Lots of food but not enough calories

Options
I've been having gallbladder issues and have had to severely change my diet. I can't eat much more than vegetables, some fruits, whole grains and a little turkey/chicken. I have been eating small meals but about 5 a day. My problem is that even with 5 meals a day the foods I'm eating are so low in calories I'm have a difficult time reaching my daily calorie goal (1280) and MFP regularly says my body will go into starvation mode if I don't consume more calories. I definitely feel as though I'm eating enough food and the thought of eating more is very unappetizing. Will my body still go into starvation mode if I'm eating a decent amount regularly? I'm typically 300-400 calories deficient.

p.s.
I'm drinking between 6-10 cups of water a day.

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Its quite common that pre/post-cholecystectomies you have a change in dietary intakes... I would consider looking into some cultural dishes that allow more 'oomph' if you know what I mean.

Granted you are extremely limited on fats, fried foods and such, next to zip, but, there are many many recipes out there that could amp up your intake, and still be delicious and healthy....
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    didn't want to read and run but I hope someone here can help you. Can you add more wholegrains or slightly more protein? I know its hard when you have gallbladder problems (my best friends going through it too)
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I would say if its temporary, you should be fine. My mom had her gallbladder out in 1997 and eats a regular diet now. If you can, try some higher calorie foods like avocadoes, nuts etc but Im not sure if the fat content will hurt since they are healthy fats.