Do you think today's standards are based on an overweight na

Options
13»

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Forty years ago as a teenager, I wore a 13-14 at 148lbs. Today at 148lbs, I wear a size 8?????????????????????

Are these American sizes? I used to be a 10 at 9 and half stone 133lbs) at uni. 16yrs ago. I'm only aboutn140lb now and still in 16's. But my old 16 suit pants from about 10 yrs ago are as big as my curent 18 jeans on me! I think sizes are much smaller and designer jeans are ridiculous! Got some Levi's of eBay recently meant to be 30" waist, my ACTUAL waist is 31" so thought they would fit me soon.... They actually fasten just above the hip and so don't fit as my tummy is still 35", but they don't seem to include space for hips been bigger than waist these days?

I'm sure when I used to buy 501's 16 years ago they actually fastened around my waist too! ..surely that's the hips size if they only fasten just above the hips NOT the waist size!
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Forty years ago as a teenager, I wore a 13-14 at 148lbs. Today at 148lbs, I wear a size 8?????????????????????

Are these American sizes? I used to be a 10 at 9 and half stone 133lbs) at uni. 16yrs ago. I'm only aboutn140lb now and still in 16's. But my old 16 suit pants from about 10 yrs ago are as big as my curent 18 jeans on me! I think sizes are much smaller and designer jeans are ridiculous! Got some Levi's of eBay recently meant to be 30" waist, my ACTUAL waist is 31" so thought they would fit me soon.... They actually fasten just above the hip and so don't fit as my tummy is still 35", but they don't seem to include space for hips been bigger than waist these days?

I'm sure when I used to buy 501's 16 years ago they actually fastened around my waist too! ..surely that's the hips size if they only fasten just above the hips NOT the waist size!

Clothing manufacturer's often change the way they size things to reflect new trends. With jeans, the top band will be measured in inches, so if they are meant to be hip huggers, then you'll have to measure your hips and if they are meant to fit on the waist, then you have to measure your waist. It depends on the type of jeans, but I don't know why they would change the design of the 501s which are famous!

Sizing depends a great deal on the store. Some stores size up, some down. It depends on who their target market is. As one person mentioned before, if all the stores made their old size 5s into size 0s, what would the actual size 0 people do?

Having said that, sizing down is more common than up. Several of my smaller friends have complained that they have to shop in the kid's sections to find clothes. They also changed the regular inseam a few years ago, so now it's longer than it used to be. That was to accommodate the heels with everything trend, however it sucks if you are more of sneaker-type girl. At 5'4'' I am not that short, but now I find all new pants are way too long on me and I have to get them hemmed every time.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread ... BUMP