Almonds, peanuts, cashews... How bad ARE they?

Options
I keep trying to tell msyelf that it's good to have some almondsor unsalted peanuts because they're high in protein... but it just kills me to add all those calories to my tracker! How bad are they really?

Replies

• ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Try buying to 100 calorie packs. I buy Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds, delish!:smile:
  • Aaloo79
    Aaloo79 Posts: 105
    Options
    They are not bad, infact good if eaten in moderation. But the problem with me is, if I have a pack in front of me, my mind forgets to transmit the signal "Stop" :grumble:
  • Froggeh
    Froggeh Posts: 148
    Options
    They are not bad, infact good if eaten in moderation. But the problem with me is, if I have a pack in front of me, my mind forgets to transmit the signal "Stop" :grumble:

I'm terrible about moderation. I'll try to hide the pack from myself but it's not like I don't know where it is. Maybe I should put some in ziploc bags at home and only allow myself to take 1 bag to work every day.
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Nuts, especially the one's you listed, are high in healthy monounsaturated fats, but are also calorie dense. They can be part of any healthy diet, but for weight loss and management, their relative high caloric density must be accounted for.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I I <
    This bad
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why do you think they are bad at all? Nuts are packed with nutrition and fill you up quickly.
  • Aaloo79
    Aaloo79 Posts: 105
    Options

I'm terrible about moderation. I'll try to hide the pack from myself but it's not like I don't know where it is. Maybe I should put some in ziploc bags at home and only allow myself to take 1 bag to work every day.

LOL. I have a very small box that I bring to office. in the mornings, i fill it up with 10 almonds or whatever nuts i want and bring it to office. No danger of overdose :bigsmile:

Over Christmas, I bought a box of peanuts and put it in my office drawer. Would you believe, I had to throw it half full in the bin, again cox my brain always forget to send "STOP" signal. :bigsmile:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    The oilseeds are very good! Used in moderation, they bring you the good (monounsatured fats). But it's very hard not the eat too much of them ahah ;D That's the issue, they have a high caloric density (as monty said). I eat around 20 grams per days (that the equivalent of a hand, perfect :)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The South Beach Living plan allow about 20 nuts per day. I count them out then put the rest out of sight, that seems to help.
  • JudyPMorg
    Options

I use snack bags and load those with the right amount and they are ready to go. Great idea and easy to throw in a lunch bag or purse!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    High in calories =/= bad. Nuts, bananas, peanut butter, and pure fruit juice are examples of foods that are higher in calories, but carry a lot of good nutrients your body needs. In moderation, they are great for you. That being said, they key is WILLPOWER. Can't learn how to have willpower without practicing it.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    They are fantastic! Great source of healthy fats and protein.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Nuts are not that bad. I know they have a lot of calories and fat, but it's a good fat. I try to only have a half a serving at a time (ie pistachios half serving = 2 TBSP 70 calories) Then i pair it with a peice of fruit or a cheese stick. They are good for you and there have been studies shown that dieters that eat nuts have less desire to snack more and cheat on their diet. The hundred calorie packs that were suggested are great!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I I <
    This bad

:laugh: now that's funny
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options

The ziplock bag trick works! I do that!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a part of my diet for nutritional reasons. I simply plan accordingly when it comes to the calories. If you just grab a bag and start eating them you can get in trouble quickly, lol.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    In moderation, they are great for you. That being said, they key is WILLPOWER. Can't learn how to have willpower without practicing it.

Very true! I buy the big bags of Blue Diamond roasted almonds with a dark chocolate flavor. I would LOVE to sit and eat 5 or 6 handfuls, but I always count out a serving (24 nuts = 160 cal) and put the bag away. I keep it in a desk at work so I'm not tempted to sit down at home in front of the TV with them. THAT is dangerous for me. For me, "out of sight, out of mind" works. That's how I have to handle the higher calorie foods. That's also why I hate food commercials!!! Especially fast foods.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Nothing but good fats in Nuts!! I eat a couple servings a day mostly Almonds (they are my personal favorite) but do like pistachios too.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I love nuts.
    I eat nuts a lot!
    Nuts are tasty in my mouth!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If your body is sensative to carbs, they won't be as bad as a baked potato with the same amount of caloires.

Nuts are very good nutritionally (protein, better fats and fiber), and you could make a lot of worse choices. It is just easy to go overboard. Some alternatives are hummas, low fat yogurt and low fat/low sodium cottage cheese. 4 -6 ouces of nuts a week is what my nutritionist told me. I am with you, I love the nuts.