just purchased a road bike

Options
Holy cow, I can hardly wait the week it will take for it to get here! I just ordered a road bike and I can't wait to start logging miles. I am especially looking forward to biking to work. I have wanted one for seriously like 10 years and I finally bought one. How cool is that! Well to be perfectly honest, it is a cyclocross bike and not a pure road bike, but several of my roady friends said that it would be a little more comfortable while still retaining a good bit of speed when a road tire was used. Check it out if you want at bikes direct : http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cross_pro.htm if you want. I used to race mountain bike, but have been envious of road riders speed...not anymore. Man, I am so geeked.

Kind of funny story. I have been mentioning it to my wife for about a week. She kept saying oh, maybe once we take care of so of the things around the house, and then today she was like "just order it, I am tired of hearing about it" So needless to say, I did. I am sure she didn't think I would order, but no at least I can say "but you sad I could" not that it really means much.

Man do I want to ride...

Replies

• meatball
    meatball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, I can hardly wait the week it will take for it to get here! I just ordered a road bike and I can't wait to start logging miles. I am especially looking forward to biking to work. I have wanted one for seriously like 10 years and I finally bought one. How cool is that! Well to be perfectly honest, it is a cyclocross bike and not a pure road bike, but several of my roady friends said that it would be a little more comfortable while still retaining a good bit of speed when a road tire was used. Check it out if you want at bikes direct : http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cross_pro.htm if you want. I used to race mountain bike, but have been envious of road riders speed...not anymore. Man, I am so geeked.

Kind of funny story. I have been mentioning it to my wife for about a week. She kept saying oh, maybe once we take care of so of the things around the house, and then today she was like "just order it, I am tired of hearing about it" So needless to say, I did. I am sure she didn't think I would order, but no at least I can say "but you sad I could" not that it really means much.

Man do I want to ride...
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    The Tour de France will be serving Meatball
  • gflynt
    gflynt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That's cool, man!

Yeah, wives seem reluctant to let us invest in things like this.... I tend to order and THEN tell her (easier to ask foregiveness than permission rule)!

It is a great augment/alternative to running! Enjoy!

:bigsmile:
  • meatball
    Options
    lance is gonna wish he never came back...
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    Sounds like you are a happy camper! I mean, BIKER!!!!
    Did you order a helmet to protect that noggin????????????????
    Congrats!
    :smile:
  • meatball
    Options
    its funny, I hardly ever want to get stuff for myself, but I have expensive hobbies, so I buy one thing a year. She doesn't have the same spending practices. She will spend 200 a month, all year, on who knows what.

I never say a word about her stuff, so she really doesn't get too tweaked about mine. It just seems like so much when I say, hey, I need a grand for xyz... I think it catches her by surprise, you know.

I didn't order a new helmet - got one at christmas for my mountain bike, and it is actually more of a road helmet(gift recievers can't be too picky). I ALWAYS wear a helmet though. The weightless feeling of flyng through the air pre-crash seems way less fun when there is a risk of having brains all over the road/trail. A good helmet goes a long way to making a crash into less of a life flashing before the eyes thing and more of a man these brush burns are gonna be a real pain to deal with thing.
  • gflynt
    Options
    Dude...are you married to my wife?!?!

Blouses galore....but when I mention I need an $80 Body Fat Measuring scale....I get the rolling eyes.....LOL!

I do love her though! Dizzang!
  • meatball
    Options
    wouldn't live without her (my wife, not yours, of course:laugh:
  • gflynt
    Options
    LMAO!!

True Dat!

(although, I should mention that I am too old to use "dat".)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I got a road bike last year, the Giant OCR-2. I LOVE it!! My hubby bought it for me for our 12th anniversary (he knew I really wanted it! :heart: ). I had a Trek Hybrid before that, but once I got into doing triathlons I needed the road bike to keep up!!

You will love it!!

Jess
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at how light road bikes are! I have a bike that DH bought for me a couple of years ago, kind of a half and half bike, not quite as sturdy as a mountain bike, but more rugged than a road bike. I like it, but when we bought my 15 year old his new road bike (he puts on about 20 to 30 miles a day during the summer, riding to town to visit friends and do stuff), I was jealous! It was soooo light, and fast! He shaved 15 minutes off of his ride back and forth. Got caught in a thunderstorm, so I took the van to go pick him up, and where I struggle to get my bike in there, I just had no problems with his, and his is bigger!

I want a road bike now! :sad:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I am amazed at how light road bikes are! I have a bike that DH bought for me a couple of years ago, kind of a half and half bike, not quite as sturdy as a mountain bike, but more rugged than a road bike. I like it, but when we bought my 15 year old his new road bike (he puts on about 20 to 30 miles a day during the summer, riding to town to visit friends and do stuff), I was jealous! It was soooo light, and fast! He shaved 15 minutes off of his ride back and forth. Got caught in a thunderstorm, so I took the van to go pick him up, and where I struggle to get my bike in there, I just had no problems with his, and his is bigger!

I want a road bike now! :sad:

Oh yeah, it is amazing the difference. I can lift my road bike like nothin'!! :bigsmile: I took it out for a spin on Tuesday and then y'day... I am loving the spring like weather to get back out on the road! :bigsmile:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Congrats on yur purchase. I'm sure the bike thread will start up soon. There is a few of us who like to get out and enjoy our rides.

Looks like a good purchase. Take alook around your area to see if there are any cycling clubs. Always a great source of information and riding partners.
  • trackgirl89
    Options
    Reading all these posts has me itching to ride! What a great sport- so fun- not to mention a great work out that burns a crazy amount of calories. I got a new Felt bike last spring and I still love it. I've been doing the spinning classes- but it's not the same as being out there.

Congrats on the new bike! Happy riding!:glasses:
  • gflynt
    Options
    My first road bike was an OCR-2 also! It was stolen within 2 weeks of moving to Chicago. Grrrr!

I replaced it with a 30 year old Myata (sp?) that I turned into a single speed. Love it!
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options
    meatball congrats on your new bike!! cant wait till nice weather so i can hit the road and trails!!!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    jess, do you notice a big difference in speed on your road bike from the Trek hybrid? I have a Trek 7100 hybrid (really good bike), but I want somthing that can eat up miles faster. Yesterday I rode a 10 mile course (to test out my new HRM) with rolling hills, average 15 mph. My HRM avg was 151 BPM. I was working pretty hard to keep up the speed. I'm thinking about a Specialized or Cannondale bike. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I went from a Trek hybrid to a Trek road bike back in Sept and I could tell a difference...big difference.

Enjoy your bike meatball
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Bambi, is there much of a speed difference between the two, considering that you put forth the same effort over a specific course? Thanks (call me Frank).

Also, what about seat & overall comfort?
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    jess, do you notice a big difference in speed on your road bike from the Trek hybrid? I have a Trek 7100 hybrid (really good bike), but I want somthing that can eat up miles faster. Yesterday I rode a 10 mile course (to test out my new HRM) with rolling hills, average 15 mph. My HRM avg was 151 BPM. I was working pretty hard to keep up the speed. I'm thinking about a Specialized or Cannondale bike. Any suggestions? Thanks.

HUGE difference. I have the Trek 7200 hybrid and I can't beleive how much faster I can go on my road bike. Last summer I was averaging around 17 mph or so on my Hybrid. As soon as I go the road bike (and clipless pedals and biking shoes!!), I was easily hitting 20mph and above average. I have heard good thing about Specialized and Cannondales. I went for the Giant OCR-2 because the price was right. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, I mainly use my bike for triathlons. Happy bike shopping! :flowerforyou: