How is it possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ive been tracking here at MFP since right after Christmas. My 3rd week tracking I didnt have a loss either. Hang in there, you're doing everything right...it will come off.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Except for carbs are the only source of energy you can live without. You will die without fat and protein. I know this is controversial. There are scientists and MDs with credentials who will swear by both sides of the argument. But look I've read a lot and thought it out. This side makes sense to me, the other side does not.

And you can feel free to post your research. I would love to see it.

All I know is I would eat 20g-50g of carbs a day and run 10 miles and I not only survived (despite my brain needing 120g of glucose a day), but I even felt pretty good! I continue to lift weights and run frequently and have more energy and feel healthier than I have since I was 18 years old (31 now).

The research is out there and easy to find. The mainstream dieticians will have disputed any link I can find anyways, but its up to the individual to make a decision. I experimented with my own diet and exercise and found something that works better than I ever thought it would.
  • tboothgenthe
    Options
    I hear you sister! Been going at it 3 weeks and my net loss is zero. I lost 2 pounds the first week and gained it back over the next 2 with eating only 1200 calories and working out 5 days/week. I'm bumping my calories up to 1400 and not eating back ,y workout calories. I hear this will do it - hoping it will.

Hang in there with me - this has got to work. Our bodies can't keep the weight on with limited calories going in and working out - sooner or later we have to lose!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I have been on a diet and exercise program since January 2 of this year (2012). In the first 2 weeks I lost 4 pounds, the 2nd 2 weeks 2.5 pounds. I have been exercising 5 days/week and only with exercise have I increased the number of calories that I am eating up from 1200/day.

How is it that this past week I have gained 1.5 pounds! This is really discouraging!

Janet
    :sad:

You lost 6.5 pounds, and then gained 1.5 pounds over the course of three weeks. So five pounds over the time line... Meaning you are still ahead of the curve for losing 1.5lbs per week.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have been on a diet and exercise program since January 2 of this year (2012). In the first 2 weeks I lost 4 pounds, the 2nd 2 weeks 2.5 pounds. I have been exercising 5 days/week and only with exercise have I increased the number of calories that I am eating up from 1200/day.

How is it that this past week I have gained 1.5 pounds! This is really discouraging!

Janet

This is just water weight. Women get more fluctuations than men do, so you need to learn to take it in stride or throw the scale out the window.

Don't sweat it! Just keep working on your plan and you'll continue to lose.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options

Janet

You lost 6.5 pounds, and then gained 1.5 pounds over the course of three weeks. So five pounds over the time line... Meaning you are still ahead of the curve for losing 1.5lbs per week.

I agree with this guy. Losing weight is not always linear and our bodies do strange stuff. You may jump on the scale tomorrow and be down a bit again. But all in all, look at what you have accomplished. 5lbs in 3 weeks. That is a great loss rate and ahead of the 1.5lb per week healthy recommendation. Remember this is a lifestyle change, not a drop 30lbs in 30 days fad diet that will have you gain more weight after you fall off the bandwagon. Slow and steady and incremental wins this race. Its only the beginning of a complete lifestyle change! Best of Luck!
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options

Janet

you have probably gained a good amount of muscle from all the working out you have been doing. I would check your inches to help you keep track even better than weight loss. I have only lost 6lbs but i have lost 12.25 INCHES!!

Your muscle is replacing your fat. Dont give up!! YOU CAN DO THIS
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    It's hard, I know. I can relate. But my advice is to take a more long-term perspective. There are too many factors to accurately judge 1 week in isolation. Overall, you're down 5 pounds. Keep going. Settle in for the long haul.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I think its pretty obvious that sugars and refined carbs are terrible and should be completely removed except for maybe special occasions (we all gotta live and they do taste good). Complex carbs on the other hand are debatable. We don't need any of them though, so if you can tolerate cutting those out, you're probably better off.

'Obvious'? No. I have PCOS (which means i need to cut down) still eat two pieces of wholemeal bread a day and two pieces of fruit a day and am still losing steadily. Carbs are NOT bad for you. Unless you want to link to peer reviewed scientific studies (Gary Tubbs doesn't count) on this point you should stop giving out incorrect info.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Before you go low carb ask yourself if you can live that way for the rest of your life. I know I can't, so I do whole grains, whole wheat pastas, and complex carbs. I limit sugar but I don't cut it completely. I've had no issues losing weight while keeping carbs. Whatever you choose to do, remember that in order to maintain your losses you have to change the way you eat forever-- so if you really love bread then low-carb may not be the best approach for you (barring medical conditions that require it)
  • grinch031
    Options
    I think its pretty obvious that sugars and refined carbs are terrible and should be completely removed except for maybe special occasions (we all gotta live and they do taste good). Complex carbs on the other hand are debatable. We don't need any of them though, so if you can tolerate cutting those out, you're probably better off.

'Obvious'? No. I have PCOS (which means i need to cut down) still eat two pieces of wholemeal bread a day and two pieces of fruit a day and am still losing steadily. Carbs are NOT bad for you. Unless you want to link to peer reviewed scientific studies (Gary Tubbs doesn't count) on this point you should stop giving out incorrect info.

Yes everybody knows sugar and refined carbs are bad.

As for whole grains and fruit, I could probably eat those regularly because I'm less insulin resistant than many others. I still restrict them for the simple reason that they aren't necessary and not worth it to me.
  • grinch031
    Options
    Before you go low carb ask yourself if you can live that way for the rest of your life. I know I can't, so I do whole grains, whole wheat pastas, and complex carbs. I limit sugar but I don't cut it completely. I've had no issues losing weight while keeping carbs. Whatever you choose to do, remember that in order to maintain your losses you have to change the way you eat forever-- so if you really love bread then low-carb may not be the best approach for you (barring medical conditions that require it)

Yeah and I have to question all the people who eat 1200 calories a day on whether they can and will do that forever. I have no problem giving up carbs because I got fed up with having no control and binging on them all the time. The only time its a problem is because of all the temptation to eat them such as parties and work lunches. But it gets easier as I find more and more alternative meal ideas that are so delicious.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Yeah and I have to question all the people who eat 1200 calories a day on whether they can and will do that forever. I have no problem giving up carbs because I got fed up with having no control and binging on them all the time. The only time its a problem is because of all the temptation to eat them such as parties and work lunches. But it gets easier as I find more and more alternative meal ideas that are so delicious.

This is actually why I think 1200 or low carb is crap. Neither are sustainable for life. And the moment you go off of that lifestyle, you will balloon up like crazy. And this is also why I suggest eating more throughout your weight loss journey because if you stick with 1600-2000 calories, you can sustain that and over time you just kind of know how much you can eat and won't need to track.
  • camerongroupj
    camerongroupj Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have always believed 'all things in moderation'. I am very active, I ride my horse 4-5 times/week, and I am a runner (also 4-5 tiimes/week) so carbs are a very important part of my diet.

As for the bread, perhaps I will leave it for a treat on weekends! :laugh: