So frustrated keep gaining and losing same 3 lbs!

Options
Ugg I am so frustrated right now. I was so happy after the Christmas holidays when I manged to lose 2.5 lbs without tracking calories or working out. I thought that it meant I had learned alot over the last almost year! Ever since that time I cant lose anything and keep gaining the same 3 lbs over and over again! It is so frustrating I am not always eating the most healthy things but still much better then ever before in my life. i also work out for about 45min to 2 hours at least 5 days a week. I do jillian micheals videos, kickboxing videos, sometimes use the wii and games like exerbeat. I am also still nursing my son who is almost 2...but still up usally 2-3 times a night to nurse and usally at least 2 times in the day...usally like 3-4 times in the day though.

I dont log on weekends but I still eat like I do durning the weeks 95% of the time...and even when I am not logging I am still counting everything I eat. I have become a bit obessed with calories over the past year so I count help but always be thinking about calories in/ calories out.

MFP says I should be eating 1200 a day, then I add 300 for breastfeeding and usally eat back some of my exercise calories because when I dont I would stop losing. That happened before about 2 months ago. So on average I eat about 1800 calories. I usally burn about around 700-1000 calories a day depending on activity.

Anyways I guess I am just hoping for some advice or anything becuase I'm going crazy here!!

Thanks

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think you are not eating enough and your body is holding on to your food. If you are burning 1000 calories and only eating 1800 - your body is only getting 800 calories to fuel itself. That is not enough as many doctors recomment no less than 1200 a day.

Also not logging on the weekends can add to this problem. You may be eating more than you think you are especially if you are not watching your portions.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I think you are not eating enough and your body is holding on to your food. If you are burning 1000 calories and only eating 1800 - your body is only getting 800 calories to fuel itself. That is not enough as many doctors recomment no less than 1200 a day.

Also not logging on the weekends can add to this problem. You may be eating more than you think you are especially if you are not watching your portions.

Agreed. This also affects your breastmilk. Make sure you NET at least 1400 if you're breastfeeding.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Stop starving yourself. Your body is in fat storage mode.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary....same old story.
    You are not eating enough.

And yes, what you do eat could be better, but that's not the primary issue here.
    Just eat to goal every day.

Do that and continue your exercises for a month, then let's see where you are.
  • Sagetheplace
    Sagetheplace Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My intention is not to starve myself. I have upped my calories from 1200 when I started to 1600 and now i try for about 1800. I guess I just struggle with eat more to lose more. I feel like I am always eating and thats what got my into this problem to begin with.

I have picked up some almonds and trail mix hoping to add a small snack with lots of calories. Thanks for the advice.
  • Smithvalerie
    Smithvalerie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Under eating for sure!! Eat more and you will see the change!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    My intention is not to starve myself. I have upped my calories from 1200 when I started to 1600 and now i try for about 1800. I guess I just struggle with eat more to lose more. I feel like I am always eating and thats what got my into this problem to begin with.

I have picked up some almonds and trail mix hoping to add a small snack with lots of calories. Thanks for the advice.

You can also add a table spoon of olive oil here and there if you need extra calories.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    after exercising you should still eat at least 1200 cals. your net cals should be at 1200. I have this problem too. So I started paying attention more to my Net cals!
  • koalasue
    koalasue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Nice problem to have yeah right. It is hard to eat enough. I am just about in the same boat. I cannot get under 171 pounds been there for about a month now and really getting frustrating. I am eating about 1100 to 1200 calories a day and working out about half an hour a day. I guess I am not eating enough either. Thanks foryour Blog it has helped me to .
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    umm i guess someone has to point out the obvious.

you're breastfeeding. milk is mostly water. water is heavy.

with everything going on in your body, a 5lb swing of weight thoughout the day wouldnt be unheard of.
    personally id just encourage you to put the scale in the closet for a month, eat healthy.. and just look in the mirror over the next couple months...
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    OK...so I just want to double check this. I did not count calories in my 20s because I would work out and that kept me lean.

