Hydrostatic Weighing: Why numbers on a scales sometimes don'

Options
In November 2010, I had my body fat measured by a personal trainer with calipers and she came up with 32% body fat.

The problem with getting tested with calipers is you have the problem of operator error, which can vary greatly, and skin elasticity will also effect results. That is why soon after I had my fat measured by the personal trainer I went to a medical center and had my fat measured using hydrostatic weighing.

In my case, the personal trainer using the calipers was off by 8% body fat!

There are other methods of testing fat, especially if you don't like being submerged in water. The following site will help you decide which method works for you and is the most accurate: http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/bodycomp.html

I would check with Universities, Medical Centers or do a web search of "Bod Pod" and/or "hydrostatic weighing " to have your fat percentage checked in your area.

NOW... as per my results, you will see how numbers on a weight scale are not as important as how your clothes fit.
Also, numbers on a weight scale are not helpful when accessing fitness.
You will also see that BMI is not very accurate.

On 11/23/2010 and 1/23/2012 I had hydrostatic weighing.

On NOVEMBER 23, 2010, my stats:

BMI = 27.6

Body Fat = 23.7 %

Weight = 166

Lean Body Mass = 127 lbs

Fat Mass = 39 lbs

On JANUARY 23,2012, my stats:

BMI = 28.3

Body Fat = 27.9%

Weight = 170

Lean Body Mass = 123 lbs

Fat Mass = 47 lbs

HOLY SMOKES! DO YOU SEE WHAT I SEE?!?!?!

I currently weigh only 4 lbs more than what I weighed in Nov 23, 2010.

HOWEVER, I lost 4 lbs of Lean Body Mass and gained 8 lbs of FAT!

I was wondering why my clothes still did not fit. It is because I gained fat and lost muscle.

Good news: I know where I came from. I know how to get back in shape and I am doing it right now. My future: A lot of fat burning cardio and some muscle making exercises.

Replies

• easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I'm getting a hydrostatic test done this Friday so I can compare it to my Tanita scale at home. I'll probably do the hydrostatic test bi-annually just to track things better.

Has anyone else done these more extensive body composition tests? What are your thoughts?
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Good for you!