SALT - are you scared of it?

Options
AWESOME article on salt here. Few choice quotes below :smile:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/798/My_Take_On_Salt_and_Your_Health.aspx

8-year study of a New York City hypertensive population stratified for salt intake found those on low salt diets had more than four times as many heart attacks as those on normal sodium diets—the exact opposite of what the “salt hypothesis” predicts.

Overweight individuals with high blood pressure who are at risk of diabetes may benefit from less salt intake, but if they also have adrenal fatigue, that may not be the solution. Clearly, everything needs to be individualized for the greatest health benefits. Making blanket statements that everyone needs to lower salt intake is ridiculous!

High-Protein Intake Requires More Salt, Athletes Too

Adequate iodine is needed for the normal metabolism of cells, making it an essential component of diet if you are trying to lose weight or are an athlete

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    VERY NICE! I get annoyed when my uneducated dieter real life friends shy from 250mg of sodium in a meal. Thats too much salt. WHAT?!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    LOL.

And to add to that, excess salt/sodium will not inhibit fat loss. It can mask it because of water retention if you have an abnormally high day though e.g. 3000mg normally, 5000 for one day. Or 1500mg normally, 3000mg one day.

I don't know about the rest of you but I care a whole lot more about BF% rather than what the random number generator spits out (scale) :smile:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    CHRIS WHATS UP ESE?!?!! NO I AM NOT SCARED OF THE IONS OF NACL WHICH IS EXTRMELY IMPROTANT TO ELECTROLYTE BALANCE. THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SCARED OF IT AREN'T THE BRIGHTEST BULBS IN THE TREE.

oh_u.jpg
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    late night bump
  • dbwillis
    Options
    I watch it but no Im not scared of salt,,,
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Cool... thanks for the link. It supports my bias, so I'm cool with that. :wink:

I like dill pickles.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Over 4000mg for me on Saturday, I had contemplated ending it all by leaping from a tall building... thankfully I read your post just in time! :tongue:
  • alwayssavingme
    Options
    I hate salt! It's so easy to eat too much salt/sodium even when staying within calorie goal.

5268398.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i wouldnt say im scared of it so much as , yes i do watch my salt intake. i was raised with gobs of salt and msg in my food amongst food fried in lard ect... i never ate food without salting the hell out of it first ..at 42 i had a TIA which is a mini stroke. i have a history of edema to the feet and high blood pressure . last year in fitness camp i was there for a week..NO SALT SHAKERS aaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!! no condiments either and i was beside myself ..but i walked away from that week feeling way better and understanding how much sodium is in things i eat.. it was mad crazy numbers i added up in a day of what i ate even while i was on a diet..

since last year in june 2011 i do not cook with salt in my food or put it on my food when im eating.. i cut out condiments and will sprinkle franks hot sauce on my food per the advice of that fitness camp.i drink a ton of water too.. and even by doing all of this i still manage to get 1000 mg or more of sodium..i try to keep it no more than 1500mg a day but closer to 1000mg.. blood pressure is under control too and no more edema to the feet
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have traded normal table salt for sea salt. Not completely, but mostly as i have seen how much sodium is in the foods we eat. But no, I'm not scared of salt.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    I have traded normal table salt for sea salt. Not completely, but mostly as i have seen how much sodium is in the foods we eat. But no, I'm not scared of salt.

What's the logic behind this? Sea salt is still sodium chloride. Is the flavor supposed to be stronger or something so you use less of it?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Alwayssavingme & maryjay51: should probably read the link :wink:

PU: You should get a banana & sprinkle it with salt. Then drink some water. It will all even out :happy:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

What's the logic behind this? Sea salt is still sodium chloride. Is the flavor supposed to be stronger or something so you use less of it?

Sea salt crystals are larger, so there is less sodium when measuring by volume. That's the only logical reason I know of that makes it "better."
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't know too many Americans who suffer from low salt intake, it's usually quite the opposite.

Regarding sea salt vs. table salt, I read that both are "sea" salt and there isn't much difference between the two.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I probably shouldn't have worded the title as a question as it is really easy to see who is just answering the question without reading the article. I linked it because there are a LOT of people on this site who need to read this.
  • LabRat529
    Options

Yes sea salt is sodium chloride, but "salt" from the store usually isn't . That's the issue. plus sea salt has other trace minerals that "table salt" doesn't have.

Er... salt from the store is sodium chloride + iodine. At least the salt I buy is.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Yes sea salt is sodium chloride, but "salt" from the store usually isn't .

Stop making things up.
  • LabRat529
    Options

Yes sea salt is sodium chloride, but "salt" from the store usually isn't . That's the issue. plus sea salt has other trace minerals that "table salt" doesn't have.

Er... salt from the store is sodium chloride + iodine. At least the salt I buy is.

Actually, I just went and double checked. The ingredient list for my salt is: "salt" (presumably the sodium chloride kind?), sodium silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium iodide, and sodium bicarbonate.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Nope- not scared of salt. I really don't understand why people on here obsess over it so much. If I see "a subway turkey sandwhich on wheat bread is worse than a big mac because subway has so much sodium" one more time...
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Actually, I just went and double checked. The ingredient list for my salt is: "salt" (presumably the sodium chloride kind?), sodium silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium iodide, and sodium bicarbonate.

yeah dextrose is sugar, sodium bicarbonate is baking soda. Potassium iodine is "kI"(don't know what the purpose of this is)

Iodine.

Edit: Those that consume little seafood (ie the majority of the US population) are iodine deficient.