I think I'm pregnant! What will happen ??

Options
Hi guys!

For the last week I have "symptoms" that make me think I might be pregnant (but it's too soon to detect it with a test...)!! I was planning it but only at the achievement of my goal (13 lb away) but life has funny ways sometimes so now, I'm wondering what will happen with my eating and exercise habit??

I know if she's overweight/obsese, I women can loose or gain much less pounds during the pregnancy but since my BMI is 24.8, can I keep my calorie intake low (1200-1400 a day) with my exercices (30 day shred 3-4 times a week) and loose fat while gaining weight from the normal modification of the body (ex. breast, blood volume, etc.) ???

Thanks for your hepl!!

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    if you have been doing high impact cardio already, I am pretty sure you can keep up with it through pregnancy. If you just started (three months or less ago) I would reduce it down to jogging/brisk walking. As far as calorie restrictions, I would bump it up to 1500 a day.

as with everything...talk to your doctor though.
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I doubt it will be a good idea to keep your calories low for an entire pregnancy - yes, you may lose some body fat, but gaining weight is very important for a gestating baby. You don't want your calorie intake to be so low that a little one doesn't thrive as they should. However, if you really are that early on, you won't have to change a whole lot just yet. Just be sure to eat balanced, take a daily prenatal vitamin, and once you know for sure you can talk to your doctor about pregnancy nutrition. He/she will be able to tell you exactly the minimum calories/protein/carb you need to keep a baby healthy.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    In 9 months, another person comes out of your body. Mind = Blown.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I would take a test, see if you have a positive, visit a doctor & discuss these questions with them & ask to be referred to a dietitian.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No. Do not diet while pregnant. JFC. Talk to your doctor. You'd be okay eating at maintenance for the first trimester and maybe 300 over during the second too. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. DO NOT DIET WHILE PREGNANT.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Don't count on MFP advice, just stick to your norm and then get advice from your doctor since EVERYONE is different and the top priority is the (possible) baby right now.... Once you're sure, go see a doctor and make sure you're taking your prenatals and getting plenty of good fats and eating as healthy and natural as possible... stay active though. God bless you and good luck.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    disclaimer.png
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

I know if she's overweight/obsese, I women can loose or gain much less pounds during the pregnancy but since my BMI is 24.8, can I keep my calorie intake low (1200-1400 a day) with my exercices (30 day shred 3-4 times a week) and loose fat while gaining weight from the normal modification of the body (ex. breast, blood volume, etc.) ???

Can you explain this a little more clearly? It sounds like you're worried that the baby will be overweight?
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I agree. You need to see a dietician. Also, I'm not sure I'd be doing less than 2000 calories a day while growing another person.

( And, YAY, congrats! )
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I would take a test, see if you have a positive, visit a doctor & discuss these questions with them & ask to be referred to a dietitian.

This.

and...

Congrats :smile:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    disclaimer.png
    Just to make sure this is seen.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!!!!
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would say (as peer advice, not an expert.) to switch to maintenance calories. 1200 calories would *definitely* not be enough even if you were obese and you aren't. If you've been working out you should be able to as long as you keep it within a reasonable intensity. During second and third trimesters you will need to raise your calories more but your doctor or midwife should be able to advise you on this. I am also planning on getting pregnant soon too. Congrats!
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^hahahaha
    ...definately talk to your doctor though.... I personally would try to maintain throughout the pregnancy. If you deprive your body, you are depriving your baby.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!!!!
    I'm not a doctor...but I play one on MFP
    AND YOU PLAY ONE VERY CONVINCINGLY.

I didn't mean that to be caps, but I'm on my phone and don't feel like fixing it.
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    Everyone is different. Only your doctor can give you exact advice tailored to YOU specifically. Most doctors you can email nowadays and get advice. I did that my entire pregnancy (I have a 3 month old). Emailed with every little question.

In short - ASK YOUR DOCTOR :P Congrats BTW! Google 'early pregnancy test' There are super sensitive tests you can buy (for less than $1 ea) that test HCG down to 10MIU (most store bought tests are sensitive to 25+MIU). I used them with my daughter. I found out at 3 weeks and 2 days that I was pregnant with one of those tests.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    First - Pee on a stick
    Second - Find a midwife that does homebirths because OBs are a pain in the gut.
    Third - Read Henci Goer's A Thinking Woman's Guide to Childbirth.
    Fourth - Don't be stupid and eat a ton of **** while pregnant and gain 100lbs.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    Dollar General Pregnancy tests....I tested positive 7 DPO.
  • RosalindaP
    RosalindaP Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have to agree about seeing a dietician if you are in fact pregnant. I remember reading once while I was pregnant that the extra work your body is doing is equivilent to climbing a mountain everyday! LOL I don't think it is exactly true but what a visual right?! You are going to be burning more so you are going to need to be eating more...a dietician can help you learn how to eat to keep you and your baby healthy.

The thing is your body will take everything it needs and give it to your baby...if you don't get enough of all your necessary nutients your health will fade and it will be a much tougher pregnancy for you...and trust me you will need all the energy you can muster those first few months.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think those are questions best discussed with your OB.