How do you handle days when you have little to no energy?

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
Do you still force yourself to workout? If sooo, how do you find the energy inside to do so?

See, I have problems sleeping. I don't sleep well at all so I'm tired more often than not. Days when I'm not tired, I'm starting to enjoy working out. Of course, when I'm tired no matter how much I would LIKE to work out, it's sooo hard to force myself to. If I could just simply take a nap or get some extra sleep so I can, it'd be great! BUT it doesn't always work like that with me.

So how do you handle working out when you're exhausted?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Carb up and go.
  • ojell
    Options
    Carb up and go.

what do you eat? how much? and how soon before you workout?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I work out anyway. I have myself convinced ('cause it's true!) that working out will give me energy. I always feel great afterwards, so it's worth it.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Move anyways.
    Unless your body is definitely telling you that you need to rest.
    The more you move the better you feel.
  • ojell
    Options
    I work out anyway. I have myself convinced ('cause it's true!) that working out will give me energy. I always feel great afterwards, so it's worth it.

Good point!!! :)
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options

Totally agree - plus I sleep better now that I exercise regularly!
  • jessicaann05
    Options
    I have to just get dressed and go. Once the first few minutesof your workout have passed, you'll be energized and glad you did it!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Working out...not an option. If you are fueling your body properly and working out, it should help sleeping issues. I sleep so much better when I have a good workout. BUT, make sure not to workout a couple hours before you are supposed to be going to sleep, that will cause you to stay awake.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, I usually work out anyway...it gives me more energy and makes me feel better afterward. Most of the time I wake up early anyway and once I'm up...I'm up, so its not like I'm going to get more restful sleep.

If you don't have your best workout that day, just remember, you're still lapping all the people on the couch!
  • weaverfit
    weaverfit Posts: 124
    Options
    I find that if I put some really great music on I can get pumped up a bit for a good workout. Plus, once I get going and jamming to the tunes on the elliptical or the treadmill, I get a burst of energy from somewhere. Music could be the key to get you going.
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Funny this should come up today... This is where I am at today. Im tired as hell cuz I sleep for $%^&! But I have some melatonin at home which I will use tonight. I have a goal in my mind, skipping a workout reguardless of how tired I am, is not an option. As with the other poster. I have some carbs before I workout. But also take a pre workout supplement , which helps me push past the tiredness.

You can sleep when you get home, dont skip it, cuz then you will have an excuse the next time this happens.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I get up at five thirty to go to the gym I work out hard, and it makes me energetic the rest of the day. In fact, it makes me sleep well at night too. So if you force yourself to get up early and exercise, it will make you feel a hundred times better. It will get easier after the first few days to get up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Take a walk. Once you start walking it may give you added energy to do more, but even if not, at least you got the walk in.
  • missyont
    Options
    I almost never feel like working out but I feel good when I'm done so I remind myself of that :P
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I eat.....maybe your cutting yourself short of calories and its causing you to have no energy. But as far as motivation: I just do it....then i feel glad I did something. I know its hard to push yourself but you can do it and trust me it does get easier once it becomes a routine.

Good Luck!
  • Jaded_GRL
    Options
    I can be complete exhausted after work. And am not a morning person so doing workouts first thing is NOT going to happen for me. I skip the workout but then force myself to stick to eating healthier that day. Which sometimes encourages me to exercise so that I can spoil my taste buds at dinner. But if I am just not feeling it, I don't go to the gym. I have a heart rate monitor and noticed that on my "off" days when I force myself to workout I don't burn nearly as many cal's as the days when I am ready to exercise and have the energy. I track my workout routines and did one upper body that burned 500+ cal's on my energy filled day. I did it again a few weeks later, same weight/reps overall time and only burned just over 250 cal's
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Just do it! I have had days where all I want to do is crawl into bed and sleep, but getting up and getting moving actually gives you more energy. I have trouble sleeping too, but when I get a good workout in I sleep much better. It also makes me feel good the next day that I didn't go ahead and skip my workout.
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I work out in the evenings when I get home...I have a desk job so I sit all day, so most of the time I'm sluggish and don't feel like doing anything. BUT...I make myself get on the treadmill.....and always feel SO much better after I do it.

14285388.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have a chronic health problem that includes fatigue. I do what I can. I walk the dog every day. I do light swim. Then I lay down and rest or sleep. Exercise does not make me feel better, but I do it anyway. Have you been checked for sleep apnea? That could be part of your problem or there could be another medical problem that has not been diagnosed. I suggest you get a complete medical check up. Keep doing...not trying...do as much as you can every day, even if it is to only walk one block at first (that was me for 1 year). Good luck
  • K8ty_7
    K8ty_7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    the more u procrastinate the harder itl become, thats wot ive found. dont think about it, just get ur gym kit on and head out the door, once ur there anything u do is better than nothing. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!