Kind of Gross so Beware

Options
alapointe
alapointe Posts: 369 Member
Has anyone else had issues when they increase their fiber intake? I have been trying to increase my fiber so I saw these Thomas English Muffins with Double Fiber (5grams) and thought this would be great. Oh my goodness the stomach pains and problems were horrible. It went away after I stopped eating them so I am pretty sure it was that.

I also got this same problem after eating those FIber One bars after the 3rd one over 3 days I was in so much pain, and had really bad diarreha. So then I wait a week get back to normal and try a high fiber cereal. Again I have the same issues. This is the only change i have been making in my diet or excercise so i am not sure what is going on. Any ideas?

Replies

• alapointe
    Options
    Has anyone else had issues when they increase their fiber intake? I have been trying to increase my fiber so I saw these Thomas English Muffins with Double Fiber (5grams) and thought this would be great. Oh my goodness the stomach pains and problems were horrible. It went away after I stopped eating them so I am pretty sure it was that.

I also got this same problem after eating those FIber One bars after the 3rd one over 3 days I was in so much pain, and had really bad diarreha. So then I wait a week get back to normal and try a high fiber cereal. Again I have the same issues. This is the only change i have been making in my diet or excercise so i am not sure what is going on. Any ideas?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You have to increase fiber verrrrrry slowly. Also, I find that bran, which is insoluble fiber, really gives me GI issues where as soluble fiber doesn't. I pretty much never eat beans, bran cereal, or Fiber One products because I already have IBS and that just makes it worse. I get my fiber from cooked vegetables that don't have casings, quick cooking oats, and pumpkin. If you're eating a low-fiber diet, just add a couple grams a day. A Fiber One bar has 9g, so you should save that for when you're used to higher fiber. Try eating 1/2 the english muffin instead of the whole thing.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    yep, that's the fibre. You have to increase your fibre really slowly or that happens... constipation, painful gas, bloating. It's really not fun.
  • dewmore
    dewmore Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi
    if you take fiber make sure you are drinking enough water or fiber will constipate you. also increase the fiber slowly. if you need fiber supplement benifiber can be mixed in water,soups ext o make them more filling. hope this helps
  • alapointe
    Options
    Thanks so much, that is probably my problem too much too fast. I am going to slow it down once i get myself back to normal.
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Why is it that everytime a topic says kinda gross I have to read! Hope your tum tum problems go away. Milk is what gives me the ickies. Oy!
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Why is it that everytime a topic says kinda gross I have to read!

Hahaha I do that too..

I agree with everyone else, too much fiber too fast isn't pretty!
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Also, I find that bran, which is insoluble fiber, really gives me GI issues where as soluble fiber doesn't.
    I don't eat fiber bars, so not sure about these but when it comes to bran, what i know is you shouldn't more than about 2-3 tablespoons a day of them and in general wheat bran bloats a lot more than oat bran, so i mostly use oat bran and haven't had problems. I don't normally have any constipation/gas issues except when I eat beans. :ohwell:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Also, I find that bran, which is insoluble fiber, really gives me GI issues where as soluble fiber doesn't.
    I don't eat fiber bars, so not sure about these but when it comes to bran, what i know is you shouldn't more than about 2-3 tablespoons a day of them and in general wheat bran bloats a lot more than oat bran, so i mostly use oat bran and haven't had problems. I don't normally have any constipation/gas issues except when I eat beans. :ohwell:

Well since I have IBS I am particularly sensitive to some foods. Beans, bran, dates, whey, and artificial sugars are triggers for me. But I can drink coffee without any issues, and that's a trigger for a lot of people with IBS. The Fiber One bars are SO tasty but I have serious issues digesting them. :frown:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Just so you all know, the fiber in those Fiber One bars comes from chicory root, not bran. I eat a pretty high fiber diet (25-30 grams a day), and those STILL give me issues. I steer clear of them and get my fiber from fruits, veggies, beans and whole grains.