Have a steak for night need side ideas

Options
I have a beef steak for tonights dinner. But I have no ideas on sides. Getting a little tired of salads.

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash is awesome..can do so much with it
    steamed veggies..
  • pf3855
    pf3855 Posts: 31
    Options
    Bake a sweet potato! Add a little low fat butter, yummy!!
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love the Just for One singles (cauliflower/cheese or brocoli and cheese) by Green Giant. Pop in the microwave adn they are done!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato mash
    Quinoa pilaff
    Brocoli and peas, sauteed in garlicky olive oil
    Ratatouille
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    hasselback potatoes

hasselback%20potato.jpg
  • velvetss24
    velvetss24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Steamed veggies, like brocolli with lemon juice, snow peas.

I have a great reciepe for cauliflower that is like a double stuffed baked potatoe.

take a head of Cauliflower and clean out most of the core.

Put in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Steam for about 5 minutes in the microwave

In another bowl add about a 1/4 cup to a 1/2 a cup of Light Mayo with about 2 teaspoons of mustard and a finly chopped onion. After you have steamed the cauliflower be careful and pull back the plastic wrap the steam will scalud you. Pour the mayo mixture over the top an and about 2 cups of shredded lowfat chedder cheese then cover again and microwave for about another 2 minutes till the cheese is melted. Salt and pepper to taste.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    hasselback potatoes

Oh god. I need to make those tonight. My dad used to make them and I've not had them in sooooo long. He sprinkled paprika on them.

I love sauteed mushrooms with my steak! A little butter, some black pepper and garlic. YUMMO!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Red potatoes, quartered, seasoned with rosemary and a little black pepper, cooked stovetop in light sweet cream butter done al-dente. Top with a little fresh parsley or cilantro to garnish.

Grilled corn is also a good one.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Asparagus...

Rub with a little olive oil and sea salt and roast them, OR
    do what Alton Brown does, put them in between two rows of moistened paper towels and microwave. Then season with the salt and a little olive oil if you like.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Steaks are pretty heavy so I like something light to go with them. Roasted broccoli and/or cauliflower, sauted green beans and mushrooms, steamed or sauted greens w garlic, cabbage and jicama slaw w horseradish dressing. Something along those lines.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    kale
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Bacon wrapped scallops.
  • mama_to_1
    mama_to_1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    at my favorite restuarant i always get steamed veggies with my steak :smile: it's so yummy!
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    HONEY PARMESAN ASPARAGUS

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Bundle Fresh Asparagus
    3 Tbsp Olive Oil
    2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
    2 Tbsp Honey
    1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    DIRECTIONS:
    Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and asparagus spears, then add the honey. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until asparagus is tender. Place on serving dish and top with shredded Parmesan cheese.

HELPFUL TIPS:
    This dish can be adapted to taste. You can add extra olive oil. If you want it sweeter, add more honey. If you prefer it cheesier, you can add more cheese. I prefer my asparagus well done so I tend to cook it a little bit longer.
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato with a little smart balance and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar. Oh, and some broccoli or some type of "green" veggie. Yum! :)
  • msmellebelle
    Options
    creamed cauliflower: a little non fat milk, butter (i use i can't believer its not butter light), garlic salt, pepper (any other seasonings you would like). steam the cauliflower til its a bit mushy. remove from steamer and blend together with above ingredients.

spaghetti squash is also AWESOME!
  • avk9802
    avk9802 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Baked potato. A standard size potato is only 150 calories. Be careful what you put on top of it though.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Roasted cherry tomatoes - Just drizzle with olive oil, balsamic and salt+pepper. Broil on high (baking sheet with foil) until they burst and the edges char. The juice and tomatoes are amazing on taters and meat.

Do you like eggplant? Because this recipe blew my mind. Would be amazing with grilled steak and brown rice. Just drizzle the sauce all over your meal. yummm

http://happygoodtime.com/2012/01/10/grilled-eggplant-steaks-with-spicy-hoisin-and-balsamic-glaze/

I know you're tired of salads, but this one is a bit different from the usual. Amazing carrot ginger dressing

http://happygoodtime.com/2011/12/08/asian-style-slaw-with-carrot-ginger-dressing/
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    Kale Pesto
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese /small baked potato /acorn squash sautee some onions mushrooms