Tell me about your dogs!

Options

Replies

• inuit
    inuit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Had a few dogs, but the current one is Kavik - see Avatar - he is a British Inuit.

Inuits are quite a handful, they are very independent, but are loving. The are not a first time dog, they think differently to most breeds. The major draw back is the amount of fur he produces, it is non stop all year around. We go through Dysons quite regularly.

Kavik is pretty chilled for an inuit,he happily plays in the garden with the chickens and is well down the pecking order after the cats that rule our house. My previous dog Blaidd was a northern inuit (same breed, just different breed lines) and he was a nightmare, he ate £200 in £10 notes, i was so broke at the time, i had to wait for it to come out, bleach it and match up the serial numbers on the ones his ripped and take it into the bank. After explaining the bank did not even check it and just gave me fresh notes LOL!

kavik loves to run and jog, he can jog for miles. He goes out on a harness when i cycle and runs with me on our walk/jogs. i hate running, but going with him makes it fun.

Wouldnt be with out him. if i had to choose the other half of the dog? The dog wins everytime.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I own a pet supply store in NC, so we've got a lot of dogs...

I have a 2 1/2 year old Mountain Fiest that I got from the humane society. The fastest & one of the smartest dogs I've ever seen. She can clear a 4' fence with no problems.

I also have a 12 year old yellow lab, who is losing her hearing, but still a happy dog. A problem dog, she's gotten into a lot of stuff before. She ate 12 percocet (sp) a 1lb chocolate bar and some batteries in one day once. Never a problem lol.

My mom has an 11 y/o lab & a 5 year old lab who's our store dog.
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    I have 1 german shepherd. She will be 3 years old in October :) She has mostly a black face with some tan..her back is black, tan and white.Her name is Myla.

she is probably the opposite of any german shepherd ive ever met! shes so ditzy and goofy, i dont think ive ever met a dog that trips over her own feet more than my own! Although, She's very smart when it comes to obeying commands & following orders but for the most part shes my big goof ball.

She loves to play fetch (like most dogs) and shes like a mommy to my daughter. following her around and protecting her :) The wintertime is my favorite with her. she LOVES the snow & i think shes always the cutest with a little bit of it stuck to her nose :) shes my 1st baby & i love her to death!

They always say...only a dog can love you more than it loves itself :smooched:
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I have a little miniature jack Russell called willow. She's 4 in june and a complete mammy's girl.
  • mayatiger
    Options
    I live this topic!! I have a big, sweet black German Shepherd who is 16 months old. She is my 3rd child, LOL! She is SO smart...scary smart!! She's gone thru training at a German Shepherd academy and is absolutely the best dog ever!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My gorgeous 8-year-old Golden Retriever, Sammy Bear, has helped me through so much. The day I got him (my 21st birthday, when he was 11 months old), he became my everything, and I became his.

This warms my heart! I rescued my pup after I got horribly dumped out of the blue by a guy I'd known for 4 years. I was really lonely because my two best friends had moved away. Coming home to her and snuggling with her on the couch while I did work helped me so much and I wasn't lonely anymore. When I went on vacation this month I cried my first night being away from her!
  • aneisiena
    Options
    13 yr old chocolate lab! Cutest doggy ever!!!!!!!!!
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :) I have 2 furbabies. Freckles, an 11 year old Cocker Spaniel and Baby, an 8 month old Maltese mix.

I love them both with all of my heart & soul!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

On a side note, my parents have a 2 year old Maltese who is litter box trained. She's so spoiled, she gets ice water and a treat every time she poops in her litter box.

My dog likes to eat out of the litter box... :laugh:
  • HollyStocking
    Options
    I have a Pitbull Springer Spaniel named Raspberry. My soul mate. I love her because she is always happy to see me, never talks back, always willing to go for a run, hike or any kind of work.

My most memorable moment was when my boyfriend went house boating for the weekend, it was 7:30 in the morning and a man tried to break into our house (we live in a rural area) she alerted me right away (I was in the shower) and scared him away. I have never been so frighted in my entire life. She always has my back. No matter what.
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This is my puppy Bentley :3 He is the calmest, cutest, smartest small dog ever :D
    He is a 7 month old shih tzu/bichon mix.
    el17cl.jpg
  • richardholt2011
    richardholt2011 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Just the one - 12 year old black labrador. He spends a lot of time practicing his sleeping. He loves carrots. Got kidnapped once (we had to pay a ransom to get him back). He also flew the Atlantic, both ways. How cool is that? Now he has arthritis and cancer and wont be with us much longer. We take things a day at a time.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have two Jack Russell terriers... Feona and Darcy.

Feona loves balls. A little too much.

Darcy loves baths. Definitely too much. She also has guarding issues and although she is a sweet lap dog who loves my family with all her heart, she is quite jealous of Feona, who really just runs around doing her own thing.

I took them to a local breeder and trainer but she wasn't very personable and her techniques left me confused and made me feel bad about how I was handling them.

Sooo... we just leave the chaos alone, lol. And try to get in lots of play time. I love my girls!
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've got 2 dogs, Eddie and Molly, 6 year old black brindle staffordshire bull terriers, and I love them to pieces!

They both compete in flyball and are way fitter than I'll ever be! lol
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I have a 1 year old Yorkie named Annabell...she is a great dog! One thing she does that I love is when she does ANYTHING good...she dances...its SO cute and I cant help but give her a treat...she jumps on her hind legs and shakes her butt...too cute =D
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I have two Jack Russell terriers... Feona and Darcy.

