A more accurate bathroom scale?

Options
Anyone know of reputably accurate brands of bathroom scale?

The one I've currently got gives me wildly different readings depending on its floor placement. This morning I got 250.2, then 248.1 just by moving the scale ONE INCH to the left. It's one of those middle-priced white plastic digital ones that you can find at Walmart or Target.

I figured since I was taking weight loss more seriously now, maybe I ought to find something a bit more reliable. Any recs?

Replies

• kristyhooker
    Options
    I'm looking for a good one too..... would love to get one that measures body fat % but not sure on wether they really work or not, have heard both ways...
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Every scale I have ever owned has given me "wildly different" readings based on floor placement. I take extreme measures to make sure that the scale gets put back at exactly the same spot after I clean the floor or if the cats or dog knock it around when they're chasing each other around the bathroom.

If anyone has one that doesn't react this way I would love to know!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Yup, that goes for me too... An honest scale is hard to find it seems... :)
  • avibachar
    Options
    I sometimes hop on the scale if I'm out at someone else's place and I see it on the bathroom floor. It's always close, but off a bit, from my own. Likewise, I've noticed that my own can vary depending on where it is and how I stand on it.

The way I see it, what I actually weigh is irrelevant. I'm more interested in whether or not I'm losing weight.

What I've done is just found a spot right near where I keep the scale which is level and that I can remember easily. I always put the scale in that same spot when I weigh myself and just assume that value is correct, at least compared to previous weigh-ins on the same scale in the same spot.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    My bathroom floor has tiny little tiles (about 1 inch square) which I'm guessing makes for a terribly unlevel surface. Do you guys think putting a big block of hardwood under the scale might make for more consitency?
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    LOOK NO FURTHER!

This one is amazing!
    I love it! It has over 1,000 positive reviews! I always get the same number even after stepping on it 5 times consecutively.

http://www.amazon.com/Eatsmart-Precision-Bathroom-Technology-440-Pounds/dp/B0032TNPOE

41y%2B5W9ER9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a problem with mine.. It's a glass one from Walmart but IDk the brand. shows a green light if you lose more than 2lbs since last weight and yellow if you maintain and red if you gain 2... Shows the same number no matter where I put it
  • Bjfavara
    Bjfavara Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just bought a really good Biggest Loser's scale at Bed, Bath & Beyond and it is nice. $40.00 + tax - a 10% discount from said store. It computes your weight, height, gender, age and tells you how many calories you should have per day and your BMI. The scale itself is very comfortable and solid to stand on. I'd recommend it to anyone.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue so yesterday I bought a homedics glass digital scale at Bed Bath and Beyond. I think it was 30 or 40$. The ones that show bone density, water weight, fat etc., are just using a basic formula. They are not taking an actual measurement from your feet :) The one I got just shows my weight and it is really accurate. Doesn't bounce all over the place like my old plastic walmart one.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

Thanks Kapeluza, this sounds perfect, and a reputable customer service as a bonus... I'll be ordering this today!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I use a digital glass WW scale and it works just fine.
  • BettyyRoss
    BettyyRoss Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was actually wondering the same thing!!! Thanks for posting
  • Jackdog89
    Jackdog89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My bathroom floor has tiny little tiles (about 1 inch square) which I'm guessing makes for a terribly unlevel surface. Do you guys think putting a big block of hardwood under the scale might make for more consitency?

Yes, depending on the type of scale it should help.
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have a WW one as well. It does weight, body fat BMI bone weight etc. I love it
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue so yesterday I bought a homedics glass digital scale at Bed Bath and Beyond. I think it was 30 or 40$. The ones that show bone density, water weight, fat etc., are just using a basic formula. They are not taking an actual measurement from your feet :) The one I got just shows my weight and it is really accurate. Doesn't bounce all over the place like my old plastic walmart one.

That's not true, they use bio-impedence to measure body fat vs bone vs water weight. The problem is bio-impedence isn't very accurate in general.

As long as a scale is on a level surface, it should be accurate.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I check the accuracy of mine by placing increasing loads of 5kg freeweight plates about once a month. My scales are cheap as chips onces from a Supermarket brand. No difference in accuracy to the expensive Tanita onces I bought 6 years ago.
  • daisydarling
    daisydarling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I also have a problem with my scale, but I don't buy online. Do you know any stores sells this one?
    thanks
    p.s. When I go to the YMCA it aways 2 lbs lighter, so I stick with the one at home because I don't go to the Y any certain day of the week.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    LOOK NO FURTHER!

This one is amazing!
    I love it! It has over 1,000 positive reviews! I always get the same number even after stepping on it 5 times consecutively.

http://www.amazon.com/Eatsmart-Precision-Bathroom-Technology-440-Pounds/dp/B0032TNPOE

41y%2B5W9ER9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

holy crap, that's a lot of good reviews ... did you read the one abuot the VP of the company ? pretty damn impressive. Thanks for this, I just go out and get this thing.
  • amerrill1
    Options
    I bought this one on amazon and it has worked great! I like the extra features and it has a super high rating from over 300 people.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Capacity-Recognition-Technology/dp/B004L6NTHU/ref=dp_cp_ob_hpc_title_2/190-7372190-7241221

Regardless of the quality of the scale, to ensure accuracy I always put it in the exact same location every time I step on the scale.
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have this one and I love it!!
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Premium-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B002MK6QKO/ref=dp_cp_ob_hpc_title_1
    Once it calibrates (if you move it your first weight might not be accurate, so you have to step off and weigh again) it hits my weight accurately every time. :)