I bought a hula hoop!

Options
mommared53
mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
I was at Wally World yesterday and they had hula hoops for $3.00 so I bought one. HOOWEEE!! Those things are hard to do. I haven't used a hula hoop since I was a kid. :laugh: I used to be really good at it but now I'm trying hard to get the hang of using one. No so easy now. :laugh: I'm going to keep at it though until I succeed. Does anyone else use a hula hoop and have any suggestions for me?

Replies

• mommared53
    Options
    I was at Wally World yesterday and they had hula hoops for $3.00 so I bought one. HOOWEEE!! Those things are hard to do. I haven't used a hula hoop since I was a kid. :laugh: I used to be really good at it but now I'm trying hard to get the hang of using one. No so easy now. :laugh: I'm going to keep at it though until I succeed. Does anyone else use a hula hoop and have any suggestions for me?
  • angeldeb71
    Options
    I don't use a hula hoop but I did hear that it can take inches off your waist. One of the girls at my gym had been doing it everyday for 15 mninutes and she said she saw results.... hmmmmm????

Might be the purchase of a lifetime! Good luck! :smile:
  • Cerabell18
    Cerabell18 Posts: 124
    Options
    A few years ago my mom bought a hula hoop that weighed 5 pounds...and the inside part of the hoop was wave so when you did it, it felt like a massage (only it hurt at first...). It really took inches off my mom's waist and strengthened her abs. I looked online and found them at sports-hoop.com. I'm thinking of getting one when I get a job. They aren't very expensive ($30). It worked really well for her and it was fun too.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I don't have a hula hoop (my condo is too small) but I do the hula hoop exercise on Wii Fit and when I first started it made my tummy hurt (in a good way) and I found it difficult to hold my arms up and out for a long time.

Good Luck.. and have hulava lot of fun! :happy:
  • utexashorns
    Options
    That is pretty darn creative- good idea! Thanks for sharing!
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    oh that's such a fun idea, thanks mommared :flowerforyou: i haven't tried one since a child... used to be good at it back then, actually did up to 3 of them together... and i was still a big fluffy kid, so not sure if it helps but at least it's fun...
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have a hula hoop DVD... but no hoop. Where's the cheapest but best online place to buy them? Anything below 30?
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    March 21, 2009: 159 - MINI GOAL! Gift: either a pedicure/manicure, or a hula hoop.

what's a simple pedicure compared to a hula hoop!!! :laugh:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    March 21, 2009: 159 - MINI GOAL! Gift: either a pedicure/manicure, or a hula hoop.

what's a simple pedicure compared to a hula hoop!!! :laugh:

They're both around the same price, sadly, though I suppose the hula hoop would last a lot longer! And come to think of it, I beat that goal already! :laugh: Gotta find a cheap hula hoop!
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    I want a hula hoop!!!
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a hula hoop!! :) It's not a sports hoop, but it definitely weighs more than a "normal" hoop you'd buy at the store. I bought mine from here: http://www.philthyhoops.com/ because they're local, but you can find lots online on etsy.com or other sites. It's fun to take to the park on a nice day and try to learn tricks! It's also fun to dance and such. I would say my abs are stronger, but I don't know what that's from since I also do lots of other activity.

Either way, it's a ridiculously fun way to get a little movement in. There are probably classes in your area that you could look into before buying one. Lots of folks teach hoop or hoop dance classes and will bring extra hoops for students to use.

I highly recommend it. It's so fun!! And the rhythmic nature of it is really relaxing.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I was looking into getting a hoola hoop last summer before I got a gym membership. A fitness trainer friend of mine said that if you have a jump rope, hoola hoop, and enough asphalt to jog on, you are all set for cardio and basic toning.

I am moving back to the States this fall and my budget may not allow me access to the gym... maybe I'll take my friend's advice!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I have a hula hoop too that I love :heart:

I paid a ridiculous price for mine though.... I can't seem to keep the toy store type up because they're so light! Although, I suppose if you filled it with sand it would work pretty good :wink:
  • mommared53
    Options
    Maybe I should get a heavier one. The one I got was just a toy one from WalMart.
  • Wolfena
    Options
    You can make one out of PVC pipe from your local hardware store.... After I spent 55$ on my set (2 arm hoops and one big one) I found simple directions that would be much cheaper! I will hunt down that site after work today and post it here.

:smile:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I love hula hoopin......I don't have one now though, I should go get one and do it at least 15 mins a day.....have you figured out how much you burn hullain????

Great Job!:flowerforyou:
  • nicolet04
    nicolet04 Posts: 830
    Options
    here's the website that tells you how to make your own...

http://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html
  • jennaxo
    jennaxo Posts: 4
    Options
    Hula hooping sounds like a great idea! I've heard of some people who have had great results. If you're looking for a cheap one (no weight) head to your local dollar store, mine always has hula hoops .. especially in the spring/summer time.

As for the weights, I'm sure there would be a way to cut a hole, empty a few bean bags (or other weighted beans) and glue the hula hoop back together!
  • Wolfena
    Options
    here's the website that tells you how to make your own...

http://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html

Thank you! :wink:
  • Wolfena
    Options
    I love hula hoopin......I don't have one now though, I should go get one and do it at least 15 mins a day.....have you figured out how much you burn hullain????

Great Job!:flowerforyou:

There's no good way to estimate... it depends on how hard you work it! I went back to my exercise log and see that I've burned as little as 46 calories and all the way up to 95 calories in 15 minutes of hooping (HRM reading)

I like to go back and forth from hooping to jumping rope to burn a lot more!