almost 5 weeks in no results will take advice

Options
im on week 4 day 5 of insanity, almost at recovery week. ive gained 2 pounds and havnt lost many inches at all. i havnt been on a strict diet, but i dont eat sweets/ or drink soda. but since i am a college student i usually still do eat about 1500 calories a day, salads/ sandwiches for lunch and dinner watever. i drink about 90oz of water, im 195 5" 8 and would like to be under 175 if possible. please give me any advice or will this change eventually with insanity? i do all the workouts, and my whole shirt is soaked everyday

Replies

• LilMissTalyn
    LilMissTalyn Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are building up muscle! You are pretty far into it but its possible that its still just so much more than you are used to. You might not be eating enough depending on how many calories that is burning, 1500 cals with that much cal burn might be putting your body into starvation mode. I have been working out for about a month now and haven't really lost either but my muscles are so hard, and everyone says that as your muscles build up they tear all over and these tears retain a ton of water during healing. I bet you will notice a change three days or more into your recovery week! If not, consider how many cals you are burning and adjust accordingly whether you feel you are taking in too many or not enough for the usually over thousand cal burn a day of that work out.:happy: either way stick with it. I don't know ANYONE that didn't see results with that that stuck with it, no matter how much they ate or how little. You won't regret it. You burn more cals the more muscle you have, so even if all you do is gain muscle mass, afterwards with a balanced diet you should drop more weight!:drinker:
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i havnt been on a strict diet

This.

Diet is the most important part of losing weight. You're probably gaining some muscle weight, but you still said you lost some inches. If you want under 175 you really need to have a strict diet.

Your goal should be I want to be 175lbs with a 32" waist, not 175lbs with a 40" waist.
  • bigbrownkid
    Options

This.

Diet is the most important part of losing weight. You're probably gaining some muscle weight, but you still said you lost some inches. If you want under 175 you really need to have a strict diet.

Your goal should be I want to be 175lbs with a 32" waist, not 175lbs with a 40" waist.

i understand, i try the best i can.. but life isnt full of strict diets, i went through a hardcore diet in the past summer and ran alot lost 28 pounds in 3 months. but i mean, i eat fruits, salads, and usually dinner is when it goes a bit unhealthy. but its not like im eating 2 big macs or something. its usually chipotle/ potbellies or other things
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

This.

i understand, i try the best i can.. but life isnt full of strict diets, i went through a hardcore diet in the past summer and ran alot lost 28 pounds in 3 months. but i mean, i eat fruits, salads, and usually dinner is when it goes a bit unhealthy. but its not like im eating 2 big macs or something. its usually chipotle/ potbellies or other things

Hate to disagree with you here but diet IS 80% of weight loss. Exercise is a good 20%. Chipotle can be just as bad as any other fast food product. It's all processed despite any advertisement of 'freshness'. Diet is key.
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I've heard the expression: you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. You don't have to have a STRICT diet, but you do need to cut calories to lose weight. Unless you are doing 8 hours a day of cardio and weights. Hang in there though!
  • bigbrownkid
    Options
    again the only issue is, summer i lost 28pounds, ran a little once school started, didnt do much didnt exercise much. maintained my weight until winter break, then i started insanity, since i started insanity ive been eating healthier then last semester, and ive been exercising alot more but im 2 pounds up.
  • cooter2533
    Options
    Its all about diet, diet is 80% weight loss like stated above, also if your gaining weight there is no way you are eating 1500 calories a day, You need to track your diet carefully and measure stuff out to make sure you are tracking your calorie intake correctly
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are building up muscle!

Yes, i'm sure he's been building muscle eating 1500 cals and doing a cardio dominant workout
  • Acg67
    Options
    Hate to disagree with you here but diet IS 80% of weight loss. Exercise is a good 20%. Chipotle can be just as bad as any other fast food product. It's all processed despite any advertisement of 'freshness'. Diet is key.

Diet is 90-99% of it, so you can't lose weight if you don't exercise? And who cares if something is processed, you can lose weight eating things that are processed
  • beautifulbeast11
    Options
    Its all about diet, diet is 80% weight loss like stated above, also if your gaining weight there is no way you are eating 1500 calories a day, You need to track your diet carefully and measure stuff out to make sure you are tracking your calorie intake correctly

Agreed. And if you are intaking a lot of sodium, your body is holding onto water weight. You could be gaining muscle if you've been working out as hard as you say BUT you should be losing inches then too.
  • beautifulbeast11
    Options
    Processed foods = high sodium count

The best 'weight loss' foods are fresh. Your food should have expiration dates. If they don't, you shouldn't eat them.
  • raylenebrooks
    raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite sayings. You can't exercise away bad eating habits.
  • beautifulbeast11
    Options
    One of my favorite sayings. You can't exercise away bad eating habits.

:happy: so true
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Can't help you with a closed food diary...
  • Acg67
    Options

The best 'weight loss' foods are fresh. Your food should have expiration dates. If they don't, you shouldn't eat them.

You are mistaken, is there high sodium in flash frozen fruits and veggies? What about protein powder? What about milk?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Can't help you with a closed food diary...

yep... open the diary.
  • bigbrownkid
    Options
    well thanks for the advice, i havnt used the diary for a couple months. my phone broke, then got a new one, and being home it was hard recording indian food. but i guess i will start up tracking again, and put a new post once insanity is done and then hopefully u guys can give me some advice then.
  • beautifulbeast11
    Options

You are mistaken, is there high sodium in flash frozen fruits and veggies? What about protein powder? What about milk?

I'm talking about canned fruits and veggies, frozen dinners, etc. I'm sorry, I should have clarified.
  • cooter2533
    Options
    sodium intake is overrated. i never pay attention to sodium and my weight loss has been constant for 15 weeks and im always WAAAAYYYY over what is recommended.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    well thanks for the advice, i havnt used the diary for a couple months. my phone broke, then got a new one, and being home it was hard recording indian food. but i guess i will start up tracking again, and put a new post once insanity is done and then hopefully u guys can give me some advice then.

Stick with it. One tip - hit your calorie goal as close as you can. It's a target, not a limit.