Suggestions for healthy low cal lunches

Options
Hi, I am really struggling to find healthy lunches which are low in calories but fill you up. I am doing well with salad and veg based dinners, so don't want salad for lunch.

Any suggestions? :noway:

Replies

• janahunter
    janahunter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not sodium friendly, but I really like the Campbells Chunky soups or Progresso. They have a lot of light soup options that will keep you full until dinner time.

I hope this helps!
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Veggie Steamers by Green Giant are low in calorie and sodium. I also found a few Smart Ones that aren't too bad.
  • Smansfield1
    Smansfield1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not sodium friendly, but I really like the Campbells Chunky soups or Progresso. They have a lot of light soup options that will keep you full until dinner time.

I hope this helps!

I believe both of these have lower sodium options. I alot of time will do half a sandwich and small cup/bowl of soup. Look for bread that for every 100 kcals has AT LEAST 3g of fiber.
  • Lindy901
    Lindy901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat tuna sandwich on an Earthgrains thin bun or low cal bread. I add lots of veggies and/or lettuce. Veggie straws make a great side dish for me for lunch too.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    There are those tofu noodles that have a weird texture but they are only 20 calories for 1/2 a bag. I mix them up with one of the laughing cow cheese wedges, pasta sauce and a ton of veggies and you get a very filling pasta primavera
  • ginalclark
    Options
    I usually do a can of tuna or can of chicken mixed with 1 tablspoon of mayo and some mustard and I mix in black beans, chopped tomatoes and onions and a tablespoon of crumbled bacon (the cold kind you can find in costco for salads) and it is a really delicious salad and low calorie lunch that fills me up so much, I usually don't need a snack before dinner! Lots of protein!! :)
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I almost have everyday 4-6 oz of chicken and brocolli. Today, because I failed to prepare its 4oz cooked shimp and brocolli.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Home made soup always ticks the box for me. I know what is in it, cut out the crap and control the portion and calories.

Just think about any soup you like and Google a recipe x
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I make turkey tacos. You basically brown lean ground turkey. throw a few spices in there like red pepper flakes, chili powder, cumin, garlic..etc (whatever you like). Then I fill lettuce leaves (from a head of lettuce) with a few ounces of turkey (1 oz = 2 tbsp). Those are pretty filling. I usually have 2-3 tacos and a side like cottage cheese or some kind of fruit. If you put one tbsp in each taco its about 50 ca,l plus a side around 80 cal. Altogether (with 3 tacos and a side) its around 230 cal.
  • kyanilockett
    Options
    i was gonna ask how about some lean protein- someone posted tuna (of course hold the mayo) on whole wheat?
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I usually have soup with a toasted wholemeal pitta bread for at least one meal per day during the week. It fills me up until the evening and also helps increase my water consumption.
  • JHarr454
    JHarr454 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Homemade chili is low in fat and calories, high in fiber, warms up easily and sticks to your ribs. Just be sure you use a lean recipe and lean meat.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    tofu noodles? please elaborate....i wonder if they are paleo/primal friendly.

make a chicken curry and eat over raw shredded cabbage instead of rice.
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I made a batch of carrot hummus yesterday and divided it up into 5 little containers. I'll bring one to work every day this week and have it on a 100-calorie sandwich thin with a thick slice of tomato. On the side I'll have Special K cracker chips.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Leftovers....

I always have whatever was leftover from dinner the night before. Today it is Chicken Gumbo from Cooking Light. 297 calories and VERY filling.
  • Kelico528
    Options
    Each day I either bring Chobani Greek yogurt (unsweetened, but I add truvia), or Breakstones cottage doubles as my "main course." Both are 100 calories and a good source of protein.

I also bring an assortment of the following: unsweetened (or lite) applesauce, sliced apple, orange, baby carrots, almonds, COCOA almonds (a-mazing), part-skim mozzarella string cheese, protein shake.

I know it doesn't sound filling, but by the time I'm done eating the yogurt & apple, I'm already feeling full! It's all about the protein :-)

On a normal day I actually bring ALL of the above mentioned (sometimes double string cheese and carrots) and eat some for a morning snack and afternoon snack.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Do you work out at night? I've always heard lunch should be your heavist meal of the day. Esp. if you're working out at night. So my lunches eat up about half if not more of my calories. :/
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If I don't do salad then I'll usually go with tuna salad on Wonder Smart White bread, all natural peanut butter & 1/2 a banana on the same bread, or the chunky low fat soups like another member suggested. I'm not a fancy person and like simple foods that don't take long to prepare in the mornings so these typically work well for me. I also tend to bring a Chobani yogurt with me to either eat as a mid-morning snack or in addition to my lunch if I'm not hungry mid-morning. That adds quite a few calories but I tend to last through to eat dinner a little later when I've got a heavier lunch. And late dinners for me equal less time to snack before bed! Hope this helps!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Homemade chili is low in fat and calories, high in fiber, warms up easily and sticks to your ribs. Just be sure you use a lean recipe and lean meat.

This is a great suggestion because you can make it in a crock pot during the weekend and then put it into individual serving size containers to bring for lunch throughout the week. I'd also suggest that if lean ground beef is not on sale or unaffordable to buy the higher fat content ground beef and brown it up draining off the excess fat before added it to the crock pot. I keep an old coffee can in my freezer just for this purpose!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Usually a bring a little leftovers, but today I am having a hummus and veggie wrap. 318 calories and I will be full for hours.

Flat-Out whole grain wrap
    4 Tbs Fountain of Health roasted garlic hummus
    1.5 C chopped kale
    3 chopped scallions
    1 small shredded carrot
    about 1/3 C chopped cucumber