What a difference a year makes (pics)

Options
I apologize ahead of time, pic intensive *L*

One year ago today I joined MFP.

Prior to joining i had already lost 17 pounds off my starting weight of 242 pounds for this 'loss' attempt.
Those 17 pounds came off between Nov/10 and Jan 23/11, with simple healthy choices instead of the thoughtless way I had been eating before that,

I've always known how to eat in a healthy manner... i simply never really had it 'click' in my head that life was not a dress rehearsal for anything. No one would fix 'me' for me, except me, and if i didn't get busy and REALLY do something about it now I was likely to die prematurely young, just as my Mum did, with weight related issues.

No, 242 pounds was not an all-time high for me, I simply don't know how much heavier than that I have been as I would have nothing to do with the scale.

This pic was taken in December, 2007... I have no idea my weight in it, but for sure it was more than 242!

micheledec172007.jpg

This one was taken in June, 2010.. I am amazed when I look at this one now as I clearly remember that on that day I was actually feeling pretty good about how I looked so was not hiding from the camera (something I have done all my life as I have been overweight/obese ALL my life, literally since I was born)

5849885554_71d0857296.jpg

And now a couple of 'durings' *S*:

Moments after my first grandchild was born, July 2011.. this child will be the first person in my family who will never have known me as an obese person *proud smile*

5939741688_236d5dd68b.jpg

This one is not very good quality...taken in August 2011, but I had to take it... me.. in a form fitting size 12 calvin klein dress... when just a year before I was wearing size 20, and definitely not form fitting!

calvinkleinsize12.jpg

September 2011:

sept8inamirror.jpg

December 25 2011... about 10 pounds heavier than in September... thanks to falling prey to the myriad of goodies at work for the 2 months before Xmas (my office was next to the kitchen where all the baking was being done for sale, and I was weak *L*)

michelechristmas2011.jpg

So.. how did I lose?
Eating consistently at the calorie level allotted, including exercise calories, eliminating processed sugars and sugar substitutes, using only whole grains whenever possible, LOTS of veg!, and keeping sodium under 1500mg per day.
The sodium alone was one of the main methods I found that helped keep me eating in a healthy manner as eating at restaurants or eating pre-made meals etc from grocery stores did not allow me to stay under in sodium.

Thanks to the relaxed choices I made during the holidays, I have gained about 10 pounds back... but here's how I know I finished the year with my new mindset firmly in place.

I do not feel like I have failed *S*
Yes I gained a little, BUT... that does not mean every meal of every day has now reverted to how badly I used to eat a year ago, as would have been the case throughout my past!
And slowly but surely, just as when I started a year ago, I am coaxing all my daily choices back into the right direction again.. because, quite simply, life happens, I don't need to beat myself up over it anymore... because i KNOW I have this.. now.. and for the rest of my life! *S*

I WILL reach my goal weight this year.. of that I have no doubt whatsoever (159).. and As that is the high end of normal weight for my height, bone structure and age, the odds are good I will choose to go a little lower just to give myself 'room' to live .. 150 is sounding about right .. see you there! *S*

cheers to us all!

Replies

• Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yay Shelly!!! I don't think I've ever seen your "before" pictures and I can't believe how awesome you look! Congratulations! So glad to have you on my friends list!
  • rebeccaboise
    rebeccaboise Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great job! You have a wonderful attitude that will surely carry you the rest of the way to your goal.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats!!
  • jmorrisof2
    jmorrisof2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    OMG! What an inspiration. You look amazing. Thank you for sharing with us. See you at 150 :)
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Shelly I loved this post. You are such a beautiful woman, thank you for sharing this. I want to get back to my dedication and commitment that I had the first 6 months of last year. I want to make this a year that I get to my final goal as well. We can do it together. You are so inspiring!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    You are amazing. Truly inspiring.
  • pandie147
    Options
    You look amazing!!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,273 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Shelly, you are one of my inspirations.
    Keri
  • FlabulessFam
    Options
    WOW!! Thanks so much for the inspiration! I hope to be able to make a post just like this a year from now!! :)
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Not only do you look lighter, you look a whole lot younger! GO YOU!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    what a hottie!! you look great, keep up the hard work!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    awesome job, girl! You look amazing!!! Congrats on the new grandbaby as well.
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wow... Truly inspiring. Seeing your accomplishments gives me the motivation to accomplish my own goals. Thank you for sharing!!! You're absolutely gorgeous!!! :)
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    And slowly but surely, just as when I started a year ago, I am coaxing all my daily choices back into the right direction again.. because, quite simply, life happens, I don't need to beat myself up over it anymore... because i KNOW I have this.. now.. and for the rest of my life! *S*

CONGRATULATIONS! Not only do you look fantastic (and HAPPY)...but getting to that peaceful place where you realize you don't have to flog yourself every time you stumble a little -- that's FANTASTIC. Celebrate all of it. Every minute.

(I used to be good at beating myself up, too...Doesn't it feel so good when you stop??)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Wooooowww O___O
    You look younger and amazing. I really have NO excuses now.... thanks for busting me on that!
    See you @ 150!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Your an inspiration thankyou! You look stunning
  • FitN50s
    FitN50s Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You look like a different person! Congratulations on the weight loss, and on the grandbaby!
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Phenomenal!!!! Quite inspiring! And don't apologize for a pic heavy post - you know that's what everyone wants/needs to see!! The most inspiring part though is truly your attitude. My biggest goal is to be comfortable and feel in control even when I let myself "slack" a little here or there throughout the year. For now, I freak out a little still when I've eaten more or worked out less than I should have.

Great job!!! I look forward to the 159 update (and maybe the 150, if you decide to do that)!
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You look (and I'm sure FEEL) fabulous!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!