Learning to Run or Jog

Options
I want to start jogging regularly. Currently I'm unable to job for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time without feeling like I'm going to die. Haha!

How do I get better at this... I'd like to work up to jogging/running a mile or two or more at a time. How do people work up to that?

Thanks!

Replies

• Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I want to start jogging regularly. Currently I'm unable to job for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time without feeling like I'm going to die. Haha!

How do I get better at this... I'd like to work up to jogging/running a mile or two or more at a time. How do people work up to that?

Thanks!
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Search couch to 5k-it is a good program. And a lot of people try to run to fast to soon-slow it down. You will get faster, believe me. When I started 2 years ago I was having a hard time running a 11 min mile, now I am always in the 8 min or even 7 something. Just don't give up.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! It will take some time but if you can't run the whole time thats ok, do some walking and running combo's til you get to the distance you want and then gradually add in more running, you will get there! Good luck!

~Leash
  • VballLeash
    Options
    Just keep at it! It will take some time but if you can't run the whole time thats ok, do some walking and running combo's til you get to the distance you want and then gradually add in more running, you will get there! Good luck!

~Leash
  • VballLeash
    Options
    Seriously hate when that happens! sorry!
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I definitely second the couch to 5K suggestion. I started with that last may and am now running 6 miles at a crack.
  • sac04809
    sac04809 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When some girls at work were preparing for a 10 mile race they started with running 1 minute, then walk 2 minutes intervals, then gradually went to 2 minute run, then 2 minute walk intervals, and then did 2 minute run, and 1 minute walk intervals. Finally, they were able to build up to continuous running .
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I definitely second the couch to 5K suggestion. I started with that last may and am now running 6 miles at a crack.

I third this. Also, google for running stores near you. Many of them have how-to clinics and running groups. (the Running Room is a large chain to try). If you have iTunes, check out the podrunner series. It's an interval music mix that works the same way as couch to 5K intervals. I like it because it paces you. :flowerforyou:
  • Dedicated
    Dedicated Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5k now. I downloaded the podcast to my ipod and it tells me when to run/walk so that I don't have to keep track of the time. I had to repeat the first week because after doing it 3 times I still felt like I was going to die even though I was only running for 60 seconds at a time! Today I finished my 3rd week (but only the 2nd week of the program) and it has gotten a lot easier.
  • xenanoo
    xenanoo Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks for posting the couch to 5K Im going to start on it tomorrow. :D
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options

WOW! That's awesome and very encouraging. Thanks. :-)