First day on MFP and HUNGRY!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Well, I started this morning after signing up on MFP last night. However, I am HUNGRY!!! I have been up since 5:30am EST and got a glass of water right away. Then, around 7am, I ate some Coco Wheats (hot chocolate breakfast cereal like Cream of Wheat), 6 grapes and drank water. But, I am finding that being at home, I would normally grab a snack and I am just not sure what to grab. Seems that everywhere I look there is something I should not eat but not a whole lot I can. Uggghhhhh!!! I need to grocery shop so I have some fruits and veggies to snack. And this drinking water is going to kill me. I WANT SOME CRYSTAL LIGHT TEA!!!!! LOL! Can you tell I am having a tough morning???

Any suggestions for someone who is on their first day and not sure really what to do? HELP!!!

Well, Coco Wheats for breakfast is a big part of the problem. Try something with a lot more protein! Peanut butter, or I like cottage cheese for breakfast with fruit. For right now, it's important you not feel actual hunger, which is different from just craving food. Don't you have any peanut butter or some nuts around? Something like that would stave off hunger. Also, if the reason you're not having the tea is not because you are out, go ahead and have some. If you're feeling deprived that little bit of sweet might help and it's a whole lot better than eating a bunch of calorie laden crap.
  • Supercatie80
    Supercatie80 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Do you have any broth based soups in the house? Eating broth soups is a really great way to satisfy your hunger but not load on the calories. They can be high in sodium but you can work on buying healthier soups later. The first few days can be tough.

I would say not to stress out about the crystal light tea. If you want some, drink some. Just stick to the portion sizes. When I first started, I ate everything I was used to eating, I just made myself more aware of portion sizes. Then I gradually started changing the things I was eating. Now, when I used to have a beer, soda, or glass of wine with dinner, I have water instead. Rather than putting sugar in my tea, I now use truvia, or nothing at all. Veggies, fruits, and salads have become a more regular part of my meals and snacks.

When you go out to eat, divide everything on your plate in half, exept for veggies and take the rest home. Food establishments always give you way too much! If you do this before you start eating, you'll know when to stop. Another good tip is to put your fork down in between every bite, eat slowly and enjoy what you are tasting. Then take a drink of water and have another bite. This is called "Mindful Eating". If you slow down the rate at which you intake food, you're body has more of a chance to tell you that its full.

If you're really worried about snacking, make it a walking snack or snack and then take a walk with your kids. They'll enjoy the outside time and you'll feel less guilty about snacking.

Hang in there! Things will get easier as you start creating new eating habits and start becoming more active.