canned pink samlon?

Options
I just bought some pink salmon in a can and have no idea what to add to it! I have never had salmon to beging with so im hoping ya'll can help me....

about how much salmon and ingreadents?

its a 3.5 oz can and has no bones and no skin?

PLEASE HELP!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• carolstrange0
    Options
    I just bought some pink salmon in a can and have no idea what to add to it! I have never had salmon to beging with so im hoping ya'll can help me....

about how much salmon and ingreadents?

its a 3.5 oz can and has no bones and no skin?

PLEASE HELP!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    mix with 1-2 egg whites and some bread crumbs and onions ..sorry I just wing it I dont have a recipe..make patties and bake them:drinker:
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    I love salmon! Canned salmon makes quick and easy meals since it's already cooked.

I usually buy the 6 oz cans and make salmon cakes, 2 3oz ones. Add some seafood seasoning (I recommend Old Bay, but I don't know if that's just a Mid-Atlantic thing and you can't get it everywhere) with chopped onion & green peppers to the salmon, and mix it up. Form patties and cook them with either vegetable oil or some cooking spray until they're heated through and get a little brown on both sides. You could eat them just like that, or treat them like you would a hamburger and make a sandwich out of them.

You could also drain it really well and add it to a big salad with some type of vinaigrette dressing.

Drain it, and put it on wheat crackers with low fat cream cheese for a snack

I'm sure there are other things to do with it, but those are my favorites. Hope this helps, and by the way, you got me in the mood to make salmon cakes for dinner now haha. :tongue:
  • melodydawn
    melodydawn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Nope, Old Bay is not just a mid-Atlantic thing.
    I'm from Western Canada where there is an abundance of raw and canned salmon!
    Yes Old Bay is great with all Seafood.
    You can add canned Salmon to veggie casseroles.
    Salmon goes great with Asparagus, Spinach or Broccoli in raw salads or baked dishes.
    You can make a chick-pea salad with lots of raw veggies and celery with canned salmon.
    Make a "tuna melt" with salmon in lieu of tuna and swiss or mozza in lieu of cheddar and bake.
    Salmon is great with wild rices.
    You can make nearly every kind of salad wtih salmon including potato and macaroni.
    Just reduce amount of carbs ie: potato and macaroni and replace half the carbs with celery, cucumber, tomato, broccoli (raw), shredded carrots etc.
    Bon Appetite!
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There is a nice south beach (low carb and fat ) chowder recipe that uses canned salmon, skim milk and turnip in place of potatoes...you can probably find it online if you google it. It is surprisingly delicious, and I like my seafood (I'm from Cape Breton island).
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    mix with 1-2 egg whites and some bread crumbs and onions ..sorry I just wing it I dont have a recipe..make patties and bake them:drinker:

I do the same, its delicious, except mine is loaf style. Onions, garlic, bread or cracker crumbs-1/2-3/4 cup, eggs, 1/2 can of cream of celery or mushroom, 1 tblsp butter melted. this is all combined with a 14.5 oz can of "Double Q" wild alaskan salmon.

170 calories per serving with 6-8 servings per loaf
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options

I do the same, its delicious, except mine is loaf style. Onions, garlic, bread or cracker crumbs-1/2-3/4 cup, eggs, 1/2 can of cream of celery or mushroom, 1 tblsp butter melted. this is all combined with a 14.5 oz can of "Double Q" wild alaskan salmon.

170 calories per serving with 6-8 servings per loaf

it's 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of cream of soup, 1 cup crumbs, onions- grated, 1 tbsp. butter, tall can of salmon
    TO BE EXACT!!!! BAKE @ 350 FOR 38 MINUTES- LOAF STYLE IN A GREASED PAN.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    My wife makes curry with this canned salmon and I LOVE IT!!!!

Begin by preparing the salmon (remove bones and skin).

Use 1 tablespoon of canola or olive oil and heat until light colored smoke starts to rise. Reduce the heat. Then put in desired amount of onion, garlic, and some ginger. Add a teaspoon of curry spice and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric. Cook mixture until onions and garlic are light brown. Next add 1 or 2 diced tomatoes and cook until they're soft.

Finally stir in the salmon, add some fresh chopped cilantro and let it simmer for a few minutes.

Serve with Basmati or Jasmin rice.

Caloric note: This isn't a whole lot of calories, but you'll have to enter the ingredients seperately to figure out the total content.

Cooking tips/notes: Make sure you do this in a well ventilated place (lots of smoke and tear-jerking smells). Add some hot Asian peppers or red pepper for some heat. I just love this stuff!!!!
  • anniepie77
    Options
    For simplicity's sake, you can mix in a spoonful of low fat mayo or really thick yogurt, some chopped celery, salt & pepper and serve it over a bed of lettuce or put it in a sandwich!

Also for canned tuna, drain it, mix in an avocado, a tbsp or so of lime or lemon juice, fresh cilantro. For presentation, pack it into a little bowl and turn it over onto a plate. Serve it with warm pita! Your guests will be impressed.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My sister and I absolutely love Rachael Ray's salmon burger recipe using the Old Bay seasoning, an egg, seasoned bread crumbs (we use italian), parsley, etc. I'm sure you can find the recipe on her website. :happy:
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    WOW

Thanks everyone for your replies!!

Im gonna try to try them all, they all sound delicious! :drinker:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if there is a brand of salmon that has no skin or bones ? I love salmon patties but yucky skin and bones just gross me out. Thanks, Cindy
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options
    I was wondering if there is a brand of salmon that has no skin or bones ? I love salmon patties but yucky skin and bones just gross me out. Thanks, Cindy

Chicken of the Sea and Bumble Bee have them in pouches and that eliminates the yucky stuff. Hope this helps!
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Thanks Queen! I'm going to add this to my shopping list! Cindy :heart: