Food Poisoning - Any Advice

Options
Have you ever experienced food poisoning? How long did it take you to get better? Did you have to see a doctor or did you take over the counter medicine?

This last Friday night, I ate Jumbo Shrimp stuffed with Crab meat and the illness began Saturday afternoon. I have not been able to keep anything down since then. I am keeping myself hydrated with water and my strength is building back up, but I am continuously still visiting the bathroom.

Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Have a friend or family member go to the pharmacy and pick up some bottles of Pedialyte for you. You need to replace your electrolytes, not just your water loss.

It's been 2 days now. I would say if you are still having very bad "evacuations" by tomorrow, yep you might want to go see a doc. At the very least they could put you on an electrolyte drip for a couple of hours and you'll feel a million times better.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The good news is you'll soon have everything out of your system. Try to eat crackers, or soft, bland foods. Oatmeal is my personal go to when I have a rubbish tummy. If it does last more than another day or so, I'd ring the doctor.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Take a tablespoon of olive oil.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    If it prolonged pain and dis comfort and everything is running out of your .. ya know.. like the Hersey Squirts, mud butt, the runs... . Then you will want to use the BRAT diet.

Web MD

The BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) was once a staple of most pediatricians' recommendations for children with an upset stomach. The idea was that it gave the gut a chance to rest and reduced the amount of stool produced. Now experts say the BRAT diet may not be the best option for children.

Because BRAT diet foods are low in fiber, protein, and fat, the diet lacks enough nutrition to help a child's gastrointestinal tract recover. The American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends that kids resume eating a normal, well-balanced diet appropriate for their age within 24 hours of getting sick. That diet should include a mix of fruits, vegetables, meat, yogurt, and complex carbohydrates.

Both children and adults need to drink plenty of fluids while they're sick to prevent dehydration. Water is good, but adding broth, a sports drink, or a rehydration solution can help replace lost electrolytes

on a side note I highly recommend Gatorade for this as the number 1 problem is dehydration, as your body is no longer absorbing water that you drink.
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice, I'll try a few and see what happens.

9821387.png
  • angelajmrn
    angelajmrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is what we tell people when they come into the ER. Your stomach and bowels are irritated right now. You need to let them rest. If you can stay hydrated with small amounts of ice chips/gatorade/pedialyte etc. do it. We have people start as small as 1 tbsp of liquid every 15 minutes. If your body keeps that in then slowly increase this. Then slowly start on a clear liquid diet....anything you can see through at room temp....broth, white soda, jello. Do this for 24 hours then start to add very bland foods...crackers, applesauce, soup, rice, etc. Stay away from all dairy products till you are feeling 100%. Stay way from spicy foods, acidic foods, and citris foods. Try not to take medications to stop the bathroom visits at first because you want the "bug" to get out of your system. If you are not feeling any better or have not seen a decrease in bathroom visits by 72 hours from the start you should go in for some IV fluids and maybe some stool testing. It could just be a coincidence that the food you sick and the possibility that you could have c-diff or some other type of GI bug that would need antibiotics/antifungals/etc. Most importantly....REST....good hand hygene. Hope this helps and feel better soon.