College and weight loss don't seem to mix!

Options
So, I am in college, and I have tried losing weight while I was here, but it just doesn't seem to work, especially on a college budget. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can do this thing while I'm at college, but still be successful? It is so discouraging at times because healthy food always seems so expensive, plus I am almost always studying, or in class, so not very much time to exercise. Any advice or support would help :) Thanks!!

Replies

• utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Does your school offer any aerobics classes for like one credit?? I would always add one to my schedule so that way I had some exercise added in to my class schedule.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    See what options there are for you on campus. Sadly, many of the campuses have turned to franchise food (aka high fat/calories), but on my campus, they have a couple "snack carts" where fruits are available. There are also usually salad options around. Maybe just get your own dressing and put it in your fridge?

I dunno. Just some thoughts. I work on a college campus and tend to bring most of my food in, but I do grab fruits and salads on campus at the "healthy" vendors.
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can't be much help here... I only gained weight in college, so congrats for trying! I wanted to share a blog with you, though, because the author lost a lot of weight, much of it (maybe all) while in college. The links on the left side of the blog tell her story and it's pretty inspiring :)

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/

p.s. she also shares some amazing recipes!
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    I live off campus and would take the train/bus to a certain stop and spend 15mins or so walking to campus/class. I would also take the stairs instead of the elevators. So walking to and from class would be 30mins + how every many flights of stairs I needed to take. I didn't mind huffing and puffing to class, but if you do maybe get to class a little early and re-freshen up in the bathroom.
  • celeste_xo
    Options
    I totally understand what you're going through. I'm in college too and it was definitely hard at first. There are some healthy foods you can eat that are pretty cheap.. for example, getting fruit and veggies is a lot cheaper than getting fast food all the time. I found what helps me best keep on top of everything is getting a slow cooker. Best thing EVER. It takes 10 minutes to put the food together at night, and then in the morning you can just throw everything in and when you come home from class/work/gym/whatever, you have hot yummy food waiting for you and you barely had to do anything to make it. There's some recipes I've made that are super cheap, and if you research online I'm sure you'd be able to find some websites with healthy recipes for cheap.

Some of my favorite cheaper dishes include rice or pasta - you can almost always make something low-calorie for those, and you can buy a box of pasta for like $2 that will last you a week or so at least. Rice is pretty cheap and lasts FOREVER if you buy the bigger bag of it. Another good thing is beans! Black beans are SO delicious and so good for you - full of carbs and protein, and less than a dollar a can. I hope some of this was at least a little helpful! Good luck :)
  • iKandoit28
    Options
    Hi, I've recently finished uni and found teh same problem - however - here are some tips on healthy eating on a college budget:

- Buy a regular-sized sandwhich or foccacia (eat half for lunch, and half for dinner..of course this assumes the srving size is HUGE)
    - Sushi or sashimi
    - Burger King - Grilled Chicken Burger (if you must eat fast food, u can always ask for no mayo or grilled meat in most places)
    - Pizza (ask for 50% less cheese, yes! they will actually do it for u)
    - mexican food (minus the sauces is great way of getting in some veggies & meat with little carbs)
    - Subway

Just stay away from those 'coffee and a muffin' callings! Instead, make sure u always have a good supply of apples, banana or any other quick snack to eat when the munchies hit!

hope this helps :)
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Your topic just reminded me of last week, I was in my PSY class and as the teacher was chatting away, I took an apple out of my purse and started to eat it...
    I kid you not, EVERYONE turned to look at me, some smirked at me, some seemed weirded out, some looked like they wanted a bite...

*cough*

The things an apple can do...
    Oh sorry, that story probably isn't helpful XD
    I do recommend taking your own snacks to school though, those vending machine "goodies" are NO good!
  • PennyLane1114
    PennyLane1114 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am also in college full time and work about 20 hours per week. I am on an extremely tight budget and I agree that eating really healthy can be expensive but I have found some ways to avoid breaking my bank account at the grocery store. First of all, I only buy fresh things I know I will eat before it goes bad so that I'm not wasting money. I buy many canned vegetables and beans, use coupons, and try to only buy things that are on sale (that is tough though). Most campus's have free gyms but I don't live very close to my campus, so I joined a closer gym for only $10/mo and it's open 24 hours on weekdays, so I make myself work out even if I've been at school all day and then at work all evening. It's REALLY tough sometimes but at least know you're not alone! :)
  • akninsas
    akninsas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You just have to make time for yourself to exercise. You can do it, but you have to make it a priority in your life. I am in college full time, I work full time, I have three children, and I make sure I work out five days week. I often study for tests while walking on a treadmill that way I can accomplish two things at once.

You can do it!!!!!
  • callen07
    Options
    Thanks guys! These tips will really help! I especially liked the tip of studying while exercising because I never thought of that, but it would be so easy to pop open a book while on the treadmill! Also, I don't know how I forgot this, but my campus just opened a subway last semester, so I will be going there for some healthier meals when I don't have time to pack anything :) Thanks for the motivation!!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I will be in school from 8:30 am to 8 pm tomorrow. I bring my own food. I know it takes time but it is totally worth it plus it is way cheaper than buying that processed food. Pack a sandwich and chips. Bring a refillable water bottle.
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I started my Last Semester of Undergrad and now I'm in grad school. All my classes are in the evening so what I do now is bring my own food like a protein shake and a cup of greek yogurt. I got to the school gym after class and exercise for like an hour or so. I recommend going to store and if you can get some chicken breasts for example and marinate them the night before that way you KNOW you got something at home to make and you aren't as likely to go out and grab something to eat after class.

