Anyone with PCOS & struggling

Options
Hi, just wondered if anyone else has PCOS and struggling to shift the weight - I don't know if it is true but someone said that I should stay away from alot of fruit because of the natural sugar as having PCOS means my body doesn't deal with sugar properly????

Help please - really tried and still put on 1 pound last week

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hey there..I have PCOS, IR and Hypothyroidism. I take metformin for the PCOS and armour thyroid for the hypothyroid. As far as what to do...the best advices is to stay away from processed carbs...any of your boxed meals/breads/pasta..you get the idea.

Our bodies tend to take these carbs and instead of using them as energy..they still store them as fat. I get my carbs from my veggies and fruits...And you are right about fruits..I dont do more than 2 servings a day. I eat bananas and pineapples and strawberries..but only very limited quantities..and like every 3 weeks or so.

You can lose weight.
    There are several groups on here related to PCOS...

Good Luck
  • Brittypop
    Options
    Dumb question but is PCOS only due to being overweight or are there other factors involved?
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    PCOS has loads of factors...Each of us is different..here is mine
    Weight gain...mainly around tummy (but I have a friend whose sister has it..and she had no weight gain..but everything else)
    skin tags
    darkening of arm pits
    missed periods
    facial hair
    lack of motivation...bits of depression
    I never had the cysts..but everything else..OMG...
  • divinesoul
    divinesoul Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Dumb question but is PCOS only due to being overweight or are there other factors involved?

PCOS is caused by hormonal imbalance in the body, which is caused by Insulin resistance. PCOS also tends to run in families, a person with PCOS can have mother or sister with PCOS as well. So, main culprits are Insulin resistance and genetics. Being overweight definitely increase the chances, but a lean person too can have PCOS.