muscle cramp remedies

Options
Just started biking and loving it! But my thighs are cramping super hard and i'm out of sugar for the day, so bananas are out. Any remedies?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    tbh, i wouldnt worry about the sugar and eat a naner... if you really dont want to, try pickle juice
  • lunaephiliac
    Options
    pickle juice? seriously?
    I might go with the banana then...
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    lol yea - ive heard a lot about it helping relieve cramping fairly quickly. im sure there are other things out there, but bananas and pickle juice are the only two ive really looked into
  • Bear811
    Bear811 Posts: 14
    Options
    Maybe try a suppliment or tablet. We have slowmag in South Africa, its a slow releasing magnesium tablet it might help if you are not wanting to consume more sugars and calories. Ask a pharmacist to assist what is the best.

Salt could also be the reason you are cramping if you have cut out a large amount of salt in your diet maybe introduce a little more.

Good luck and well done on the excercise
  • ravikrishna
    ravikrishna Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The best thing for you is to take any Protein supplement (or any foods that contain more protein like Brown bread/rice, Oats, Muesli, Egg whites etc). This protein content would repair the muscles (due to any hard work/injuries) and you'll be rocking in no time.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I often get badly dehydrated due to a lack of large intestine and can get terrible cramps. I have started drinking water with dissovable tablets you can get in outdoors/sports shops. The ones i have, i forget the brand im afraid, are just electrolytes and salts with no added sugar so there are minimal calories. I know you can get them in powder form too. Things like gatorade are just full of sugar which aren't great for long term use. You can also try 1 part water, 1 part fruit juice (not from concentrate) with a pinch of salt mixed in to help hydrate you and to help you absorb the minerals and salts you need.
    Anyway, just my two cents. Hope that helps!