Am i doing this right?

Options
Ok, i have been a member since October and have lost 30lb which i am really pleased with. I have been doing the 30DS for a few weeks (today starting level 3). Over the last few weeks i have gained about 1lb. I have took measurements and have lost an inch here and there but not many. I feel like i am stalling but i'm not sure why. MFP had me on a daily allowance of 1220 cal. I have just manually upped my calories to 1400 per day as i am only 12lb from my target weight now. Is there anything else i can do to try and shift these last lbs? I am 5'4" and 147lb.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Those last few lbs are the hardest to shift and upping your calories is the way to go but you may see a gain at first...the less you have to lose the smaller the deficit should be but patience is going to be your best bet at this stage.

Well done on the 30lbs!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    are you eating your exercise calories?

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I am trying to eat my exercise calories, at the moment i feel like i am eating loads and it feels like i can't possibly lose weight by upping my calories, but i've seen enough stories on here to know otherwise. I just hope it works for me as it has for others. My BMI is 25.3 now so i am a touch away from that 'healthy weight' range. I'm not so concerned with the scale at the moment but i still have a lot of fat and flab on my body, so i am not done yet.

once i finish the shred i will probably focus on some cardio for a month or so and see how it goes. if anyone knows of any other good workouts for turning my flab into muscle please let me know.
  • sabmur
    sabmur Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i always find if im stalling i take a different class than i normally would, spinning or yoga etc and i mix up my foods a good bit..i sometimes find i can get into a rut and be eating more or less the same thing every week...

that seems to help me anyway
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    maybe i'll try some different workouts once i have finished the 30DS, thanks