Low-sodium salad dressings REQUEST

Options
Goldenwoof
Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
Hiya MFPers,

Does anyone have any good recipes for a low-sodium salad dressing? I prefer Italian or a Red Wine Vinaigrette, but would be willing to try anything.

Thanks!

Replies

• littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    good question, will watch this for answer.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle a couple tablespoons of blue cheese and some pepper on my salad instead of dressing; my brother tops his salad with lemon juice.
    My daughter uses avocado in place of dressing.
  • workerbee2011
    workerbee2011 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    balsamic vinegar on its own, or mixed with fresh ginger and/or garlic, and black pepper
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I also have been using lemon juice. I get it from Meyer lemons, just straight juice, and then sprinkle some salt-free seasonings in it (or just a mix or cumin, hot pepper, garlic, onion powder).

I've also done a similar technique with straight balsamic, or balsamic mixed with either lemon juice or mustard (you can also use mustard powder if you are worried about the amount of sodium in mustard), and then a bit of seasonings.

Here's a few more where you control your own sodium levels: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/825
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    The salad dressing I used is either a Raspberry Vinaigrette or a Poppyseed from Maple Grove Farms. They're fat free and sodium is about 112mg per 2 tbsp. serving.
  • Wonderwoman62
    Options
    3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    1 Tbsp. olive oil - you can omit or decrease depending on the fat content of the meal.
    1 Tbsp raspberry jam (orange marmalade is nice too)
    1 tsp. dijon
    small garlic glove chopped
    whisk until mixed
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I use apple cider vinegar with a little of evoo and a squirt 1/2 to 1tsp of Bragg's amino acids. Gives you 160-320mg depending on how much aminos. Guess it depends on how low sodium you're shooting for. Sites like cooks.com also have more recipes