Morning Excercises

Options
Hello All,
I am starting a new workout routine due to my schedule changes and I will have to workout in the morning from now on. So I was wondering if anyone had ANY advice and/or tips on morning workouts. I will be having to start my workout anywhere from 6:00-7:00 am and I am scared out of my mind!! I am worried that I will be too tired for work or just all of this crazy stuff. So if anyone has any advice on early morning workouts in general, let me know. Thanx.

Replies

• Teria
    Teria Posts: 36
    Options
    Hello All,
    I am starting a new workout routine due to my schedule changes and I will have to workout in the morning from now on. So I was wondering if anyone had ANY advice and/or tips on morning workouts. I will be having to start my workout anywhere from 6:00-7:00 am and I am scared out of my mind!! I am worried that I will be too tired for work or just all of this crazy stuff. So if anyone has any advice on early morning workouts in general, let me know. Thanx.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    during the week I am at the gym the moment it opens at 5 a.m., work out for about an hour and then work. I find that I have more energy the rest of the day than when I dont go. I find also that if I eat a low fat granola bar or something prior to going, or right when I am done, it helps as it gives my body energy.

I think, all in all, it is about getting there, and getting used to it... good luck and have fun!
  • amdavies
    amdavies Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, morning exercise can seem quite scary when you set out, but be reassured; once you get up and get out it feels great to exercise first thing. The exercise, far from wearing you out, will leave you feeling energised and ready for the day.

I always find that it is best to get straight out of bed and go! that way you can wash etc. when you get back and there is less room for you to back out!

also... if you are exercising in public (cycling or running) it means there are less people up and around to witness you looking puffy, red-cheeked and out of breath!

good luck!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym in the morning. I am not too tired during the day, rather I am energized and pumped to get going.

My hisband and I wake up at 5, have a cup of hot water with lemon and then get our butts out the door. I like to shower at home as opposed to at the gym so we come home one eats breakfast while the other showers and then we switch it around.

I don't feel like exercising in the evenings. My job can be stressful and I like to unwind with a walk and then I am a couch potato
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If your gonna go to the gym in the morning or you are going to workout early before work, be sure you are getting enough sleep the night before.......I used to go to bed late and get up early for the gym and was draggin *kitten* all day....sleep is mandatory in this weight loss/healthy journey............and lotsa water....

my 2 cents good luck :flowerforyou:
  • cristy333
    cristy333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i work out at home with a DVD. I am doing the 30 day shred in the morning. There are 3 routines for only 20 min each. Due to my schedule, i also try to sneak in exercise wherever i can. I also take a walk during my lunchbreak for about 30 min.

I think it's nice to break up the exercise throughout the day. you won't feel so overwhelmed.

Also, when you start working out in the morning, once you've gone a week straight, you'll definitely notice a difference. I'm more awake an alert in the mornings now.

good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • knlamb10
    knlamb10 Posts: 33
    Options
    Morning exersizes are hard at first... but once you have your shoes on and you are ready to go they are great... plus you actually feel more energized during the day... and by time you get home you feel more accomplished because you actually get to have more YOU time. (Or if you anything like me, more time to do the laundry, vacuum etc. :laugh:

Oh and I am told it really starts your metabolism if you do them first thing! Even better!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Exercise is actually most effective when started first thing in the morning. Just be sure to have breakfast afterward, preferably with some protein.

I only have a cup of water when I wake up. Then I do 20 minutes of yoga (I alternate between power yoga and yoga zone). For breakfast I have a soy protein shake (blended with frozen fruit), and some cereal on the side if I have the appetite.

I just started that routine on Wednesday and it's given me a huge boost in energy. I even find myself wanting to exercise more, and even attempt more challenging things.

What do you normally do for exercise or eat for breakfast?
  • nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have your clothes, shoes, water, keys, coat all layed out the night before. When your alarm goes off....just sit up and get yourself dressed. Go into the bathroom, pee, brush your teeth, fix your hair. Grab your keys and water and head to the gym.
    The longer you lay in bed, the more comfy you will get and procrastinate. Just get up and go!!

(Im sure you are supposed to eat before you go, but its way too early for me to. I drink water there and eat when I come home)

That's what works for me :tongue:
    Good Luck!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to fix your hair before you go to the gym? I feel sorry for the people at my gym, they see Medusa!
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 36
    Options
    Thank You everyone!!!!!

I usually do various workouts, some days I run, other days I do yoga, some days I do weights. I really do not have a set routine. BUT right now I am going to start running for about an hour and then doing some stretching/resistance (very light weight) afterward, It is the only thing that actually works for me. And for breakfast I will have a smoothie, or cereal, maybe toast and eggs, it all just depends on the day.

Newho, I really appreciate all of the feedback. I am just getting the feeling that working out in the morning seems scary but actually is awesome (I hope). So I think I am gonna dive in this tommorow morning! Wish me Luck and once again, thank you all for all of the advice. I will post an update after a couple of days.
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Hey there,
    I was just lurking around and I saw your post; it made me smile~ I work out every morning b/w 4:45 and 545 every morning. I had to change it to that due to my work schedule. I thought it would make me tired and at first it did ( I work a 10 hr day!) After the first week or so It was great and has been ever since - and I have been doing this since I joined MFP in Jan 09. I've lost about 14 lbs and am closer to my goal weight than i've ever been.
    Don't be afraid to try something new ~ I am doing "2 a days" now - about an hr in the morining and maybe another 45 min when I get home. The great thing is my workout is done and the rest of the day I can focus on my other commitments knowing i've kept my commitment to myself. and that feels really, really good! any other work I get to put in is like icing on the cake!!

Good luck ~ experiment, I'm sure you'll find a routine that works for you:flowerforyou:
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I too had to change to AM work outs due to change in work schedule. I make my lunch the night before as well as get the coffee pot ready and have my gym bag packed with my work clothes. I get up at 430 to make it there by five. There are days I really don't want to go but I know if I don't I wont go at all that day. I do have more energy during the day. I usually grab a granola bar or banana on my way to work. Good luck and the first week is the hardest.
  • utexashorns
    Options
    Your metabolism is highest in the morning- this is a fact. Make sure you eat when you get up too. This is a great way to do intervals and get a "slow burn" for hours. This means that you could actually see an increase in weight loss if you maximize this opportunity!
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I cannot wake up early enough to get myself to the gym. For minimum time, I sleep in something that will pass as gym clothes and go for a 30 minute power walk in the neighborhood before I shower or anything. This way, there's no excuse.
    I use Kathy Smith's power walking CD. I makes me go faster. She has 60 minute ones, too.