Then in my 30s, I just did not have the time to work out like I used too, so I started to count calories. Usually stayed between 1500-1800...but if I wanted to shed off a couple of pounds, I would drop to 1200.

NOW (in my 40s) I have added exercise back into my routine. So, in my MFP said I want to lose 1lb/week. It says that I should consume 1350/day to achieve that goal. I exercise everyday and burn 620 calories.

So, my question...do I eat 1350 calories each day. Or do I really eat 1970 per day because that would make my net 1350.

For example, yesterday I had a total of 1206 calories, it says my daily goal should be 1970 (because of the added workout) and that I had 764 remaining. Should I consume 1970 calories on the days that I am working out?
  • silvercat64
    Options
    Argh! The Internet keeps eating my posts. Trying again...

As MrDude pointed out, IMHO it's normal for weight to fluctuate by a pound or two on any given day just due to input and output (eating, drinking, nursing, exercising, etc.).

May I ask how frequently you're weighing in, and if it's at the same time of day? I'd suggest no more than once or twice a week, and make sure it's the same time each day. That way you'll have a better idea if it's just cyclical or not.

TinkrBelz: Correct. As I understand it, the calorie goal (1350 for you) is based on one's base metabolic rate, so if you do extra work you'll need extra calories.
  • cdnclovr
    cdnclovr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nice problem to have yeah right. It is hard to eat enough. I am just about in the same boat. I cannot get under 171 pounds been there for about a month now and really getting frustrating. I am eating about 1100 to 1200 calories a day and working out about half an hour a day. I guess I am not eating enough either. Thanks foryour Blog it has helped me to .

They say misery loves company... Thank God I'm not the only one in this boat! It drives me NUTS!
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    So, my question...do I eat 1350 calories each day. Or do I really eat 1970 per day because that would make my net 1350.

For example, yesterday I had a total of 1206 calories, it says my daily goal should be 1970 (because of the added workout) and that I had 764 remaining. Should I consume 1970 calories on the days that I am working out?

Eat closer to the 1970 calories on your workout days if you're positive about your calorie burn. You definitely need to eat back some of your workout calories. You'll have to experiment and see how many.
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi I think youre doing an amazing job, youve lost a fair amount already, plus you have a young child and are breastfeeding, dieting and exercising. I have 3 children, I fed them all and when I had my youngest son it was a struggle to get dressed before midday, so give yourself a pat on the back!

From my point of view...I tried to lose weight with all my 3 children whilst breastfeeding and for me, it was a long process when I was feeding. Its like my body wanted to hold onto that weight, despite what I ate, or didnt eat, and Im sure you will find that once you cut down the feeds your weight will start dropping again. I lost 45lb with each of my pregnancies, it was hardest with my youngest as I was in my late 30s by that time and my metabolism had slowed right down. I actually weighed heavierafter having my children, my body seemed to hold onto the weight until I cut breastfeeding down. Also my appetite during that time was a lot bigger. Try a few days break from it all as your body has got used to the routine of being on a diet. When I started here I stayed the same for my first 4 weeks, I had a weeks break and then I lost 3lb! Also try different forms of exercise to what you usually do, eat different foods, mix it all up a little, try and fool your body a bit, your body gets used to what you eat, drink and how you exercise over time and kind of adapts, you need to fool it a little to boost your metabolism. Best of luck, sounds like youre doing an amazing job :)
  • Sagetheplace
    Sagetheplace Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you who took the time out to reply to me :smile: I am going to try really hard to start netting 1200. Today I felt like i was eating all day to get my calories in. I had alot of nuts...but now I am way over on fat. And to top it off I cut down my workout so I wouldnt have to eat so many calories....and it still says I need to eat 200+ calories more in order to meet my goal.

I am going to have to try to find other ways to add calories...and I also use extra virgin olive oil when I can to add calories. I have spend the last 12 months trying to find foods that are healthy filling and low on calories...now have to try to find thing high on calories...i just cant seem to get this right!