Does your organic milk taste/smell funny?

Options
Recently I've been educated a bit in the difference between traditional supermarket milk and organic milk. After realizing that the possible added hormones and antibiotics could be potential health risks for the baby I want to try to have after losing some weight, I decided to buy a gallon of the organic variety to try it out.

Last week I purchased 1 gallon of Horizon organic 1% milk with a February expiration date. As soon as I opened the milk and poured a glass I realized that it smelled and tasted "off" or what I would normally consider "off" in the typical supermarket milk. I thought, "well maybe organic milk just smells/tastes this way because it's more natural... like cornish hens taste more gamey than Purdue chicken breasts."

I've heard that organic milk is supposed to have a far superior flavor to traditional milk but I didn't find this to be the case with the gallon I bought. And at ~$2.50/gallon more than the other stuff, I was really hoping that would be true. I just don't find the flavor appealing at all though. Has anyone else had this experience? Or could I have just received a gallon that was exposed without refrigeration for too long during transit/bottling/etc. making it turn too soon?

The other odd thing that I noticed when I went to heat the organic milk to make Cream of Wheat over the weekend was that it smelled... well, like a cow in a barn. I live in the suburbs but I'm familiar enough with farms to know how a cow smells and this milk, when heated, smelled like a cow. I can't even begin to imagine why that would be but ironically my Cream of Wheat turned out better than ever.

Any tips/advice/suggestions? I'm at a loss. I don't relish the idea of paying $6.50/gallon for milk so I'll probably go back to the supermarket variety until I'm TTC but would love to know if anyone else has had a similar experience or if any of these concerns have more to do with the brand or what.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    It's probably because it's not loaded with hormones and antibiotics. Just a thought :flowerforyou:
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have never found a taste or smell difference. This may be psychological.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have never found a taste or smell difference. This may be psychological.

Definitely not psychological. I had two other people smell and they both thought it might just be going bad.