If you had only $500...

Options
2»

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I would get quite a few workout DVDs, and the yoga mat/weights/step/resistance bands/etc. that I would need to complete all of them. I would spend the rest on a HRM, workout clothes, and good shoes.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you have to have a home gym? Because for $500, that can buy you a membership at a gym so you can try everything out to actually KNOW what you'd enjoy and what you wouldn't like to own. You could take classes to know if you like yoga, kickboxing, etc and then you could buy videos for home if you like those classes. You can use the weights there to see what exercises you like to do and what you don't. Try the treadmills, ellipticals, rowing machines, steppers....
    You can buy a treadmill, but if it bores the heck out of you, what is the point in owning it if it will just sit at your house?
    IMO, you shouldn't need to ask what to spend the money on--you should spend the money finding out what you really enjoy and will STICK WITH for the long term and then you'll know what to buy.
    A gym is just not feasible for everyone. I have 2 jobs and 2 kids. I live 20 minutes from the nearest gym. With my stationary bike, I can get an hour in before I wake the kids up for school. The only way I would be able to do that at a gym is leave my kids home alone sleeping...not going to happen.

This is also true - I'm a single mom and time that I can exercise at home with a mini-man is a thing of beauty.
  • kelgwin36
    kelgwin36 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am more of a fan of different workout DVD's then machines... so I would get:
    a set of hand weights (3#, 5#, 8# set $40)
    set of kettlebells (or I think Jillian Michaels has one that is adjustable) (I have set of three 5, 10 & 15# $80)
    yoga mat ($20)
    Heart Rate Monitor ($ 150)
    some various workout DVDs (I like Jillian Michaels they are like $10 each & Tae Bo between $10 & $15)
    If you have a wii or xbox, Zumba fitness and the Just Dance series are fun cardio that burn lots of calories

and then probably have $ left for some cute workout clothes! :smile:
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Weight bench and a hooke--just weights.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    - A TRX Suspension Trainer $150
    - If you have a bike and want to use it inside then $150-$300 on a Mag or Fluid Trainer and tire for cardio.
    - Use the rest for clothes and shoes