weightlifting gloves

Options
Anyone have suggestions for weightlifting gloves? I plan to start lifting heavy...(still working up to it, did 20 lb curls today) Some of the reviews I've seen on Amazon for the Harbinger and Saranac b-grl gloves aren't that great. I have small hands...and I want something that's comfortable.

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I use cheapies from Walmart. But, considering I avoid using them whenever possible, I'm not picky about quality.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    go to a sporting goods store and try some on
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    No specific brands or anything that are better than others? I like to buy quality equipment, not cheap stuff....as tempting as the cheap stuff is...haha.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I use Harbingers. Some people say theirs get holes quickly but I've had mine for about a year and no troubles. I also lift heavy. They weren't too expensive so when I have to replace them I won't be too upset. Just go try some one. I would go with cheapies first because what if you don't like lifting in them?
  • JRoselee
    JRoselee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Got mine on sale at Kmart...Weider brand. Less than $10. Serves their purpose.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    chalk
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I bought Nike ones almost 3 years ago, I also lift heavy and they really helped. They are women's (so made for smaller hands) and they're still holding in there (although they are getting pretty frayed around the edges).
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    chalk
    agreed, along with forming some nice hard callouses.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I like to feel the knurling (grip) on the bar so I rarely ever where gloves. If my calluses are too thick and I'm doing heavy barbell/dumbell curls these are the gloves I use. They are "fingerless" and they are easy to take on and off.

http://store.bodybuildingfactory.com/valeo-neoprene-glove.html

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    chalk

Was just going to say something similar.
    For me, I prefer without as it feels more comfortable and natural. You get calluses but they only really show just after a workout, the rest of the time I can only see mine a tiny bit.

If you prefer gloves though, any decent sports shop should stock them, I've seen loads about where I live, just try them on until you find ones that fit nicely.
  • CTK3989
    CTK3989 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use Harbinger gloves.
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you're going heavy, I strongly recommend some wrist straps.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I like the Harbinger gloves--they are a little bulkier, however. I do think it is best to try them on--I went to the store when I got mine and ended up with a completely different size that I had planned.

Mine wear great--again, a little stiff to get on and off, but you can just throw them in the wash when needed.

I have one hole in the thumb, but that's one my buddy chewed in right before he died, so I wouldn't give that up for anything. Dogs, or at least mine did --LOVE used weight lifting gloves. He would nudge open the zipper in my gym bag and root around for 10 minutes if necessary to find them.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    another vote for chalk here
  • marphydoll
    marphydoll Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i had the b-grl gloves and really like them! I have small hands too and the fit is great!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    chalk

This
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Chalk and usually only when pulling.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think clausses (sp) on a man's hand from weights are sexy as hell
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend em, unless you really need wrist support on pressing. The callouses and blisters are your badges of honor - cherish them.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    No chalk allowed in my gym, I do wear gloves on lifting days - fingerless ones as mentioned above.