Lost in the gym...

Options
I am a member at the YMCA and the only time I am able to go is after 6pm when there are a million other people there. I am just starting to work out and really am not sure how to start or what to do. Does anyone have a good, easy, beginner cardio workout routine I could do?? Usually I will warm up by doing 20 minutes on the stationary bike (the one with a back) and then I do as much as I can walking/jogging on the treadmill. My gym also offers classes but I don't have a buddy to go with and I feel like I'm not ready to take anything on quite yet....but i need help because I feel like I am not taking advantage of my time at the gym! Thanks!!

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great but you also want to be doing weights.

Is there a trainer that you can see for a session to help you get started? Most gyms offer it, and I'd inquire about it.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion, make an appointment with someone at they gym. Have them show you around, explain how to use each machine, etc. I would be willing to bet they'd help you with some workout ideas as well. :)
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I am only just starting my journey after having biiiiig ankle surgery this summer / fall.

I do 30 minutes on the elliptical, and then 30 minutes on the recumbent bike. It's not strength training, but it's SOMETHING.

The ymca does offter a gym orientation class, but you can also ask the people working at the desk if they can give you some pointers. The employees at my gym are smoking hot young guys, so i haven't managed to talk to them yet... ;) My sister has had great success in using youtube to learn how to use the machines.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I am a member at the YMCA and the only time I am able to go is after 6pm when there are a million other people there. I am just starting to work out and really am not sure how to start or what to do. Does anyone have a good, easy, beginner cardio workout routine I could do?? Usually I will warm up by doing 20 minutes on the stationary bike (the one with a back) and then I do as much as I can walking/jogging on the treadmill. My gym also offers classes but I don't have a buddy to go with and I feel like I'm not ready to take anything on quite yet....but i need help because I feel like I am not taking advantage of my time at the gym! Thanks!!

I'm not sure if your YMCA has this as an option, but we have a program called fitlinxx. You get a session with the trainer and they set you up in a computer that tracks your progress in both cardio and weights. I would also say not to write off the classes just because you don't have a buddy. Most of them are very good for beginners as well as seasoned gym members. One of the things I love about the Y is that there are so many different levels of people that workout there. Good luck!
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am a very active member in the YMCA community- not only do I workout there, but I work with their daycares and run a program of my own. The YMCA has something called a PEP talk. Personalized Exercise Program. It's free, you can meet with a staff memeber, they will develop a program with you. The only pre requisite is a fitness centre orientation. I highly suggest starting there!! The YMCA is a great gym with lots of resources to help you reach your goals. Talk to the front desk!!!