Feona loves balls. A little too much.

Darcy loves baths. Definitely too much. She also has guarding issues and although she is a sweet lap dog who loves my family with all her heart, she is quite jealous of Feona, who really just runs around doing her own thing.

I took them to a local breeder and trainer but she wasn't very personable and her techniques left me confused and made me feel bad about how I was handling them.

Sooo... we just leave the chaos alone, lol. And try to get in lots of play time. I love my girls!

I love JRTs! I suggest Cesar Millan for training advice. He's written a few books and is the Dog Whisperer on Animal Planet. My Margo (a JRT mix) sounds like your Darcy in terms of guarding a jealousy...I have been training it out of her, but in the beginning no one was allowed to come near me! She responded so well to clicker training (lots of simple Youtube videos) and now her only quirk is that she barks a lot when new people come to the house.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    2 Pugs:
    Earnie(a.k.a. " the BIG Earn") was rescued last year. He is about 11 or 12 and kinda curmudgeonly, and has fewer teeth left than his age. Earn is about as svelt as his Dad @ a stately 29 lbs.

Gunther (a.k.a. Gunnie) was rescued this past weekend. Gunnie is only 4 or 5 and spry as a cat for a pug. Actually, he likes to sit on the top of the sofa like a cat. He also is purported to be 27-29 lbs. but they must be all muscle as he is much more lithe than Earn.

BTW I am also a Canadian citizen, although I've lived in the states for 35 yrs.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hey-- I have two pugs. I got Atilla as a therapy dog when I was diagnosed with lupus. He did a few minor things for me (fetching medication, picking up dropped items, alerting me when it was time for pills) but mostly my doctor recommended him because dogs help keep chronically ill people sane. He was my reason to get up in the morning for a long time. He makes sure I do at least some activity every day, and he keeps me laughing. He's a smushy mama's boy-- he's always worrying about me, cuddling up with me, and giving me his empathetic pug-stare when I don't feel good. He's half clown/half caretaker. For example, one of my favorite memories of him was when his little brother was a puppy. Atilla would try to get into the trash for table scraps, and he was tall enough to get into it but the puppy wasn't. So I came into the living room one night and caught him in the kitchen pulling table scraps out of the trash and dropping them on the floor for his brother to eat. It was so funny and sweet at the same time. But we still got a trash can with a lid! lol

Wicket is my younger pug. When he was 9 weeks old he developed a melting corneal ulcer on one eye and required surgery. It turned out that he has Pannus, an autoimmune condition of the eyes. He's a spoiled grumpy little dog, but he's gotten so much happier since he started treatment. A lot of times I think he acts like a cat (more aloof than Atilla-- wants to rub up against you instead of licking). But he is very well behaved and wickedly smart. We didn't even have to potty train him-- it was like he never wanted to pee in the house. He's funny in a different way-- unintentionally I think. I relate to Wicket even though he's grouchy because we both have chronic health conditions and I understand his grouchiness. One of my favorite memories of him is when he trained my parents' weenie dog to fetch his toys. I was keeping them in a toy box, and he figured out that he could nose the lid open but he couldn't reach the toys because of his short pug nose. It was like you could watch the gears turning in his head. He looked at Esther (weenie dog), looked back at the box, and then he got her to follow him over there. He patiently showed her how to open the box (it took a few tries for her to catch on, she's not too swift) and then when she saw there were toys in there he held the box open with his nose while she dragged the toys out. After that whenever he wanted something he just went and stood by the box and she'd come get things for him. Crafty little thing. Here they are:

Atilla:
    100_1462.jpg

Wicket
    DSCN1322.jpg
  • allylourn
    Options
    I have a Yorkie, male, Bryce 5 years old! and my little girl Lola, 2 year old Yorkie-Poo but she looks just like a poodle and acts like on too! I love dogs too, and animals...I am vegan!
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    2 dogs right now as we just lost one to kidney failure. :cry: We adopt senior and/or special needs dogs. We've had about ten live out their last years with us so far. No matter how many we have had, it never gets any easier when we lose one! We don't have human children so these pups are our family!

Max is a 3 year old cattle dog mix. He's deaf from birth. He's white with a few red freckles. He is an ace frisbee player and knows all hand commands. He's super high-energy and athletic. We got him from a shelter about 2 1/2 years ago. He's totally my husband's "little boy".

Daisy is a 10 year old blue-heeler/German Shepherd mix, also from a shelter. She's hard of hearing and knows hand signals too. She's our guard dog - super protective and looks and sounds mean even though she's a big love bug and very sensitive. She's been with us for about 2 years as well.

We just lost Muppet, aka Scrappy-Doo, my little baby. She was a 14 year old mini-Aussie mix. They don't call them "Velcro dogs" for nothing! She was a real character with a HUGE personality. We got her 2 years ago as well from a shelter (they found her as a stray!). She had congestive heart failure but with herbal regimens and hydro-treatments she had a really good, active two years with us. I will never stop missing her!

We are currently in the process of possibly adopting a 6 year old terrier mix (looks like Benji) named Truffles. He's blind. He's in foster care but should be meeting him soon. It will be good to have a little dog in the house again!

I'm so glad to see that most of you adopt rather than buy your canine companions! :flowerforyou: