Reduced Appetite

Options
I am on attempt #2 of trying to lose 60 pounds over about a year. Last month I started my diet (236 lbs), going from eating something on the order of 3000-3500 calories a day (stress eating), to a target of 2170 a day. That first two weeks were rough. I would have hunger pains all the time. My body felt physically exhausted. I felt my blood sugar was crashing all the time. I litterally felt like a drug addict coming off an addiction.

I stayed with it for about two weeks and lost 4 pounds. However, due to travel for business, getting sick with a cold, and then my wife and daughter coming down a few days after, I got off the diet. As a result, I put back on the weight and a few more so I started this year with 239 pounds.

So I put myself back on the same calorie goal of 2170 a day, planning on stepping it down every three months to keep between a 1 - 1.15 lbs per week loss until I reach 180 lbs. So far I have lost 7 pounds.

Anyway, more to the point, my appetite has significantly changed, even from the start of this diet round. I still want to eat more, but I am ok. I eat my three meals a day, plus two snacks of 1/4 cup of unsalted almonds at 10 and 2 to get me through the day. I am not having the blood sugar crashes, the hunger pains, or the general obsession with food. I know appetite is suppose to change with diet, but I did not think it would occur this suddenly or thoroghly.

Is this shift normal? Has anyone else had this signficant reduction in Appetite after only a two weeks on a normal diet?

Thanks,
Dustin

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I can't say I came from a place like yours, but I definitely think that appetites can change drastically. It probably has most to do with what you've been eating. Before on your diet, you didn't mention anything about nutritional content other than calories. Now, especially with the almonds, I'd guess your protein is higher. Higher protein and fats really do keep you fuller than carbs, which still keep you fuller than sugars.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    When i first began my journey i could eat and eat and eat and never feel full. I never felt satisfied. EVER.

About a week or two of being strict with my calorie goal on MFP i was no longer super hungry. As a matter of a fact i sometimes have to force myself to eat all of the calories im allotted because i feel full longer.

I'd say its pretty normal to have that change.
  • dustinlsullivan
    Options
    I was not tracking it, but it was mostly candy, cookies, pastries, and large poritions of just about everything else. I still eat quite a bit of what I use to (minus the candy and pastries), but mostly try to keep my portions in check with the serving sizes, so that I dont have to drastically change my next meal to hit my daily target. The almonds, and for a smaller boost peanuts, have been great getting me meal to meal.

But it has kinda surprised me just how much my appetite has changed from a month ago. Starting from basically the same weight, eating the same foods, now my appetite is much more moderated than before. Really, I am wondering if this is healthy change in appetite.
  • dustinlsullivan
    Options
    Well, I guess I am doing things right. I have never taken my health or weight seriously before, so this is all new to me. Thanks everyone.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    After doing phase one on South Beach and stablizing my blood sugar, my appetite always drops drastically, I lose my cravings for sweets and starches, love it!