RUNNERS what stretches do I need to do to avoid shin splints

Options
2»

Replies

• Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Ashimon and others gave lots of great suggestions here... I wanted to add - as a former sufferer of shin splints, AWFUL!! - that running barefoot is what allowed me to really enjoy injury free running. If nothing else, you quickly learn the proper gait and footstrike. Now that those have become more habitual for me, I can sometimes run in shoes without shin splints. Not everyone is going to actually prefer barefoot running like I do... but I think that for many people, doing at least *some* running barefoot can be really informative about how to run well. It was the answer to my "I want to run but it HURTS" problem. :smile:

Rest and ice until the pain is gone (otherwise you're just going to keep irritating them, and extend your injured time.) You want to make sure to stretch your calves and Achilles tendons well, and strengthen the muscles along your shin. Toe taps, lifting a weighted bag with your toes, writing the alphabet in the air with pointed toes, etc, all work that area.

When you start running again, slow and easy does it! The enthusiasm that makes you want to do all you can do all at once is what's going to cause injuries like shin splints... too much, too soon, is a recipe for getting laid up so you're not able to do anything for weeks. (BTDT -- it's really, really common!)
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Let me preface by saying I've run 4 marathons and will begin training for a fifth in the spring.

Your comfy shoes are allowing you to over stride and land on your heals. Take smaller quicker steps and try and relax. It seems counter productive, but the with smaller steps it is much easier on your entire lower body and with practice more efficient. Look up evolution running or pose, both are extremely good at teaching you proper form and I believe even offer DVD instruction. Good Luck!

^This.

Basically, you're using your heals too much causing strain on your shins. We are so used to having a nice cushion at the heals of our shoes (NIKE to blame), that we tend to use it as a crutch for comfort when in reality you're doing damage. The proper shoes can help however the proper strides are truly what you need to practice. Should be landing on the balls of your feet. A popular shoe these days are the 5 finger Vibram shoes. However they do take some time to break yourself into them.