Tell me your favorite good food & offer a recipe using it.

Options
I hope this thread gets some attention.
My new favorite food is AVOCADO. Not sure how I went 24 years without really trying it.

I'm trying to find some recipes with it.

I'm curious to know what food you guys can't live without. And if you have a recipe, please share!

Replies

• BettyyRoss
    BettyyRoss Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love avocado as well. I love cutting it up and throwing it in stews once the stew is cooked of course, not during lol.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. If you see anything you like, I will give you the recipe. Everything I eat is home made. By me or my lovely bride.
  • OrangeCamera
    Options
    Recently I've been trying different Moroccan dishes, and this one has become a favorite. It's reaaaallllly good, and only 292 calories per serving. I served it with Jasmine Rice.

Moroccan Vegetable Stew
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/moroccan-vegetable-stew-10000001140618/

Ingredients
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with the side of a knife
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    5 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I didn't have this, so I just used water and it came out great)
    4 carrots (12 oz. total), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch lengths
    2 1/2 cups diced peeled eggplant
    2 1/2 cups sliced (1/2 in. thick) zucchini
    2 cups cauliflower florets (I used frozen)
    1 cup diced onion (about 5 oz.)
    2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) stewed tomatoes
    1 can (15 oz.) garbanzos, drained and rinsed
    3/4 cup dried currants (I didn't have any, so I used golden raisins)
    1 cup chopped toasted almonds
    1/2 tablespoon kosher salt Preparation

1. Pour olive oil into a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and spices and cook, stirring often until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes, being careful not to scorch the garlic. Scrape the mixture into a slow-cooker (at least 5 qt.).

2. Add broth, carrots, eggplant, zucchini, cauliflower, onion, stewed tomatoes (with juices), garbanzos, currants, almonds, and salt, and stir to combine.

3. Cover slow-cooker and cook on high until vegetables are tender to bite and flavors are blended, 8 to 9 hours.

4. Ladle about 3 cups of the vegetable mixture into a blender. Holding lid down with a towel and taking care to avoid steam, whirl until smooth. Return purée to slow-cooker and stir to blend. Ladle stew into a tureen or individual bowls.
  • OrangeCamera
    Options
    oops, posted twice :/
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    So good, you shared it twice. Looks good.
  • Bexx435
    Bexx435 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love to make a homemade marinara sauce. I don't have a recipe but basically I spritz a sauce pan with olive oil then saute garlic and onions until the onions are translucent. I then throw in some chopped up tomatoes (I prefer campari), salt and pepper, basil, oregano, and thyme (although you could use an italian seasoning blend instead) and let it simmer. You can add some sugar to cut down the bitterness, although I usually use just a pinch of baking soda and that seems to do the trick. Serve it over pasta, chicken, spaghetti squash (my favorite), or whatever you want.... Delish!
  • AmyMK
    AmyMK Posts: 164
    Options
    Quinoa! I use it in the place of pasta and rice...it's easy to make and super healthy.

I usually make my version of quinoa spaghetti...
    2 cups of quinoa cooked with some worcheshire sauce and garlic.
    1-2 shredded chicken breast (can be done by boiling it for about 10 minutes)
    Saute chicken breast in a tbsp of olive oil and garlic (to taste), add in whatever veggies you wish to add - I usually mix in carrots, peppers, onion, celery and zucchini.
    Once your veggies are cooked, mix in quinoa and 1-1.5 cup of spaghetti sauce - I use either home made, or if I'm feeling lazy the Healthy Choice Onion and Garlic in a can.
    Heat on high for approx 5 minutes until sauce is hot.

It literally takes me 15-20 minutes to make this dish, is an awesome left over and freezes well. The recipe above will serves 2
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yall are making me hungry!

I do need to embrace quinoa more. I like it but don't eat it often.
  • AmyMK
    AmyMK Posts: 164
    Options
    Yall are making me hungry!

I do need to embrace quinoa more. I like it but don't eat it often.

It took me a while to fully embrace it - I got sick of eating it as it was, so have got creative with some awesome recipes I found on pintrest, and some trial and error.

Here is another recipe for quinoa burgers I found - they are delicious wrapped with lettuce or just with veggies

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/