EDIT: Also check with you school rec center and see if they have a nutritionist in house. My school has one and he's been really helpful. He specializes in college students cause he KNOWS we are limited on funds and time
  • theresa029
    Options
    Yes I know what have you been through, I'm also a college student. And it's hard to budget if you're going to buy foods thats really expensive. When I'm spending my full time at school I always keep myself in control when eating and I always walk a lot so I can still burn more calories. Even I had school hours, I still need to give time for my exercise and no excuses even I'm really busy. You don't need to go to expensive gyms. You can go outdoors or running fields and run. Running really make you burn a lot of calories. Doing alternative exercises at home. Push ups,sit ups, jumping jacks and crunches after jogging. I lost 17 pounds without spending a lot. Green leafy vegetables are not that expensive. Natural foods rather than junk foods or fast food :)
  • farmerstan
    Options
    when it comes to eating at school and work I simplified things a lot. I eat every two hours but when I do its a whole tomato or an apple or even one or two hand fulls of some kind of seeds. I do tho always carry a water bottle and drink nonstop. The only time I eat cooked food is for breakfast or on the weekends. I think I spend about 15 bucks on the week total. after eating top ramen for two months straight all natural foods taste so much better.
  • callen07
    Options
    Also check with you school rec center and see if they have a nutritionist in house. My school has one and he's been really helpful. He specializes in college students cause he KNOWS we are limited on funds and time

I love this tip!! I never even thought of this, but someone like that would help greatly!! Thanks!!
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Also check with you school rec center and see if they have a nutritionist in house. My school has one and he's been really helpful. He specializes in college students cause he KNOWS we are limited on funds and time

I love this tip!! I never even thought of this, but someone like that would help greatly!! Thanks!!

You're welcome! :happy:
  • callen07
    Options
    Does your school offer any aerobics classes for like one credit?? I would always add one to my schedule so that way I had some exercise added in to my class schedule.

I am actually in some sort of "p.e." class but it hasn't started up yet, but when that starts, I will have 2 days a week where I will get some sort of exercise in. I actually forgot I enrolled in this, so thanks for reminding me without meaning to! haha
  • tannerjared
    tannerjared Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey I am in college as well and i have found alot of helpful tips to shopping healthy and cheap. I always look in the local paper for sales and try to only shop the sale items. i know that sound simple but it really does work. for non-perishable items i buy bulk to cut down on cost. fruit and veggies are really cheap where i live so i make sure to buy alot of them and fill up on them. without much time its all about working efficiently. i am busy with work and school but i make it a habit to set aside 1 hour to workout. Its a hard thing to start but there will never be enough time in the day unless you actively set aside time. its all about priorities. I know school comes first but even if you have a show you like to watch at night you could take that time and do some cardio in front of the tv while you watch. Try walking to school for added exercise as well. maybe shop the local thrift stores for a bike to ride to school. just think if you ride a bike to school or walk you don't have to buy as much gas which helps with the tight budget on food that most college students have. hope it works out. add me if you want.
  • callen07
    Options
    Try walking to school for added exercise as well. maybe shop the local thrift stores for a bike to ride to school. just think if you ride a bike to school or walk you don't have to buy as much gas which helps with the tight budget on food that most college students have. hope it works out. add me if you want.
    Thanks for the tip! I actually live on campus, but my classes are still around 10 minutes away (in walking time), but I didn't think of that as being exercise, but I walk to and from class, 2 or 3 times a day, so that is around 40-60 minutes of walking a day :) I think after realizing this, i will stop being lazy, and not drive to class from now on. Thanks!
  • sammiskeptic
    sammiskeptic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Walking is sooo helpful! I live about a 10 minute walk from campus, and I walk usually everyday (either to class or work). Also, if you find yourself with little time to work out, put aside 30-60 minutes after dinner to walk around your school. Stick in some headphones and just go. Slowly work yourself up to jogging (I'm not a runner and can barely run for longer than a few minutes, so intervals of jogging works on my walks). My boyfriend and I used to walk after dinner last year when we lived in the dorms. Now that we don't, we enrolled in a fitness class for our winter term where we work out 4 days a week. It's a great way to get into a routine.

As for shopping, start coupon clipping. I know it sounds funny, but taking an hour or so on the weekends to grab ads and look for what you want is really helpful. Also, look online for your local ads. If I have time during the week, I usually look at ads for what I want to buy, and make a few trips to different grocery stores depending on what is on sale at each. I'm on a pretty tight budget, but in the long run groceries and what not become a lot cheaper than eating out. Buy produce when it is on sale!!! You wont regret it.

Lastly, use your school gym (if you have one) or just go buy a few weights of your own, and start doing some minor lifting. The more toned you become, the better. Muscle cuts through fat a lot better than no muscle. I have been taking a weight training class and I already feel stronger and better. Like stated previously, it's all about priority, and you just have to set your mind to it. Write it in a planner or set a schedule for the week and budget your time. You can do it, you just have to tell yourself you can!