Wireless Networking...anyone know about it?

Options
BrandNewLaura
BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
Okay, I figure MFP is a site that has lots of people with lots of special skills, and that's the reason I'm putting this out there.

I recently had to have my laptop's operating system completely wiped out and reinstalled, and because of that, my wireless network configurations are completely gone, and I don't know how to reconfigure it.

Does anyone here know how to do this? Would you be willing to help me? I can offer you...ummm...yummy recipes...support and encouragement...and...my eternal gratitude...any takers? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Okay, I figure MFP is a site that has lots of people with lots of special skills, and that's the reason I'm putting this out there.

I recently had to have my laptop's operating system completely wiped out and reinstalled, and because of that, my wireless network configurations are completely gone, and I don't know how to reconfigure it.

Does anyone here know how to do this? Would you be willing to help me? I can offer you...ummm...yummy recipes...support and encouragement...and...my eternal gratitude...any takers? :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I cant help.......sorry I am puter dummy.

I had to say HELLO! Was thinking of you today and you pop on! How are you?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Is yours the only computer on the network?
    XP ir Vista?
    Did you try going to start, connect to and scanning to see if your wireless network appears?
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Is yours the only computer on the network?
    XP ir Vista?
    Did you try going to start, connect to and scanning to see if your wireless network appears?

The network consists of my brother's desktop, my laptop, and the modem and router of course. My computer is Vista, and I'm not sure what his is. My computer does recognize that the network exists, and it gives me the option to connect to it, but it comes up saying that I need credentials. It asks for a user name, password, and login domain. I have a user name and password that were given to me when the guy from Circuit City Firedog set up the network, but it's not working, and I have no idea what to put in for login domain.

I've tried every combination I can think of, and nothing is working. I know when the guy from Firedog came to our house to set up the network, he did something on my brother's computer and then something on mine. I'm thinking he did some sort of configuration or something, and that's what I guess I need help with.
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options

I'm okay but very stressed. I am finally going to be going back to school to get my associate's degree, and while I'm very excited, the finances are stressing me out. Tuition: $1800, books $500, computer program that I need for one of my classes $100-$200, surgery $600, having OS removed and reinstalled on computer $100, potentially hiring someone to come reset my network ??? I haven't done the math yet but that's a lot of expenses coming up...and it's not fun...but other than that I am doing well...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I'm okay but very stressed. I am finally going to be going back to school to get my associate's degree, and while I'm very excited, the finances are stressing me out. Tuition: $1800, books $500, computer program that I need for one of my classes $100-$200, surgery $600, having OS removed and reinstalled on computer $100, potentially hiring someone to come reset my network ??? I haven't done the math yet but that's a lot of expenses coming up...and it's not fun...but other than that I am doing well...

school is like that. DH is starting up LPN in a week. You will be so happy when it is through and you can use yoru degree to make more money. it will all work out, promise!:heart:

Oh yeah, and I am so very proud of you !:flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You may have to go on another computer to see if he has the radio enabled or disabled. Go to run and do ipconfig. It should give you the ip address.

Did you try skipping over the domain name and just entering the user name and password?

I assume you are directly connected to the router with your laptop? If not hook up the ethernet cord to your computer and the router and try to tap into the router with your laptop. Use the ip address you got from your brothers computer to tap into the router.

Hopefully someone better at explaining things can help you:flowerforyou:
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    do you still have the software disc for the wireless router? I would start there and try re-installing it, this may just fix your problem...

I like to keep it simple the KIS method :)

try that and then let us know if it worked if not there are other things we can do because you do have internet access somewhere
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    You may have to go on another computer to see if he has the radio enabled or disabled. Go to run and do ipconfig. It should give you the ip address.

Did you try skipping over the domain name and just entering the user name and password?

I assume you are directly connected to the router with your laptop? If not hook up the ethernet cord to your computer and the router and try to tap into the router with your laptop. Use the ip address you got from your brothers computer to tap into the router.

Hopefully someone better at explaining things can help you:flowerforyou:

I was able to get into the router on both computers...the desktop and my laptop if I plugged in the ethernet cable...I don't know what to do with the settings though...

And there was probably a disk for the router when we bought it, but for some reason the guy who installed it took it with him we think because it's not with all of our other computer disks and such.
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone who gave me some input about this...last night while I was at church my brother somehow got my computer to connect and it's been working ever since...I don't know how in the world he did it (and neither does hes) but it's been working ever since...thanks again guys!