Healthy Snack Foods for a Roadtrip?

Options
The boyfriend and I are going to Atlanta tomorrow and coming back Wednesday. It's a 4 hour drive one way and as much as I would love to grab a bunch of candy bars and what not, I can't afford to not exercise and eat a butt-ton of junk food for two days. SO...what's everyone's favorite car-ride foods? (Minus peanuts because I am DEATHLY allergic.)

Replies

• calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    will you have a little cooler or anything? if so, baby carrots, string cheese, other veggies.

fruit
    granola bars
    other nuts (unless you're allergic to those as well)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    String cheese, nuts (other than peanuts) , healthy protein bars, veggies. apples. It's good you want to be prepared.
  • lunaephiliac
    Options
    so much water! seriously, tons of water will help keep you from snacking all your hard work away.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump!!!! have a 24 hour trip down south, and another 24 hour trip back home!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, string cheese is a good option. Beef jerky, pork rinds, baby carrots, pretzels, and some homemade protein cookies/brownies.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs! And ditto on the water suggestion from above. Gum works too.
  • whiterice83
    whiterice83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What about raisins, dried cranberries, almonds, 90 calorie granola bars, fresh fruit (bananas, apples, etc). And totally lots of water like the others said.
  • Swanie974
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread. I go horse showing most weekend and really need healthy snacks for our long trips.
    I usually have a bag of apples, carrots, but i might add a bag of nuts and protein bars.
  • Squir88
    Squir88 Posts: 24
    Options
    I guess beer and pretzels are out. LOL :)
  • jmorrison22
    Options
    we just came back from a road trip and i ate sunflower seeds and dried fruit and lots of crystal light if you like it i get so sick of water and crystal light is only 5 calories. Good luck
  • JollyJane13
    JollyJane13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    popcorn, rice cakes (I get the mini caramel corn ones), apple slices, cucumber with lemon, and turkey bacon. :)
  • AuntieLisa4
    AuntieLisa4 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The boyfriend and I are going to Atlanta tomorrow and coming back Wednesday. It's a 4 hour drive one way and as much as I would love to grab a bunch of candy bars and what not, I can't afford to not exercise and eat a butt-ton of junk food for two days. SO...what's everyone's favorite car-ride foods? (Minus peanuts because I am DEATHLY allergic.)

Thanks for asking. Im going to Ohio wed. (6hr round trip one day) and i was wondering the same thing.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    roasted chickpeas! they're like corn nuts without the fat and with lots of good fibre lol
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've been eating reduced salt roasted almonds (1/4 cup) and I sprinkle some semi sweet chocolate morsels in the baggie with them. It's a really filling, satisfying snack.

I like Kashi granola bars.

Grape tomatoes, baby carrots, bananas. Clif Z bars are also really good.

Even cheese and crackers.
  • cindycoldiron
    cindycoldiron Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you watching carbs? If so the ANSI Ultimate Flurry bars are amazing...they taste just like candy...mmm, I want one right now.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i love larabars, beef jerky (high protein!!), and pistachios. Have you heard of Pepitas? I don't know if they are a nut or a seed, but they look like seeds and taste like pistachios kinda. Good healthy fat, and high protein too.
  • luckybunny84
    Options
    I love to take Jerky, protein bars, and homemade trail mix. I mix raisin, pistachios, almonds, dried cranberries and mini chocolate chips if I treating myself. Living in Montana it is at least a 2 hour drive to any other town so I get a lot of practice eating on the road
  • cooter2533
    Options
    You cannot beat beef jerky for road trip food :)
  • LetYourLightShine
    Options
    Grapes! Grapes are portable, nutritious, and tasty!
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Summer is here and so is summer roadtrip season. Bumping this thread for any other ideas.

I used to love getting one of those big bags of pre-popped popcorn from the gas station on roadtrips, but not any more.

I am surprised at how many calories goes into even homemade trailmix, i was thinking of making that for the trip. Any more ideas for just filler to help occupy the boring hours we will spend int he car for 2 weeks, over 3000 miles?