Cauliflower pizza crust!

Options
1 cup "riced" cauliflower (shredded)
1 oz LF ricotta
1 oz light mozzarella
1/4 cup egg beaters
seasoning to taste (garlic, onion, italian seasoning, basil, etc.)
Olive oil spray

Pre-heat oven to 425* F.  Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  (It's easiest to "rice" the cauliflower with a food processor but you can shred it with a regular shredder too.  Be warned--it STINKS when it's raw.  Once it was cooked, though, it smelled good.)  It's going to look really weird, but it mixes up easily with just a serving spoon.  I put Italian seasoning in this batch but I'm planning to try garlic in the next one.  Or onion.  Yum.

Divide the cauli up evenly.  (Mine came out to around 200 grams/pizza but you could probably eyeball it if you weren't measuring for nutritional purposes.  Speaking of which, you could probably use regular ricotta and cheese too if you wanted.)  Tonight I used a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper (NOT waxed paper--apparently it will stick really bad) and sprayed with olive oil.  Smash the cauli down to form a crust shape.  The thinner it is, the crispier it is.  I will probably aim for even thinner next time, but we could pick ours up to eat it.  It doesn't matter how close together the edges get because the "crust" will shrink a little as it cooks.

Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes total, depending on your oven.  I went for 60 because we have a German oven and, quite frankly, they aren't very good.  Around the 40 minute point I pulled the crusts out, flipped them over (they separated from the parchment paper easily with a spatula), and then put them back in for 20 more minutes.  (I switched the top cookie sheet to the bottom and the bottom to the top at that point too.)  

When you take the crusts out they will probably be kind of brown around the edges but it doesn't taste burnt at all.  It's just crispy and yummy!  Top the pizza with whatever you want.  I used 1/3 cup diced tomatoes (doctored up with garlic, crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning, and baking soda), a 5-cheese Italian mix, and some turkey pepperoni for one.  The sky's the limit, though.  These would taste good with ANYTHING that you put on regular pizza.  (I would love to hear how it tastes with BBQ sauce and chicken.  I can't have that right now but it sounds sooooo good.)  Toss the pizza back into the oven long enough for the cheese to melt and look yummy.  Take it out, cut it up, and eat it!

I haven't done this yet, but supposedly you can freeze any extra crusts.  To reheat you just put them in the oven at 425* F for 10-12 minutes and you're good to go.  (Put the toppings on after you reheat and then put them in to cook.)

Replies

• phoenix9115
    Options
    wow hun! thanks for the recipe!! ive got a few great ones too let me know if you would like any! got a great hamburger vegetable soup that is super yummy and filling and pretty much fat free and loaded with good stuff!! friend me!:wink:
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This looks fantastic, I love cauliflower! How many pizza "shells" does this recipe make?
  • change_happens
    Options
    saw this on dr. oz. thanks for the share.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    bump...I have a bunch of cauliflower and was thinking of something new.
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sounds good but I hate that there's like 1oz of two different cheeses.. it's not easy to just buy an ounce of cheese.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    This looks fantastic, I love cauliflower! How many pizza "shells" does this recipe make?

I'm not sure. It is my sisters recipe, I just ate it. I will ask though!
  • JayPeazy
    JayPeazy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bumpskies
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i made this recipe before. It is not exactly healthy though. It has a very high fat content from all the cheese (even if you do use light)!
    I think it was probably invented by someone one an akins style diet who wanted to avoid carbs at all cost.
    Better off using a flat bread as a pizza base.
  • Munchi8175
    Munchi8175 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump...I have a bunch of cauliflower and was thinking of something new.

Same here, by the way what is LF ricotta??
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    now there is something i would like to try out