cardio bunny?

Options
2»

Replies

• it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think exercise is like food, in that you need a balance of most things to be healthy. Cardio with no weights is not healthy, but I am not convinced that weights with no cardio is healthy. Also, I believe that intense training and interval training should be combined with endurance training, both in weights and in cardio work - as my Dad says of many gym rats, bet they'd die after an hour on a bushwalk!

In addition, stretching and core strengthening are both extremely beneficial and should not be neglected, they assist in recovery and management of back pain.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I think exercise is like food, in that you need a balance of most things to be healthy. Cardio with no weights is not healthy, but I am not convinced that weights with no cardio is healthy. Also, I believe that intense training and interval training should be combined with endurance training, both in weights and in cardio work - as my Dad says of many gym rats, bet they'd die after an hour on a bushwalk!

In addition, stretching and core strengthening are both extremely beneficial and should not be neglected, they assist in recovery and management of back pain.

agreed.

No point in being able to lift a car if you get puffed walking up a set of stairs.

No point in being to run for hours on end if you can lift up something heavier than your purse.

Balance is key :smile:
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't think she has a nice *kitten*? She doesn't even have one!

I think cardio is important to do, but people do over do it a lot. I personally have to do about 90 mins of cardio A WEEK in order to loss weight. I LOVE doing HITT but I wont loss anything if thats all I do.
  • soonerthanlater
    soonerthanlater Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Will be sharing w/ my friends.
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    She has heart and lung endurance training mentioned in there...

"Next in the order of importance is some type of metabolic work. This includes things like intervals, sprints, and complexes. These have a way of making curse words fly out of your mouth as you wonder if it’s possible for your heart to physically burst out of your chest."

Sprinting and interval training will strengthen your heart and lungs. oh the burn!
  • it_be_asin
    Options
    Still reckon she'd die after an hour on a bushwalk.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't think she has a nice *kitten*? ...

Yes, I think it is just you! :bigsmile:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't think she has a nice *kitten*? ...

Yes, I think it is just you! :bigsmile:
    yep :D
  • chrisdavey
    Options

LOL. She plays rugby. As in 80minutes of running around tackling people.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    cardio is a joke
  • it_be_asin
    Options

LOL. She plays rugby. As in 80minutes of running around tackling people.

I stand corrected. She does know the value of endurance. That's my problem with a lot of the weight training types, great at raw strength, not so great at sustained effort.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'd say there's nothing wrong with adding in some cardio. Anything in extremes is pretty dull and not what I'm digging. I try for about 20-30 minutes of cardio 3-5 days of the week. I enjoy it and it really does help me mentally a lot more than lifting does (with weight lifting I have to really concentrate on form/technique/etc.; when I run or go on the elliptical I can just let loose).
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    interesting. will read later
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Not keen on this... weights are good, I wouldn't knock adding them into any workout routine, but cardio is for your heart, not just a calorie burn. Plus as she said, a lot of people want to train to get fit and healthy, not just to shape up.

If you work a hard enough weights circuit you can get a good burn on too, but I always intersperse a set of high intensity intervals/sprints on the treadmill/rower to keep my heart rate high and me burning! Squats essential. Lunges, squat jumps great. Dead lifts OK-Watch your back. Kettle bell or barbell clean and press, swings, snatches, all good too. Proper calisthenics like pressups, burpees, squat jumps are fab. sprinters, the plank, situps, crunches, bicycles, obliquev twists and crunches. Compound movements such as lunge with a hammer curl or side lunge with anterior raise also great.

But essentially you're making a weights circuit a joint cardio and strength circuit.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Love it :heart:
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    A combo of strength training (heavy weights) 2-3 days a week, with some cardio (HIITT routines are good) will give a better well rounded health picture, and better over all fat loss, and body composition. Don't totally skip cardio, just use it for what it is, and know its limits

For those who skip weights because of "no cal burn" - you are not figuring it correctly for MFP. :)

Use a Heart Rate Monitor, add it under MFP under Exercises, then My Exercises, then Create Exercise. Create a cardio exercise for your weight routine, name it what you will. Add your cal burn from your HRM. Its not 100 percent perfect, but you can use the calorie burn for a rough guide- I do it all the time, and have been consistently losing weight AND fat.

Or list your weight routine under CIRCUIT TRAINING, under Cardio, and list minutes.

I use a fast paced weight lifting circuit also, so mine is also cardio and strength, both.

As for "not getting that butt at age whatever" - I am 47, my butts very darn close to that - weighted squats, weighted lunges and lots of them with heavy weights can get you there, but you also need to drop your bodyfat. I started at age 42. Lost 60 lbs. You would be surprised what you can do with lifting heavy things.

This girl is 40, and has great abs. Probably a good butt also. May not be everyone's preferred look, but shows age is not a factor. Don't limit yourself. :)

[url] http://nataliejillfitness.com/everyone-has-ab [/url]

Rob-hammer-2-199x300.jpg
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    HRM's aren't actually accurate for strength training or interval training. Best to be conservative & use MFP's (low) numbers.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    HRM's aren't actually accurate for strength training or interval training. Best to be conservative & use MFP's (low) numbers.

I've always hoped MFP strength training numbers were low