Rapid Weight Loss Question

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I am heading into week 3 on MFP. I am changing over from a diet that heavily relied on fast food (sometimes even for all my meals!), to a diet that is (IMO) pretty balanced and full of nutrients. I now eat a lot of lean meat, fresh fruits/veggies, etc. MFP has me set around 1,650 calories, and I am doing 30DS (aiming for at least 5 days a week). Other than that, I am reasonably active, my job requires me to move around a lot through out the day.

I try to eat back my exercise calories, and I eat if I am hungry. I haven't gone over my calories, but also don't deprive myself. I feel GREAT! I have energy, the workouts make me feel good, and I just generally feel healthier even after only a couple weeks of eating good.

The first week, I lost 4 lbs. The second week, 5 lbs. I am THRILLED at the weight loss, but also know that very rapid weight loss is not healthy. Does this loss seem to be ok? I am not trying to lose it this quickly, but if my body decides to, I am assuming it will just slow down here soon?

I am 5'3", my starting weight was 242, and I am currently at 233, if that helps.

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am sure as your weight decreases the weight loss will slow down, but for now you probably had a HUGE reduction in daily calories by switching from fast food to whole foods and you're seeing the difference that it makes on your weight. Enjoy :)
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It might be the initial water weight too. When inactive people start becoming really active they tend to lose water weight first. When I first started my first few weeks I was losing 5-7 lbs a week for the first few weeks. Then down to 1-2 lbs a week after that. The thing about rapid weight loss is those that stop eating and become active burning much more and eating too little than they should causing your metabolism to crash. Take it slow and reduce bad foods while replacing good foods, start getting more and more active and everything will fall in place.
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third week as well, and down 12 lbs... when we make a major change to our calorie intake/eating habits we will see results (and larger numbers sooner when we have more to lose!). My advise... enjoy it, don't worry about it. Things will even out soon enough and you'll settle to an average of 1-2 lbs a week. Enjoy the boost you get from seeing those numbers drop, they provide some of the motivation we need to keep going when the loss slows down :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're off to a great start! The rapid weight loss will likely level off in the next few weeks. Keep up the good work and great spirit, hit your target, and you'll keep driving toward success.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Stay with it for at least 2 months before changing anything.
    Let your body fully adjust.
    Most folks wont hit a plateau if they are appx 20% below TDEE and training on a good program.

If it aint broke dont fix it!