hoping this feeling is what I'll need to get me through the next couple of years. I honestly can't wait to see all the things I am capable of doing!

Replies

• Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have a great attitude and I'm sure you'll reach your goals! You're off to a great start! Be kind to yourself and enjoy the journey!

Lori
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Great attitude. Welcome =)
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    welcome! your positive attitude will take you SO far on this journey :) and that's great to see around here! you've taken the hardest step by starting - and look at you!! you're doing amazing!

I started at 298 in July, and in just over 6 months I've lost 58lbs - which is insane! I'm doing my first 5k in march, but I don't think I'll be running all of it. I don't enjoy running, but I'm going to walk/jog it like crazy... then work on improving my time.

I can't wait to see your progress :)
  • heidi063064
    Options
    Hi my name is Heidi and I started 2 weeks ago with MFP. At that time I had left my job of 8 years to pursue a new career in real estate. I am still getting used to tracking all my foods, and I forget to track my water usually. I'm pre-planning my daily meals the night before and that seems to work out well. This week I have scheduled a 30 minute walk every day at 4:00 pm. I am starting to see a nutritionist next week, and I want to show her how I've been doing with MFP. I'm curious to see what changes she will have me make in my day to day diet. Thanks.

5507952.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    HOORAY! We are totally going to destroy those pounds together! :D

-the BFF
  • alegrria72
    Options
    Way to go! It's only my 5th day on MFP and this is the first time I've ever tracked calories. I started at 279 (ack!) and am both nervous and excited about weighing in after the first week. Since I'm just starting on this site I don't have any friends yet but would love to join your and the the BFF's support team if you'd like.

Let's do this!
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    welcome! I have 100+ lbs to lose also! plenty of other people have done it (came close myself once) so we can too
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! You're doing amazing! Whenever you feel down - just read back your own post! You're an inspiration.
  • gonzang
    gonzang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far! You have a great attitude. Inspiring.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your comments. I love that I'm going into this with such a positive attitude and I can feel it in everything I've been doing lately. Thank you all for noticing!

I'm completely overwelmed by the positive response I've had and the friend requests. You all have affirmed for me why I joined MFP.

True story - I learned about My Fitness Pal the second week we were going to the gym. After a tough workout we climbed into the sauna and relaxed. At the time we were always the only girls in the sauna surrounded by guys, but this day it was the two of us and one other girl. Out of the blue she asked us if we'd ever heard of MFP and whether we'd used it before. We both said no and she went into telling us about checking it out and what she thought and how much she liked it. And that's how we found MFP. Since then I can't even begin to tell you how many random, awesome facts I've learned while sitting in the sauna.