Is the calorie database accurate?

Options
Hi, I am on my 5th day here and I'm really enjoying it. I was just wondering if you guys are finding that the calories in the food database are accurate? Thank you!!!

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i would say its about 50/50.... a lot of the stuff is user-entered, so theres a great chance of incorrect info, or if they live in a different part of the country/world the same item might have different numbers.. but generally things are correct (at least for what i eat lol)
    when ever i have a question i either look at a restaurants menu online, or google nutrition info for fresh produce and compare
  • knasmommy
    Options
    Ok, thank you! For the most part when I actually look it seems to be correct, but there are so many entries for each thing I wasn't sure. Thanks and congrats on your 29 lbs!!!!
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree with rockerbabyy. Before I add it I check to see if it makes sense. Most of the time I scan the bar codes of food with my smartphone and enter the data that way. When I search for a food and see how many other people have agreed with it , it boosts my confidence. I'll even check what they entered versus the numbers on my container and if they are accurate I will confirm theirs versus adding my own. I have found issues when you change quantities that the numbers don't make sense.

As an example (I'm making this up) 1 egg at 20 carbs and 5 protein but you switch it to a 3 egg total and it jumps to 200 carbs and 50 protein. Just something to look for.