Lent....

Options
I am having a hard time figuring out what to give up for lent...I have already given up coffee and sodas....I was wondering if bread is a good thing to give up since I love it so much...let me know what you think and it you have any suggestions. I don't really have anyting else in my life that I can give up besides things that I am eating.....
I guess what I', asking is what would you give up for 40 days?
thanks everyone!!
:bigsmile:

Replies

• kerilayne
    Options
    I am having a hard time figuring out what to give up for lent...I have already given up coffee and sodas....I was wondering if bread is a good thing to give up since I love it so much...let me know what you think and it you have any suggestions. I don't really have anyting else in my life that I can give up besides things that I am eating.....
    I guess what I', asking is what would you give up for 40 days?
    thanks everyone!!
    :bigsmile:
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    Well, I am not Catholic but I am a christian and I know a bit about it. The whole point of lent is about sacrifice, not about food. I don't think that it matters what you give up, it could be bread or it could be tv. The point is finding something you love and sacrificing it for the Lord. It's all a fast for God but fasting doesn't just apply to food when it comes to faith. Choose what is spiritually right for you, don't let your diet be a factor. :heart:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Give up a TV show and walk around the block instead.
    DO NOT GIVE UP BREAD! Unless it is the white bread that has almost no redeaming value what so ever. So you can give up the white bread for only whole wheat bread.
    If you are stuck on giving up a food, Give up FRIED FOODS INSTEAD!
    Or better yet. For the full lengths of lent. Give up ALL FAST FOOD PLACES!
    No Burger King, No Taco Bell, No Wendy's, No KFC, No McDonalds....
    Jusesgirl is right, it is not all about food but the sacrifice for God. :heart:
    --Diann..
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    You can also do something (rather than give up something):
    Here are some of the resolutions my family came up with:
    1. pick up litter
    2. do something nice for someone you don't know, don't like, or who cannot return the favor
    3. organize: office, drawer, whatever
    4. no surfing on weekends (that's internet, not waves)
    5. be a secret santa (pal) to someone
    6. don't talk on the cell phone around other people
    7. sit-ups/push-ups everyday
    8. donate all change to charity - so for the 40 days of lent, you would put all your coins in a box and give that to charity
    9. clean the closets: give up 5 lbs worth of stuff every week.

Best of luck with your choice.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    1. pick up litter
    2. do something nice for someone you don't know, don't like, or who cannot return the favor
    8. donate all change to charity - so for the 40 days of lent, you would put all your coins in a box and give that to charity

I like this Mary, This is a good thing that we should be thinking of year round, not just at Christmas.
    To be as spiritual as possible to be a joy for others. THIS is the meaning of stewardship. and I am sure that this would shine in Gods Eyes just as well if not better then giving up bread for 40 days.
    Being the best that we can be sounds like a good thing for us to strive for.
    --Diann...
  • Erica92627
    Options
    I like that list .. Number 8 is pretty cool.

I think you should go for staying away from fast food places. That is an idea.

With jesusgrl14 said, it is not about yourself, but for God. I'm not catholic but I have friends who are and they seem to relate this time for themselves. "I can't do this" " I can't do that" Just do it I tell them. If you feel you cannot do it because you'll be deprived, then that is what you should be giving up. :smile: Just think, Jesus gave up his life for us, you're giving up 40 days of not having something. Do it for yourself, not the diet. :smile:
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Every year I go through the same dilemma.....what to give up for 40 long days! I say if giving up bread will be a sacrifice then go for it. My husband has come up with some rather creative things to give up for lent over the years.......fidelity, the kids, doing work around the house, his job, etc. but once I pointed out that it was to be a sacrifice then he usually just gives up some type of food. lol.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    1. pick up litter

I like this Mary, This is a good thing that we should be thinking of year round, not just at Christmas.
    To be as spiritual as possible to be a joy for others. THIS is the meaning of stewardship. and I am sure that this would shine in Gods Eyes just as well if not better then giving up bread for 40 days.
    Being the best that we can be sounds like a good thing for us to strive for.
    --Diann...

Yeah, we are doing something different every month (rather than a new year's resolution) - so we improve ourselves each month - don't have to be religious to do that.:smile:
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Awesome list marywilldiet...

I will print and remind myself again what Lent is about. Doing something every day to make myself a better person.

Thanks for putting some thought into it and sharing it with us.
    Angela
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I think giving up meat on Fridays should be enough. Just kiding. My family tries to do something nice for people. Also extra prayers. You could also make a commitment to yourself for daily exercise or devotionals.

The Lent after my son was born I gave up icecream and lost 30 pounds. I think the Swans man thought I was mad at him, but I had to tell him to quit stopping because I can't resist their Icecream.