Walking to Lose Weight

Options
I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience on walking to lose weight? I'm walking 4 miles a day 6 days a week.

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience on walking to lose weight? I'm walking 4 miles a day 6 days a week.
    Sure, I was too fat to do anything else, so I walked away my first 30 lbs out of a total of 70.

Walking is great!
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Options
    Since I started my weight loss journey I have been doing the Leslie Sanson walk away the pounds. She has tons of different videos.I just got her 5 mile workout & I love it!!It has really helped me tone. I believe walking helps tons!!Keep it up!!:bigsmile:
  • cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been walking for about 13 months now. Due to an injury I have only been able to walk or ride a bike. I have managed to lose all my weight with just walking. Just recently I have been able to add jogging as well. I walk and then jog and then walk and then jog. I do this as long as I can manage. :)

Good luck. Feel free to add me as a friend, I believe the more the merrier.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    That is how I lost most of my weight. Walking is great but you might find you need to switch it up s little as you body gets used to it.
  • bartrima
    Options
    Walking works, I did lose 28, but gain back about 8 since I stopped walking.
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It's a wonderful way to get cardio in and burn calories. They may not fall off immediately but keep it up and after a month or two you'll notice it. Get some good music...makes it fun!!
  • mapinkerton
    Options
    BUT are you counting calories? You have to know how many calories you are taking in and how many you are burning.

I started eating healthier, recording it, and walking on my treadmill 5 days a week. I lost 25 lbs. in 90 days and a total of 36 lbs. in 180 days. The doctor told me to go with 1200 calories a day. Any calories I burned on the treadmill, I could eat also. SO the more I walked, the more I could eat.

The days I didn't use the treadmill I could only eat 1200 calories. THAT was hard; but I only had to do that 2 days a week.
  • Dawn200321
    Dawn200321 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I walk 2 miles everyday! I love it! Its peaceful for me!
  • vwoman8
    Options
    Just started today with walking. Hoping to get the results like the rest of you!
  • MelissaJ20
    Options
    Yes! I bought these walking videos once, when I just could not get motivated to run again and I lost ten pounds!!!! :) IT WORKS!
  • jmcgreggor
    jmcgreggor Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear I am on the right path! I have read good and bads about walking online. I know it will take longer to lose weight walking. How long did it take everyone to lose weight?
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i lost 65 lbs in 6 months by reducing calories and walking. loved it! stopped doing it and gain a lot of it back which is what brought me here... but if you stick with it then it works great! :happy:
  • geohow11
    geohow11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For 8 months all I did was walk in the pool for 60 minutes a day
  • jmcgreggor
    jmcgreggor Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    BUT are you counting calories? You have to know how many calories you are taking in and how many you are burning.

I started eating healthier, recording it, and walking on my treadmill 5 days a week. I lost 25 lbs. in 90 days and a total of 36 lbs. in 180 days. The doctor told me to go with 1200 calories a day. Any calories I burned on the treadmill, I could eat also. SO the more I walked, the more I could eat.

The days I didn't use the treadmill I could only eat 1200 calories. THAT was hard; but I only had to do that 2 days a week.

I am just now counting calories. It shows that my recommended calories are 1500 a day. Seems a bit high but I'm also not wanting to diet too crazy. I want to enjoy food so I dont fall back into old habits if I give everything up.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. I have bum knees so running and jumping are out of the question for me. I walk several times a week and I also just started doing Zumba on the Kinect. Anything that keeps you moving is a good alternative to sitting on the couch!

I am on 1250 calories a day and have lost 39 pounds since the first of September.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Walking is brilliant. I now do weights, running, cycling, Insanity etc, and these are all great because I'm short on time and I can be done in hour.

But the best results I ever had with losing fat came from fast walking 7 miles a day, 5 days a week. Definitely! The only downside was it took so long to do. If I was less busy that would certainly be my exercise of choice (as long as you walk fast. And if you can find some hills, even better).
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds, and have kept off over 55 of it for five years, and basically the only exercise I do is walking -- inside, on a treadmill, outside whenever I can. 1600+ miles in 2010 and 1200+ miles in 2011.

I am here now to lose 5-10 pounds once again....and it is hard, but I do admit I don't watch what I eat nearly as closely as I did when I was actively trying to lose weight. In all honesty, at my lowest, I was probably too low, but I'd sure like to maintain at 135 give or take a few pounds than 140, give or take a few. :wink:

Good luck on your journey -- make sure you buy good shoes to walk in!!!!
    Kaye