Training for a 5K - any tips?

Options
Hi - I have agreed to train for a 5k sometime in March (HELP!!!) so far, in a week I can stagger on for 1.2 miles and then kind of collapse into a rolling walk! have any of you got any good tips as to how to train in a more methodical/effective way?
Would be grateful for all and any info.
(BTW I am no road runner and at the moment a mile takes me about 12 mins!! Hopefull will knock a second or two off that!)
Thanks
Flumpy

Replies

• bec2727
    Options
    google couch 2 5k, its a gradual plan to help you run a 5k in 9 or ten weeks:)
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I second C25K. Based on where you're currently at, you could probably jump in at week 3 or 4 and train up by the time of your run.
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I use the c25k program honestly you've just gotta start and have your rest days, I'm stuck on week5 and then I've been doing my own intervals but I'm signing up for a 5.6km fun run in Feb , and it's still going to be really hot but I'm determined to do it so I've just got to suck it up and every second day go trough the motions, I don't care if my jog is barely above a fast walk so long as I'm doing it, and I'm aware of what my body is telling me

I'd wish you the best of luck but I reckon you'll get a plan and do famtasically, I'd love to know how you go
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yup C25k all the way... It's a good confidence boost too :)
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I started C25K on Friday last week and i have done 1.25 miles already - it is brilliant - i was a total none runner (and do it with my 14 year old daughter who thinks its ace too.

If you have an android phone there is a brill app called RunDouble (you get a 2 week free trial then its 99p) You can listen to music and then a voice tells you (over the music) when to run and when to walk - its great

Only problem MFP does not give a calorie count for it as exercise so i have to guess (i guess around 300 cals as you do it for about 1/2 an hour)
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just started C25K and absolutely love it. Free app on IPhone, easy to use. Why wait till march, do it now. I go out is 30 degree temp. By the time I get home I am sweaty. Unless it rains I am out there (you burn more cal in the cold weather too, that's an extra bonus)
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I began with c25k when i was 26kg fatter... i wasnt able to run even 50mts. Now I train 10Km two or three times a week with no problems 52-54min.

So...

- Enjoy c25k
    - Take it easy... you will do it with time
    - Prevent injuries
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Yes to C25k.

Or, if you really don't fancy it, just try sorting out your own interval running. Don't try to push yourself as far as you can possibly go. Run for 2 min, walk for 1. Slowly increase your run time, decrease the walk time, till you're running a steady 30 minutes. That should get you reasonably close to your 5k target.

While you're getting ready, try to put in walking time on your rest days. THat helps to build up your running distance too.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Third, fourth and fifth C25K. Here's a link to the plan in its simplest form, though there's all sorts of podcasts, phone apps and the like available.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You also might find some of my "I found out the hard way" running tips useful!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I really want to offer you some advice here but C25K says it all...
  • heleflump
    Options
    WOW! Just come back from walking the dog - to find all these amazing helpful hints - they're fab - will definitely check out C25K -( will make a change from being the other way round - 5k2C!!) feeling motivated already - thanks so much! :happy:
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As method C25K is great... But this does not solve the biggest problem... Why are you running? When your body is aching and heart pounding, how are you going to answer the question, WHY?
  • sparky38351
    Options
    couch to 5k for sure! Also the best advice I can give is to make sure your fueled without overdoing the calories, and make sure you get those rest days in! Don't overtrain and be drained by the time the 5k gets here. Lastly...stretch after running so you can move the next day!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    As method C25K is great... But this does not solve the biggest problem... Why are you running? When your body is aching and heart pounding, how are you going to answer the question, WHY?

I run because I love it. I love seeing different things everyday. I love meeting different runners. I love the feel of strength in my body. I love feeling so much younger. I love having more energy then my kids. I love pushing myself... I'm going to get under 25 minutes for my 5K and run a half marathon in March... That should be easy! I've already run 17 miles straight. I love having my kids yell at me that I act like a 12 year old :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lesle1
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have agreed to train for a 5k sometime in March (HELP!!!) so far, in a week I can stagger on for 1.2 miles and then kind of collapse into a rolling walk! have any of you got any good tips as to how to train in a more methodical/effective way?
    Would be grateful for all and any info.
    (BTW I am no road runner and at the moment a mile takes me about 12 mins!! Hopefull will knock a second or two off that!)
    Thanks
    Flumpy

I had been walking before I started running. I slowly added running... walk .... run a little... walk ... run a little... more like a very sloooow jog. You could walk and keep up with my jog. Add your base first even if it's extremely slooooow. Add the distance. Speed will come later.
  • zontuin
    zontuin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Check out C25K!