Talk to me about Shoes

Options
Okay, so I want to start running this spring, and I will definitely need shoes - my feet killed me after walking for an hour the other day because the shoes I'm wearing. I have a US Women's size 10 (sometimes 10.5) shoe size, and a wide/extra wide foot - And unfortunately, I usually have to try on tons of shoes before I can find ones that fit properly. I'm also on a budget - I don't think I'll be able to spend more than $60-70 on a pair of shoes, at least at first.

So....suggestions? Do shoes fitting what I'm looking for even exist?

Oh, and the only pair of shoes I have right now I think are men's shoes - Nike Jordan's, size 9.5, but they are completely flat on the bottom, so I don't think they are meant for running.

Replies

• missfluffyuk
    Options
    I've heard that Asics are good. Other than that, I can't help you -- the shoes I wear are Dunlop Volleys and I get them for $25 :laugh: They're good for the first month, then they start to wear through the sole. I wear them for work as well at workouts, though -- and when I work I can be on my feet, on a rough rubber-eating surface for up to 12 hours at a time.
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you plan to seriously run and to do it on a regular basis head to Fleet Feet Sports or whatever your local running store is. They will watch you run outside or on a treadmill and analyze your gait and determine if you are a neutral runner, over-pronate, etc. Shoes are so important and not every shoe is created equal.

I am a pretty neutral runner and I run in Asics Cumulus and Nimbus. But go and get shoes that are right for you.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    As halothane said, having your run analysed is a great start, but also those places can make the moulded insoles for you so you can pop that into any shoe until you can afford a really good running shoe. The insoles are designed for your foot shape. They cost about £30-40 here in the UK, probably cheaper in the US. My husband suffers from shin splints and used to roll his feet before he got them, and now swears by them!
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I wear Mizuno Nexus runners and they are awesome! I live in Australia and bought my first pair from The Athletes' Foot after they did a fitting. Since then, I've bought another pair on Amazon for about a third of the price. You definitely need a fitting first and I encourage you to see these shoes as an investment because if they fit well and are comfortable, you'll exercise more! Good luck!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    research where the hard core runners go in your area- look for a store that does proper foot ananlysis if possible (can your feet, treadmill test etc) there are great running stores out there that don't do these tests (my fav doesn't but they have a mini track indoors and the experts watch you run) but as you are just starting out, a shop with these options will start you down the right path.

Your feet sound a bit like mine- for me Brooks Ariel (the female version of Brooks Beast) works best- I like brooks as they come in a variety of widths (I have flat, duck feet- wide toes, narrow heels) but I also like Asics, Saucony and Mizuno- all 4 of these brands make serious shoes for serious athletes but also forsomeone like me- I am not a serious athlete- just someone with foot issues (and ankle) and want to work out and walk and run without ending up in rehab afterwards

be prepared- you may need to spend twice your budget for the first pair (maybe not) but after that you can get your second pair (of the exact same model, preferably, if those work for you) from Roadrunnersports.com for example, or even Amazon
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Hi Again, I checked your profile and see you are from Misshouri- a google of Hardcore running shops - brought up these stores which may be interesting for you :-)

none of these are personal endorsements, I just know that finding the right running shoes has made a big difference in my knee, foot and ankle pain and want you to have the same comfort I now have!

http://races.ultramaxtri.com/2011/starting-block/video-gate-analysis/

apparently this shop used to be called the Starting block and they have a location in Columbia, Springfield and one in Kansas City
    http://races.ultramaxtri.com/2011/starting-block/store-info/

there is also a place called Ridge Runner Sports but they do not seem to have the same analysis system that both Halothane and I mention- good luck
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy with my Asics.
    I used to buy New Balance, but their quality has really fallen off, so my current love is Asics.
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have best luck with asics. They are also affordable!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I agree with everyone's recommendation to go to a running store. They will give much better advice than any of us because they will identify shoes that will fit your foot and running style.

That being said, I wear the Brooks Ariels because I overpronate and I love them.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The Starting Block looks like a great place to start! Surely I can make it into the city before spring! Thank you so much!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Shoes are something that are very individual, it is all about fit. What works for me may not work for you. For example, a number of people in this thread have suggested Asics. They are a good quality shoe, but I hate them. They were not for me. There is nothing wrong with the brand, but the shoe did not fit me properly/were not comfortable.

There are also a number of types of shoes, neutral, minimalist, stability, etc. Wearing the wrong type can be more than just uncomfortable, it can cause injuries.

Like others have suggested, go to a running specialty store and get fitted. The one I go to also allows me to try mine on a treadmill for a few runs and return them if I need to. I have done that once so far.