Anyone else protein-restricted?

Options
Is anyone else out there dealing with a protein-restricted diet?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Kidney issues?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Maybe-- waiting for lab results before I'll know. I sure hope not though because I love me some protein.
  • twentycent
    Options
    Unless medically prescribed for treatment of a disorder. Always a bad idea. Whole protien sources are a priority if combining exercise and diet.
  • ebeth_s
    ebeth_s Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Kidney issues?

Yes.

My kidneys failed in 2001 due to a reaction with penicillin. With dialysis support and large doses of steroids, I regained normal kidney function. However, I still output too much protein in my urine. The condition is rare, so they don't have enough data to establish "normal" in patients like me. So, I'm on protein restrictions. I also have to avoid any medications that are processed through the kidneys.

I also have to avoid shellfish, cured meats, red meats, organ meats, and dried beans due to gout.

I've worked with a dietician, but it's still a challenge.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have lupus and protein output in my urinanalysis. :/ I know it's rough to be sick. Add me if you need support from someone who gets being chronically ill.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Wow! If your condition has a name chances are you can find groups here or on the web.
    I havent a clue though!
    Hugs and good luck!
  • ebeth_s
    ebeth_s Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have lupus and protein output in my urinanalysis. :/ I know it's rough to be sick.

I have been tested for lupus. I have many indicators but they aren't enough to get a definitive diagnosis. I have a cousin with lupus. She's been doing well for awhile, but she had some rough times.

My original issue was allergic interstitial nephritis caused by penicillin I was taking for an ear infection. Then I dealt with the aftermath of the treatment, which caused Cushing's Syndrome.