Disneyland Food- what's worth the splurge?

Options

Replies

• momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE the churros!
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    Best churros on the planet!!!! Get your own and do NOT share!!!!
  • tobiwood1977
    Options
    The vegetarian gumbo in the bread bowl YUMMMMMM
  • tricia19444
    Options
    I love Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney... Its a very easy to walk to from either park, or take the Monorail from Tomorrowland. We found the food to be really good, the service friendly and the alcohol plenty. I have teenagers and a few times we let the kids hit the parks with friends, and sat there and listened to live music. Did I mention that the food was delish?
  • tricia19444
    Options
    Oh and I meant to say they had nutritional info on their foods, Its California law that restaurants have their calories posted or in menus. I remember Carnation Cafe having it posted, but can't say I remember anywhere else.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I went on holiday to Disneyworld on an almost yearly basis. And I lived off this cottage cheese and fruit plate they did in one of the places there, it was really nice and healthy, to my recall.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You're in Disneyland and I bet with your kids, right? So why restrict yourself? I'm going to the Dominican soon and do you think I'll be worrying? No because one week will not cause any fat gain assuming you don't eat to the point of nausea. Forget about "healthy" eating and, please, enjoy yourself and the delightful food you have near you. We don't always get these opportunities throughout the year, so don't waste it being anal about food.
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The giant turkey leg. It was so big that DH,DD and I all ate one turkey leg plus 2 corn on the cobs.

I guess next time I go I'll have to try the churro and pineapple whip!
  • Judanjos
    Judanjos Posts: 87
    Options
    Disneyland has about three fruit carts with bananas, apples, water orange juice, apple juice etc. I know about two...One on main street on your right coming into the park. There is another in New Orleans square just past the Haunted mansion and across from splash mountain. These have apple chips and hummus etc. Good for a healthy meal. Most areas sell a toddler meal that includes yogurt, string cheese, choice of boxed juice and I buy these for myself as a snack if I am craving. There are fish dishes that are grilled, just back off the rice and ask for double veggies. There are turkey legs in fantasy land. Awesome by the way!

Drink plenty of water and remember...all that walking...burns a ton of calories. I know..I was just there today! lol
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Giant turkey leg

YES!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    giant turkey leg and the gourmet caramel popcorn
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Last time we were at DL I logged an average of 20 miles per day so I don't fret over a little splurge. We generally hike to Bubba Gumps on Katella for lunch - return to the park and hike to Tony Roma's across the street for dinner and then back to the park. I try to make good food choices but we do so much power walking for our fast passes that I never gain weight.
  • DBBA21
    DBBA21 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    :smile: Bump
  • vicky1966
    vicky1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bubba gumps on katella has awesome salads ....my big weakness is the beignets at downtown disney ....nom nom nom ....40 more days and we will be there!!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    LOVE the Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney, their food is SO good!

When we went this past Monday I went to the Jolly Holiday Bakery and had a seasonal chocolate raspberry cupcake. It was SOOO rich! Absolutely amazing tasting, had whole raspberries inside plus a raspberry mousse type filling, and was topped with a dark chocolate mousse and even had gold glittery stuff on top. It was delicious AND pretty! lol I couldn't finish it and had to give half to my husband. Here's a web link reviewing the bakery with pics of the goodies too!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/01/06/dining-in-disneyland-first-look-the-jolly-holiday-bakery/

I also love the Cone Shop on Main Street. You can get a huge waffle cone with two scoops for less than 5 bucks-definitely one of the less expensive treats at Disney!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Disneyland-Pineapple Whip! Served in front of the Tiki room. Don't get the float-ruins the taste of the whip and adds too many calories. 1/2 cup serving is 110 calories.
    For splurge, the BBQ place that is right by Jungle Cruise and Indiana Jones is pretty darned good. I usually would just get a veggie burger at the swiss family robinson looking place by the carousel/Dumbo since I always went with my girls.
    CHURROS!
    California Adventure-there is a tortilla factory that hands out free samples(tortillas-the small ones), so I would always go there for a free snack. Not much is free there;-)
    Splurge-Their Mexican place, take out place(chinese I guess) are decent. I haven't eaten at any of the sit down places there.
    My fav is at a little stand near the entrance to Bug Land. It is a chicken wrap with grapes, and a honey yogurt sauce.

As an FYI, you can bring in ANYTHING EXCEPT GLASS, so I would most always take fruit, sandwiches, granola bars, etc with me(I had season passes for 2 years and took my 2 young kids with me, so...) We'd always get pineapple whip-a true treat and relatively cheap for DL.
    ETA: If you know anyone in the S.CA area, ask them if their companies are members of Club 33. It is a long shot as it is exclusive, but my old company were members before the economy went south so I got to go. TOTALLY worth the $$$ to see a piece of DL history that even the majority of workers don't even get to see.

Churros for sure!! Delicious!!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    churros!!!! Lots and lots of churros.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I love Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney... Its a very easy to walk to from either park, or take the Monorail from Tomorrowland. We found the food to be really good, the service friendly and the alcohol plenty. I have teenagers and a few times we let the kids hit the parks with friends, and sat there and listened to live music. Did I mention that the food was delish?
    I second Brennan's. Have a bowl of gumbo or some shrimp. 10X better then anything you'd find inside Disney.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Oh and I meant to say they had nutritional info on their foods, Its California law that restaurants have their calories posted or in menus. I remember Carnation Cafe having it posted, but can't say I remember anywhere else.
    That's only for restaurants that have a certain number plus of outlets. Most big chains. You never find this information for independent or smaller size chains (I ate at CPK last night and was surprised that it wasn't on their menu. I thought they were a larger chain then that)
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I second Brennan's. Have a bowl of gumbo or some shrimp. 10X better then anything you'd find inside Disney.

You can eat at the Jazz Kitchen Express, too. It's less crowded, you can order take out, and some items aren't too expensive. We went for lunch and had the gumbo and I had a fried chicken po' boy (I don't even eat fried chicken most of the time but this was DELICIOUS!) with cajun fries-altogether I think it was like 12 or 14 dollars. For 13 bucks at Disneyland you'd get a little hamburger or cheeseburger and fries-I couldn't even finish all of my lunch from the JKE. I had to give half my sandwich and fries to hubby.