If you're going to abandon your dog...

Options
wellbert
wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
At least have the decency to try and find a no-kill shelter. Especially when the shelter is within WALKING DISTANCE.

On Saturday night, we came home and found a dog barking in the middle of the road. She was shy and not approachable. So we talked soothing with her and fed her. Eventually we got her contained in her own yard.

The next morning she broke through the fence and we found her waiting for us on our front porch. She was talk wags and excited jumping, but still very shy. I don't know her history, but she flinches when touched.

Eventually we got her in our own back yard so we could watch her closely, and worked with her a bit. Aside from being easily startled and skittish, she's a real sweet heart. It took an entire pack of hot dogs to get her comfortable with a crate so we could bring her in and crate her, so she could stay out of the wind cold and rain.

We can't take her on because we already have or own dogs, but we are contacting local breed rescues and will take her to the no-kill shelter if they can't help.

People suck.

Replies

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    People suck.

^^No doubt!! Kudos to you though!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    The type of person who abandons their dog to begin with isn't really going to care what happens to them or where they go.

Yes, some people suck.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    There is a special place in hell for anyone who abuses animals!

I am not a crazy PETA Vegan but does my blood ever boil when I hear and/or see stories about animal abuse!

Good on you for your compassion and efforts!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    What state do you live in?
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options

I am not a crazy PETA Vegan but does my blood ever boil when I hear and/or see stories about animal abuse!

Completely agree - makes me so angry :mad:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

• Richdogg38
    Options
    Very nice of you. People really do suck. My dog gives us so much joy at home. How could anyone abuse them?
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    you rock :drinker:
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Very nice of you. People really do suck. My dog gives us so much joy at home. How could anyone abuse them?

People are sick ^^love this
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    We adopted two pups from high kill shelters and I couldn't imagine a world without them. You are very kind and compassionate!!
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yes, some people really do suck when it comes to matters like this. It breaks my heart to see the way some animals are treated...but, this is a topic I am passionate about. I volunteer at my local no-kill!!!

No matter what you can specualte about (and maybe be exactly right...) concerning the dog you found, not knowing it's past, you cannot determine it was abused or abandoned. If I were you, try and call the local police as well as shelters to give them a description of the dog. Maybe someone is missing it really bad.

My dog is probabbly one of the most spoiled pooches on the planet, but she still tends to cower sometime like you are going to hit her, which I can assure you has NEVER been done. I even mentioned it to her vet. Some dogs just behave like that....
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do volunteer work for our local shelter and the dogs and stories of abandonment are so sad. You did what I would do. God Bless you! The dog is in good hands until you figure out what to do next. :flowerforyou:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As people have said above, some people really really suck. Who does that to another living being?

You are to be commended on your compassion and patience, it's not easy to convince a scared dog to trust you, even a little. I hope you find her a good home.

We have a cat that my husband found in a parking lot where he works, someone apparently just left him there. GRRRR! He's our baby now. As someone said, you should try to look for an owner, although I know with our little guy, as far as we could tell, no one made any effort to find him (we contacted shelters, vets, checked newspapers and online).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm in California.

Here's a picture of her:

http://sky92x.com/girl2.jpg

I feel so bad - like we're the first nice people to her and we're going to turn her over into another scary environment. But hopefully she will get the appropriate home. She is young, she should be fine.

__

As far as abandoned - Her owners moved out three days ago and left her with no food or water. Just left the gate open.
  • akumar73
    Options
    Thank you for being a compassionate individual and for giving this dog a chance at a better life :)
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    People are horrible! I don't know why anyone would abuse animals. One of my two rescues was the same kind of scared when we adopted him. He still has "people issues" but is doing much better now. Good for you for even temporarily taking the poor doggie in!
  • alapoint89
    Options
    At least have the decency to try and find a no-kill shelter. Especially when the shelter is within WALKING DISTANCE.

On Saturday night, we came home and found a dog barking in the middle of the road. She was shy and not approachable. So we talked soothing with her and fed her. Eventually we got her contained in her own yard.

The next morning she broke through the fence and we found her waiting for us on our front porch. She was talk wags and excited jumping, but still very shy. I don't know her history, but she flinches when touched.

Eventually we got her in our own back yard so we could watch her closely, and worked with her a bit. Aside from being easily startled and skittish, she's a real sweet heart. It took an entire pack of hot dogs to get her comfortable with a crate so we could bring her in and crate her, so she could stay out of the wind cold and rain.

We can't take her on because we already have or own dogs, but we are contacting local breed rescues and will take her to the no-kill shelter if they can't help.

People suck.
    omg how terrible dogs are so amazing how can someone do something so horrible
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    As an avid animal lover I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your actions. Your story brought me to tears. I wish you could keep her but I understand as we have 2 dogs already that are house dogs and we couldnt take another one on right now. I hope and pray she finds a patient and loving home.

I absolutely detest animal abusers, one of the lowest forms of human beings on this earth.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would agree to check with local places to see if maybe the dog was just lost too... I have 3 cats. If one of them ever got out I could see her cowering like that. She is skittish and is scared of:

People wearing shoes (the noise bothers her normally my husand and I always walk around barefoot until we are about to leave so she just stays away from the doors then.

People she doesn't know, during hurricane Irene we were asked to leave so we took the cats and went to my parents. The other two were hanging out with the rest of my family and this one was still cowering in a room we set up for them to have some space, that only DH and I went into. She hated it.

She would definitely shy away from someone if she got out and they found her... but she was never abused and is a very loved kitty!!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm in California.

Here's a picture of her:

http://sky92x.com/girl2.jpg

I feel so bad - like we're the first nice people to her and we're going to turn her over into another scary environment. But hopefully she will get the appropriate home. She is young, she should be fine.

As far as abandoned - Her owners moved out three days ago and left her with no food or water. Just left the gate open.
    Awwww she's a Pittie or at least a part Pit. If I wasnt in Alberta I'd take her in. I have 2 and they are extremely lovey dogs.
    __