What to do after a 5k?

Options
2»

Replies

• ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Simultaneous running goals are smart. Now that you can comfortably do a 5k on the treadmill at 34 minutes look at signing up for charity races. So much fun.

Then set up a new running schedule. Work both distance, going further but slower pace. And work to improve speed, doing walk/sprint intervals instead of steady pace jogging. A good training schedule may look something like this...

Day 1: Interval Training. 2 miles of Intervals (walk 1 minute, run/sprint 1 minute) switching back and forth for the 2 miles.

Day 2: Steady state comfortable run. For you this might be your 5k at 34 minutes.

Day 3: Tempo Run. Run 1 or 2 miles as quickly as you can.

Day 4: Intervals again.

Day 5: Long Slow Run. Go at a slower pace, but increase distance each week. 4 miles, 4.5 miles. 5 miles, 6 miles etc

A schedule like this might have you running M-T-R-S with W off for rest day and choose between Sa or Su off for rest day.
  • GateCrasher1
    GateCrasher1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Captain obvious thinks a 10K is in order.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is entirely up to you! Either way you decide to lean towards is fine!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I think one of the things you should do is enter a race! You will surprise yourself on race day with how well you do. The racing community is fantastic, with lots of support all over the place. After that, i would consider working towards an 8K, or if you like the 5K distance, then trying to get it a bit faster at a time.

^^^^This, then go for the 10K and after that sign up for Tough Mudder...that's what I did anyway : ) I love to keep challenging myself. But if you enjoy the running definitely keep at it to go faster or longer!
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Start doing training that would allow you to run a longer race (like a 10k). You will be increasing distance you are running, which will invariably result in a lowering of your 5k time.

Agree with the others on running outside.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I have 2 small children, which is why I normally run on the treadmill. Pushing 100lbs of kids and stroller is a little more than I can handle!
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    I did both. When I finished the Couch to 5K program, I went back and repeated the program, but increasing my speeds from walking to a light jog, and from jogging to running faster, in an effort to help increase my speed. That actually worked really well.

Then I did the Bridge to 10K program to increase my distance, and ran my first 10K race last May. It rocked! The B210K is a great program to increase from a 5K to a 10K.

Now I'm using another training program to train up a half-marathon. Later in the summer I'll be doing a 200 mile relay with about 11 other people.

There are lots of programs out there that can help you build on what you have. Active.com and Runner's World have some good resources for training.

Good luck!
  • thekiminat0r
    Options
    Try the best of both worlds:
    A couple of times a week, work on running shorter distances at a faster pace, and once a week work on running further, but at a slower pace. On your slow runs, increase your distance a little each week and before you know it, you'll be running 10K in your sleep and your 5K pace will increase naturally.
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I would suggest running some HIIT runs on the treadmill (or outdoors too) High Intensity Interval Training :) Basically you run 90% of a full out sprint for 30 sec then you walk around 3.5 mph for 30 sec. You repeat this 12-15 times for a really good workout. And then when you run a 5k on another day your time improves a lot! Plus the HIIT runs are really fun and exhilarating I think :) You can google them more if you like, but they do burn a lot of calories in a short workout. Also I would suggest as another poster said - include some lower (and upper) body strength training. I am doing Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred and I find it helps me get a all over workout in on my off running days :) Best of luck with your goals!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Start doing training that would allow you to run a longer race (like a 10k). You will be increasing distance you are running, which will invariably result in a lowering of your 5k time.

Agree with the others on running outside.

This sounds right.

I haven't yet run my first 5k, but I'm working on increasing my overall distance per week. I also use a HRM to help me stay in a reasonable zone during exercise.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a cookie after I run 5k.

Slowly building your endurance will net you the increased speed you seek.
    Look into B210K and then look into some of the half marathon programs after that, soon you'll be going after that 26.2 miles. :bigsmile:
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I too am at the stage where I can run 5k and the furthest I've jogged is 6.4k. My 5k is pretty slow and I want it to be 30 minutes or less.

My current plan of attack is to increase my endurance over longer distances. The theory is if I can last for 10k then my 5k will become faster.

I think it's because when I was only running 5k I was budgeting myself for those 5k. If I run 10k on a regular basis then I won't feel scared about running faster on the 5k.

Hopefully it works :)

EDIT: Pretty much said what others have said already LOL! I agree with running outside. It's harder physically at first but it's easier in other ways. The change in landscape helps with keeping a mental note of your progress.